PDA

View Full Version : Parking Full for All-Star game...

Procol Harum
07-14-2003, 09:00 AM
I ain't going--heck, I don't even think I'll watch the stinkin' game--but I thought some of you who are might like to know that the Sox have announced that all the parking lots for the game are filled up already. FYI. :cool:

hose
07-14-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
I ain't going--heck, I don't even think I'll watch the stinkin' game--but I thought some of you who are might like to know that the Sox have announced that all the parking lots for the game are filled up already. FYI. :cool:

That was a given.

If you didn't get a parking pass with your All-Star ticket package then the Sox suggested public transportation or parking at McCormick Place and taking a shuttle to the game.

MLB, ESPN, Fox will all be taking up space in the parking lots.

SouthSideHitman
07-14-2003, 09:48 AM
Who cares? I've only used Sox parking when I went with my dad who couldn't walk for very long after heart surgery. I've always parked across the Ryan on the streets at IIT which is both free and never crowded even during the Sox/cubs games and playoffs. Also it is a decent neighborhood and I've never had any trouble with crime. I don't know why people pay to use those cramped Sox lots.

mandmandm
07-14-2003, 09:55 AM
What time do the lots open tomorrow?

cheeses_h_rice
07-14-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
Who cares? I've only used Sox parking when I went with my dad who couldn't walk for very long after heart surgery. I've always parked across the Ryan on the streets at IIT which is both free and never crowded even during the Sox/cubs games and playoffs. Also it is a decent neighborhood and I've never had any trouble with crime. I don't know why people pay to use those cramped Sox lots.

SSH, I'm going to the game with my aging mother tomorrow night, so do you know of any particular areas to recommend? In the past, I've parked on Michigan north of 35th, but I would imagine those would be full up tomorrow. I was going to possibly park in Chinatown and take the Red Line down, but I hate packed trains and that ride back could be brutal.

voodoochile
07-14-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
SSH, I'm going to the game with my aging mother tomorrow night, so do you know of any particular areas to recommend? In the past, I've parked on Michigan north of 35th, but I would imagine those would be full up tomorrow. I was going to possibly park in Chinatown and take the Red Line down, but I hate packed trains and that ride back could be brutal.

From there you could take a cab. Shouldn't be more than $5 each way which is only $4 total more than the train would be and it would drop you off right outside the stadium.

cheeses_h_rice
07-14-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
From there you could take a cab. Shouldn't be more than $5 each way which is only $4 total more than the train would be and it would drop you off right outside the stadium.

Ah, excellent idea. We were thinking of parking a mile or two away and doing this, and I think Chinatown would be a good non-obvious place to do so, plus it would make my commute northwest home more tolerable.

maurice
07-14-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
From there you could take a cab.

The trick would be finding a cab in Chinatown. While the Red Line is right there and only one stop away from the Cell, cabs aren't exactly plentiful on the S. Side. To illustrate, step into a cab downtown, give a random S. Side address, and observe the quizzical look on the cabbies' face turn to one of terror as he figures out where you want to go. This was a huge issue in the city counsel a few years back.

cheeses_h_rice
07-14-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by maurice
The trick would be finding a cab in Chinatown. While the Red Line is right there and only one stop away from the Cell, cabs aren't exactly plentiful on the S. Side. To illustrate, step into a cab downtown, give a random S. Side address, and observe the quizzical look on the cabbies' face turn to one of terror as he figures out where you want to go. This was a huge issue in the city counsel a few years back.

I'll bring my cellphone and the # of a few cab companies, then. Thanks for the heads-up.

:gulp:

Foulke You
07-14-2003, 12:50 PM
For fellow "L" riders, I suggest avoiding the Red Line 35th st stop especially after the derby and game. The Green Line 35th st- IIT Bronzeville stop is only a couple blocks away from the park and is usually much less crowded than the Red Line. On the way back. you can then transfer to the Red Line at Roosevelt or any of the other lines at Clark/Lake. I used this method during the crosstown games and it saved me at least a 15 minute wait to get to the trains.

Blueprint1
07-14-2003, 10:56 PM
The Cab headquater is right there on Indiana street you can park for free down the side streets right there in the south loop.

Daver
07-14-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
The Cab headquater is right there on Indiana street you can park for free down the side streets right there in the south loop.

You need a resident parking permit to park in most of the spaces in the south loop.

There is some non resident on street parking available on State street,as well as a few of the cross streets,but make sure you check the signs.

FoulkeFan
07-15-2003, 09:25 AM
FYI - even if you have a parking pass you might not get in. Last night one of our group arrived at 6:30 with the parking pass and was told the lots were full. Had to pay $20 to park behind a building on Pershing. When he went to Sox Guest Relations to complain, they told him that the lots weren't full so they weren't going to refund his money. I normally hate to add fuel to the fire by slamming the White Sox organization, but they have screwed so many people I know so many times that I'm just plain fed up.

voodoochile
07-15-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by FoulkeFan
FYI - even if you have a parking pass you might not get in. Last night one of our group arrived at 6:30 with the parking pass and was told the lots were full. Had to pay $20 to park behind a building on Pershing. When he went to Sox Guest Relations to complain, they told him that the lots weren't full so they weren't going to refund his money. I normally hate to add fuel to the fire by slamming the White Sox organization, but they have screwed so many people I know so many times that I'm just plain fed up.

Something similar happened to me at a Bears game last fall in Champaign. You just know that some lot manager has a pocket full of cash from selling spaces that are already sold.

The Sox need to make sure this doesn't happen today, or they deserve any bad press that comes there way on the matter.

39thandWallace
07-15-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum

Well you missed a hell of a game. Parking was a snap I parked in the northern section of Canaryville, no problem. O'Malleys was charging $30 yesterday and God knows how much today.