PDA

View Full Version : New Sox Manager....Mark Grace?

Medford Bobby
07-14-2003, 11:45 AM
Think of it, this guy hates the Cups, has been working strategy during games with Brenly and the gang for the D Backs, coaching with their young guys and he's the last of the "Old :angry: School-- (even though I hate that term)--type of players who plays hard to win and hates guys that are slouching it on the field. I know he's had no official coaching experience, but this guy would be so motivated to bring a winnner to the southside and rub it in the Cups face, this would be a no brainer. :smile:

(And this would not be a Don Kessinger hire either) :whiner:

:pudge "Yea I'd manage the Sox too, but there would have to be a beer tapper installed in the clubhouse" :gulp:

Scotty347
07-14-2003, 11:48 AM
I think I'll pass.

voodoochile
07-14-2003, 11:48 AM
Um... no...

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-14-2003, 12:14 PM
well he cant coach us while he is still under contract with them

Hangar18
07-14-2003, 12:19 PM
Say....This is the way to THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX. This could be Huge PR Move for the Sox. The guy loves to talk, we could Bring
a little Bit of Camelot To the South Side with this move...the guy knows his baseball ..........

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-14-2003, 12:26 PM
what is more important though - a good pr move that sticks it to the cubs, OR a coach that is going to take us to the championship. grace hasnt coached one game in his life, (niether has Fisk) but going with a rookie manager who has never coached in any sort is a gamble, as is anyone.

Hangar18
07-14-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
what is more important though - a good pr move that sticks it to the cubs, OR a coach that is going to take us to the championship. grace hasnt coached one game in his life, (niether has Fisk) but going with a rookie manager who has never coached in any sort is a gamble, as is anyone.

Hmm thats a good point. Camelot or Championships.
With Camelot, the media will Fawn and Snicker at everything
Grace and the SOX do. The media will give us EXTRA EXTRA
Positive Coverage. This in turn will make the south side look
more Cheery and Pleasant, something the media hasnt been doing for us the last 15 yrs or so. THe extra Attention could
bring many many more Fans to the Cell making us suddenly
Nouveau Popular. Games would fill up, more SOX jerseys
would be sold, Grace quotes would fill the TV and Headlines.
Players would want to come here too....
on the other hand.....CHAMPIONSHIPS would Fix Everything........
But how would the Media Portray them?

Medford Bobby
07-14-2003, 12:55 PM
Boys thats my whole point of hiring Grace. It would be great if he got some managerial experience, like the Arizona Fall league. I know Wally Backman has got the same MLB experience as Grace, but does he light a :angry: fire in the media( as well as the Sox bench) as aGrace would? Wally is probably gonna be the next Sox manager, but it would be dull :whiner: readin' in the papers......

PS Love those old uni's yesterday :cool:

DrCrawdad
07-14-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Medford Bobby
...(And this would not be a Don Kessinger hire either) :whiner:

It would be exactly a Don Kessinger move, or maybe a Ron Santo move or some of the other picking thru the Cubbies garbage moves the Sox have historically made.

I don't want Mark Grace as a manager unless he's proved that he can do the job. I'd take Grace as a Sox announcer though.

hose
07-14-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
It would be exactly a Don Kessinger move, or maybe a Ron Santo move or some of the other picking thru the Cubbies garbage moves the Sox have historically made.

I don't want Mark Grace as a manager unless he's proved that he can do the job. I'd take Grace as a Sox announcer though.

Grace as a Sox announcer would probably be interesting.

jortafan
07-14-2003, 02:22 PM
I don't buy the notion that Grace now hates the Cubs.

He strikes me as being similar to David Wells, who was so eager to be a Yankee again. I imagine Grace would eat just about any sized lump of dog doo to get back in the Cubbie family again.

Nellie_Fox
07-14-2003, 02:25 PM
The last thing the Sox need to do is try to enhance their visibility through reflected Cub "glory." Fisk would generate every bit as much, if not more, media interest due to his tense relations with Sox management, and he is part of Sox history, not Cubs history.

xil357
07-14-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Say....This is the way to THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX. This could be Huge PR Move for the Sox. The guy loves to talk, we could Bring
a little Bit of Camelot To the South Side with this move...the guy knows his baseball ..........

Fisk for manager, Grace for color man alongside Hawk. Sorry DJ, we hardly knew ye.

Fisk knows how to handle pitchers, knows how to win, knows how to perform in the clutch, knows Chicago fans and media, would make a great tutor for "Pudge" Olivo, and would LIGHT A FIRESTORM under the lethargic clubhouse.

Bringing Grace aboard without Fisk would inivte the Cubs to steal Fisk in response.

