PDA

View Full Version : Manuel rumor

Kid Kip
07-14-2003, 09:53 AM
I don't post here much, but I am a lurker so you all can take this for what it's worth.
There is strong speculation from a pretty reliable source that a press conference will be held Wednesday to annouce the firing of Manuel.

Jim Fregosi will then be annouced as the replacement.

Fisk72
07-14-2003, 09:55 AM
I take any rumor with a grain of salt, but didn't we have enough of Fregosi back in the mid 80's?

Kid Kip
07-14-2003, 09:59 AM
Was he Kenny Williams' manager when Kenny was on the team?
The name surprised me, especially cause I'd like to see Wally get a shot, but who knows.

Hangar18
07-14-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Kid Kip
I don't post here much, but I am a lurker so you all can take this for what it's worth.
There is strong speculation from a pretty reliable source that a press conference will be held Wednesday to annouce the firing of Manuel.

I dont know how much I believe that. The SOX have proven themselves to be slow in decision making, and a Tiger cant
change his Stripes....

hose
07-14-2003, 10:02 AM

You are not a lurker since you are registered.

I would love to see Manuel get bounced, but this guy wont go away for some reason. He must have some photos of KW or info on Reinsdorf's crooked books.

Irishsox1
07-14-2003, 10:05 AM
Since this team is built to win for this year, Jim might not be that bad. However, I don't think he would be that good for next year once a lot of older guys are gone and the Sox goe young.

ChiSoxBobette
07-14-2003, 10:06 AM

Well that would just suck. My opinion if this Manuel firing is going to happen, promote Backman let him use the rest of this season to reevaluate this team and then lets go from next year if we can't catch fire this year and take this division. It wouls be stupid to brick back Fregosi, is the guy even in baseball. Bring in someone who will bring a different type of mangerial attitude , Fregosi would just be happy to be managing again. It would be typical Sox baseball to bring in a relic instead of someone new.

mandmandm
07-14-2003, 10:13 AM
If Fisk is concerned about the time commitment the next three months would be a good trial run.

gosox41
07-14-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Fisk72
I take any rumor with a grain of salt, but didn't we have enough of Fregosi back in the mid 80's?

I didn't think Fregosi was that bad of a manager in the '80's with the Sox. Remeber, Hawk was GM at the time so the team was going downhill fast.

I do like Fregosi. I see him as a Torborg type manager, but a little louder. He would bring intensity and might be a good manager for a veteran team because he isn't going to put up with any crap.

I do like Backman and think he is a better long term solution. He may not command respect from the veterans right away but he seems to be winning in the minors with little talent on his team.

As long as JM is fired, they can bring in a laptop computer for all I care. I'm just sick of all the tinkering and lack of intensity.

Bob

xil357
07-14-2003, 11:10 AM
I'm betting on Fisk. But I've also been drinking. Hey, it's 5 o'clock somewhere in the world.

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

In a sports landscape where the world's biggest ego, Jerry Jones, can swallow his pride enough to hire Bill Parcells to coach America's Team (Parcells once actually told a reporter on the record that he NEVER would coach for an owner like Jones), I have to believe that JR is at least CAPABLE of swallowing his pride to see Fisk back in the pinstripes in the 3B dugout at the Cell.

mrwag
07-14-2003, 11:28 AM
Fisk would be my ideal coach. That's a guy who KNOWS the game, and knows how to play it hard every day. He'll be in your face if you don't hustle. Forget everyone else - BRING IN FISK!

Mammoo
07-14-2003, 11:35 AM
Firing Manuel to bring in Fregosi is like giving with one hand and taking with the other!

Bobby Valentine must be too high profile for the White Sox...

pl8ump1012
07-14-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by gosox41

As long as JM is fired, they can bring in a laptop computer for all I care. I'm just sick of all the tinkering and lack of intensity.

HA!! Funniest thing I've heard all day!

LuvSox
07-14-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by xil357
I'm betting on Fisk. But I've also been drinking. Hey, it's 5 o'clock somewhere in the world.

Right on brother!!!!!

TheRockinMT
07-14-2003, 12:12 PM
Jerry Manuel won't be fired. If we ever do change managers I would hope we don't go back to retreads. I would want somebody new in there who brings a different intensity and insight to the game.

Mammoo
07-14-2003, 12:15 PM
Pardon the blasphemy, but what the **** does CF know about managing. He stands around with his thumb in his ass during the Futures game and all of a sudden he's ready to manage our during during the second half. Get real!

Furthermore, what makes anyone thin he wants to manage a team owned by an organization for which has no respect. Besides, his heart is in Boston so let him go there, the supercilious, ****!

A.T. Money
07-14-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
Pardon the blasphemy, but what the **** does CF know about managing. He stands around with his thumb in his ass during the Futures game and all of a sudden he's ready to manage our during during the second half. Get real!

Furthermore, what makes anyone thing he wants to manage or mange a team owned by an organization for which has no respect. Besides, his heart is in Boston so let him go there, the supercilious, ****!

Here you go:

:prozac

Mammoo
07-14-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Here you go:

:prozac

If it's all the same to you, I'd prefer:
http://www.pharmacyovernight.com/images/vicodin.jpg

schlomo
07-14-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by xil357

Is Fisk even trying to be a manager or expressed interest in managing?

JJAustin69
07-14-2003, 12:52 PM
I know there are rumblings in the national media about Jerry being in trouble again but I don't dare to hope. I will believe it when I see it.

Scotty347
07-14-2003, 12:56 PM
I feel the same way, I won't believe that Jerry will be fired unless it happens. There has been too much speculation in vain for me to get excited again this time.

Iguana775
07-14-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by mrwag
Fisk would be my ideal coach. That's a guy who KNOWS the game, and knows how to play it hard every day. He'll be in your face if you don't hustle. Forget everyone else - BRING IN FISK!

I think that would rock! Miggy would learn from him too!

:supernana:

B. Diddy
07-14-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by schlomo
Is Fisk even trying to be a manager or expressed interest in managing?

I was quite surprised to see him in the dugout (with Blackjack, of all people!) yesterday. I thought those two hated JR so much that there's no way they would've come back here.

Did I miss a big kiss-and-make-up session or something?

Iguana775
07-14-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
I was quite surprised to see him in the dugout (with Blackjack, of all people!) yesterday. I thought those two hated JR so much that there's no way they would've come back here.

And he was wearing a Sox hat to boot! :D: sign?? lol

MisterB
07-14-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy

They're there at the behest of MLB, not Reinsdorf.

Hangar18
07-14-2003, 01:09 PM
Fisk knows hes still LOVED here and I think BlackJack forgets
that we like him too, so it was good to see him get
the applause too yesterday. As for FISK being a good mgr,
hey, the Guy was widely Acknowledged to be a student of
the game, Hardnosed, and definitely could call a BallGame
(remember the job he did in 1990 with that sox staff? Amazing)
This kind of pedigree would suit him for MANAGING A TEAM sometime.....

PaleHoseGeorge
07-14-2003, 01:17 PM
Fregosi was a decent manager. He had the impossible task of working for Hawk Harrelson and dealing with the mess in his aftermath. Yes, Fregosi managed Williams when he was a (lousy) player for the Sox. Himes needed to bring in his own guy. That's how Torborg got the job.

I'm treating this like any other internet rumor, but I admit I wouldn't mind Fregosi as an interim manager. This is essentially a veteran club--at least until the end of September--and Fregosi can be counted on to manage them with action and leadership rather than Gandhi's prayerful contemplation and incessant tinkering. It would be a good move, IMO.

If the Sox don't win the division, bring in Backman or somebody else to work with the young guys for 2004. If we don't win the division, many of the veterans will be gone next fall. In the meantime Williams is trying to win the '03 division crown and we STILL have a great shot at it. No sense throwing in the towel just because Manuel hasn't a clue how to play the hand of cards he has been dealt.

As for Fisk, there is NO WAY he would ever work for the chairman. Besides that, he has NO CLUE how to manage. This is not the time for on the job training. I wouldn't mind him as a coach though.

A.T. Money
07-14-2003, 01:20 PM
Fisk will make a great manager one day, but I think George is right. He should get his feet wet coaching first.

valposoxfan
07-14-2003, 01:26 PM
I really think Fregrosi would be a good manager. He was pretty good in the 80's with the Sox but he just didn't have anything and Hawk being GM didn't help. He brought an overachieving Phillies team to the World Series remember. This would be a good choice for manager I believe. Bachman or Fregosi would both be fine with me.

Lip Man 1
07-14-2003, 02:19 PM
Read Phil Rogers column in the Tribune today. It's all about the Sox managerial situation.

Lip

my5thbench
07-14-2003, 02:20 PM
Julie Sweika on the score Sunday hosted a baseball writer
who stated that he was certain that JM would be fired
during the break & that he thought Fregosi was the most
likely replacement...Kenny had his best year in the bigs
in '87 under Fregosi & he likes him....I don't recall this
writer's name...sorry

Terry Boers is whistling the same tune on the score today

I'd love to have a fiesty Fregosi back a the helm

DonkeyKongerko
07-14-2003, 02:21 PM
Agreed. Fisk hasn't even talked to JR for like 10 years.

And for the record, he was wearing a White Sox hat with Red Sox pants at the Futures Game.