Grace is more of a talker who would be better as a personality figure for the organization. Fisk is more of a swift arse-kicker, which is what a team that is batting .245, but which is capable of hitting .275, needs.

To complete the trifecta, bring Bo Jackson aboard as a co-owner and chairman of the board, allowing Jerry to take the less public but just as powerful role of CEO.

:gulp:

Hangar18
07-14-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
The last thing the Sox need to do is try to enhance their visibility through reflected Cub "glory."............ is part of Sox history, not Cubs history.

Yes, but that didnt stop the Cubs from "hiring" Harry Caray as
an announcer. And that didnt stop the Cubs from doing the
7th inning stretch thing

Medford Bobby
07-14-2003, 03:32 PM
:smile: Yea, but Cups have that respect for Grace as much as Andre Dawson. Here were guys that played hard for them, and WERE crapped on by the Cupune went they left the clubhouse. The only x Cup guy with God like status is Ryno. Again, what manager out there will really spark your interest in igniting the Sox and Media???? :?:

:harry&jimmy
"Remember tommorrow' s double header at Sox Park starts at 12:15 with Wibur Wood on the mound,..Eddie Leon has been hitless in this game, Harvey Ballgummer from Palatine is here rootin' for the Sox here today..ooooo Leon swung for the fense's.....also the first 10, 000 fans get a Falstaff Keg tapper tomorrow, ahhhh Leon p-o-p-s it u-p!!!!"

KingXerxes
07-14-2003, 03:37 PM
:hawk

"Yessir..................Ol' Mark Grace. He'd make a fine manager, but I gotta be honest DJ - I don't think he'd be right for this team."

:DJ

"Gee - I can only guess who you think would be the right guy."

"Mercy..........what we need here is somebody who can cinch it up, and strap it down while bowing his neck in order to hunker down while dialing it up.........Stretch!..........Stretch!........"

:DJ

"Are you saying it should be you?"

"Mercy........Ol' Hawk Harrelson, now he'd do some red-assing down there."

FarmerAndy
07-14-2003, 03:43 PM
I like Grace, he's a cool character. BUT...

1. He's never managed in his life.
2. He's expressed desire to coach/manage after retirment, but there have already been published reports that he intends to stay in the Diamondbacks organization after his playing days are through.

Fisk, he was my favorite player when I was growing up. Of course, he's never managed either. I've never even heard that Fisk was interested in managing.

Back to reality, folks.

KingXerxes
07-14-2003, 03:45 PM
:wills

"I think the lads need somebody who comes in with a fresh start. Somebody who actually never really got even close to putting together the beginning of a baseball career, so that person can use the fact that he has no idea what he's talking about to his advantage - now I don't know if that makes any sense or not, but it does to me."

:farmer

"While I usually agree with Willsy back in the studio, well what I mean is that he's usually back in the studio when I agree with him, no wait - what I mean is when we're back in the studio I agree with him but not when we're not in the studio..........no wait a minute - well not exactly sixty seconds it's just a figure of speech........Figure of Speech, kind of a curious term in that you can't see speech, unless you're looking at an oscilloscope, but you can see figures, and we've got some real great figures walking around the ballpark tonight, but not so good figures in the standings....well I guess that figures doesn't it?"

:wills

"I should be the manager, and anybody who doesn't agree is just a stupid drillrod Cub fan."

FarmerAndy
07-14-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Medford Bobby
Wally is probably gonna be the next Sox manager, but it would be dull :whiner: readin' in the papers......

I don't know for a fact, but I've heard that Wally Backman was kind of a "party guy" back in his playing days. He might have some personality. I'd like to give him a try.

It's always a popular idea to go with well known locals (Fisk, Grace, ect.), but in reality it doesn't really make those guys better suited for the job.

KingXerxes
07-14-2003, 03:58 PM
I don't think Wally Backman was much of a "party guy" when he played (the Mets in the 80's). He always struck me as being a bit more of a "Larry Bowa" type. A gamer who would get in your face no matter what the situation. I'm not sure he'd fit in too well with the rest of the guys who are running the front office. I can just see him slamming the locker room door in KW's face, and screaming at him to stay out unless he's invited.

To be honest I think he'd be perfect to shake this team out of its doldrums - therefor he'll probably never get the job.

WhiteSoxWinner
07-14-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
It's always a popular idea to go with well known locals (Fisk, Grace, ect.), but in reality it doesn't really make those guys better suited for the job.

I realize it is early in his managerial career, but I am sure the whole "former player to new manager" thing with Allan Trammel is starting to wear thin in Detroit ...

kevingrt
07-14-2003, 05:41 PM
I'm sorry but I would never be able to stand a former Scrub as our manager whether he likes the Cubs or not. Stick with Ozzie Guillen as our next manager