Foulke You
07-14-2003, 02:22 PM
Fregosi would be great. Heck I'm about ready to accept anyone who is not named Jerry Manuel or Terry Bevington as manager. :D:

SoxxoS
07-14-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Fregosi would be great. Heck I'm about ready to accept anyone who is not named Jerry Manuel or Terry Bevington as manager. :D:

Please add Kimm, Bruce to that list.

:smile:

ssang
07-14-2003, 02:52 PM
I hope Fregosi takes over after the break. And I would expect him to guide the Sox into taking 5/6 against Detroit and Cleveland at home to start the 2nd half. If that happens I say the Sox can make up the 7 games. We play KC a TON in the 2nd half. Too goddamn bad that we could be 5 back instead of 7 if it wasn't for Billy "I wish he was dead" Koch!!!! He blew the 3rd game of the season at KC and he blew the game at Comiskey against KC by giving up a mammoth Mike Sweeny HR...it was the game where the fan attacked the ump. Anyways, Fregosi and 5 of 6 and we're in business folks!

duke of dorwood
07-14-2003, 02:56 PM
Fregosi is known as being as good as anyone in handling pitchers. We would be fortunate to get him with this team as its constructed right now.

A.T. Money
07-14-2003, 02:58 PM
Who knows what's going to happen, but I'll believe the firing when it happens, obviously.

TornLabrum
07-14-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Fregosi managed Williams when he was a (lousy) player for the Sox.

Let's not get too revisionist in our history here, George. Kenny Williams had a pretty decent rookie year with the Sox. In fact, I think he finished in the top 3-5 in the ROY voting that year.

The problems came when the Sox, in the tradition of Hawk Harrelson, decided to move him from centerfield to third base. He had difficulty (to put it mildly) making the transition, his hitting suffered, and he was never the same player after that fiasco.

TornLabrum
07-14-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Who knows what's going to happen, but I'll believe the firing when it happens, obviously.

The fact that Manuel is now taking criticism on the Sox house organ (see my next column, and I hope George got it yesterday morning!) for his tinkering and inappropriate use of the lefty-righty thing, indicates to me that the Sox may actually be thinking about making a move.

RedPinStripes
07-14-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
Jerry Manuel won't be fired. If we ever do change managers I would hope we don't go back to retreads. I would want somebody new in there who brings a different intensity and insight to the game.

Why wouldnt he be on the hotseat? KW has given him more then enough to get to the post seaon especially with our division and how good the starting pitching has been. There is no reason why this team should get swept by the tigers and lose 2 of 3 to the d-rays. I would imagine KW has a lot of concern right now of why this team has no life.

mandmandm
07-14-2003, 05:15 PM
How about Tom Kelly?

A.T. Money
07-14-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The fact that Manuel is now taking criticism on the Sox house organ (see my next column, and I hope George got it yesterday morning!) for his tinkering and inappropriate use of the lefty-righty thing, indicates to me that the Sox may actually be thinking about making a move.

Trust me, I'm not disputing the fact that Manuel needs to go, but with all the heresay of Manuel going bye bye this year, I won't get my hopes up until it's official.

SoxxoS
07-14-2003, 05:18 PM
Tom Kelly actually is a REAL good idea...good call.

IF Manuel gets the ax...I can't wait for those comments from players that are indirect hits at Manuel. Matter of fact, I can see Daubach or someone saying-'It's good to know where you play/stand everygame." I will guarantee someone says something to that effect.

RedPinStripes
07-14-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
How about Tom Kelly?

He's done. Isnt he close to 70 ? I think he got out to retire.

A.T. Money
07-14-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
How about Tom Kelly?

http://www.nrk.no/img/205404.jpeg

"How about.....Noooooooo!"

jeremyb1
07-14-2003, 05:28 PM
i'd rather see backman but i don't know that much about fregosi. i figure he'd still be an upgrade. i'm thinking there's truth to these rumors. while kenny had supposedly said before manuel would have until the end of the season, his recent moves must alter that plan and bob nightengale in sports weekly reported fregosi as a top candidate were manuel to be canned over a month ago giving the rumor some validity.

Fisk72
07-14-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

I wouldn't say anyone's done at 70. Look at Jack McKeon down in Miami. Of course, Kelly could've felt that way, and McKeon's probably the exception to the rule.

voodoochile
07-14-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i'd rather see backman but i don't know that much about fregosi. i figure he'd still be an upgrade. i'm thinking there's truth to these rumors. while kenny had supposedly said before manuel would have until the end of the season, his recent moves must alter that plan and bob nightengale in sports weekly reported fregosi as a top candidate were manuel to be canned over a month ago giving the rumor some validity.

The recent noise by the Sox paid talking heads adds a whole new dimension to the situation. They have been very quiet until this last few days. That is also a JR trait. Toe the company line and get ready to toe the new one when I say so...

:reinsy
"They can't rip my guys until I tell them to rip my guys and then they had better rip my guys until I tell them not to again. It's my little way of saying, 'Son, you are about to be fired.' "

dickallen15
07-14-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

He's actually a lot younger than he looks,mid 50's tops

WhiteSoxWinner
07-14-2003, 05:37 PM
Tom Kelly was born August 15, 1950 according to Baseball Reference.com (http://www.baseballreference.com/managers/kellyto01.shtml)

Nellie_Fox
07-14-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
Tom Kelly was born August 15, 1950 according to Baseball Reference.com (http://www.baseballreference.com/managers/kellyto01.shtml) Jeez, he's just a kid.

He is not what this club needs. Did you ever watch him in the dugout? The Twins should have assigned someone to check his pulse periodically to make sure he was alive. I'm not saying I think maniac screamers are the answer, but they should show some sign of life.

valposoxfan
07-14-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Jeez, he's just a kid.

He is not what this club needs. Did you ever watch him in the dugout? The Twins should have assigned someone to check his pulse periodically to make sure he was alive. I'm not saying I think maniac screamers are the answer, but they should show some sign of life.
Yeah but he was an exceptional teacher. He led two mediocre teams to world championships in '87 and '93 and led a team that lacked much talent to a near playoff birth in 2001. He is a great manager that knows baseball and has the ability to teach the game to very young players. He has a grasp on the complete age spectrums of baseball. I don't feel he would fit with this team, but he didn't need to show life as a manger because he was a perfectionist that players loved playing for, he always made the right moves, and he did the managing after the games, when he would sit down with his players and was a mentor. He was full of life.

FarmerAndy
07-14-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
He led two mediocre teams to world championships in '87 and '93

I didn't know he had taken a year off from his job with the Twins to go manage the Blue Jays.

valposoxfan
07-14-2003, 06:28 PM
I meant '91, sorry.

FarmerAndy
07-14-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
I meant '91, sorry.

I figured you meant '91, but I just couldn't resist. :smile:

valposoxfan
07-14-2003, 06:31 PM
I woulda done the same thing... :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
07-14-2003, 06:33 PM
Interesting.

For sure I think Manuel will be canned, but I don't see Jim being named the skipper. Knowing JR like everyone should, it's gonna be a guy ZERO people have heard of.

rmusacch
07-14-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
He's actually a lot younger than he looks,mid 50's tops

Yeah you are right, Tom Kelly will be 53 next month.

RedPinStripes
07-14-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
Yeah you are right, Tom Kelly will be 53 next month.

Holy ****. I thought he was a lot older. Since he's about 20 years younger then i thought, he'll be back. Doubtful with us though.

RKMeibalane
07-14-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Interesting.

For sure I think Manuel will be canned, but I don't see Jim being named the skipper. Knowing JR like everyone should, it's gonna be a guy ZERO people have heard of.

Agreed. Reinsdorf will do anything to save a buck, even if it means that his team has spend a few more years mired in mediocity.

Jerry Reinsdorf, get the HELL OUT!

Nick@Nite
07-14-2003, 10:58 PM

It's not my business to know peoples business, but I definitely got to hand it to Kid Kup.

I've been registered with WSI for just over a year, and his thread really brought out some folks I handn't seen cruising these WSI message boards, ever!

Tip of the cap, my friend. :gulp:

Btw, love to see Dick Williams Manage the Sox for the stretch run!

GO SOX!
:)

lowesox
07-15-2003, 12:23 AM
I wasn't a fan yet when Fregosi managed the Sox, but i do remember him managing the Phils in a playoff series, and his decisions were lights out. I'd be very relieved if this happened for several reasons, one of the biggest being that I think Manuel is especially bad in the playoffs.

The only thing is, if you hire Fregosi long for more than the rest of the season the sox will lose Backman to another team, and that would suck.

SluggersAway
07-15-2003, 12:24 AM
I sure hope he's outta here.

SpringfldFan
07-15-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
...The problems came when the Sox, in the tradition of Hawk Harrelson, decided to move him from centerfield to third base. He had difficulty (to put it mildly) making the transition, his hitting suffered, and he was never the same player after that fiasco....

Hmm, KW was a successful rookie center fielder...

We are still looking for a decent center fielder...

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? :D:

raul12
07-15-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Agreed. Reinsdorf will do anything to save a buck, even if it means that his team has spend a few more years mired in mediocity.

Jerry Reinsdorf, get the HELL OUT!

Wouldn't Backman fit under this category? I doubt many people have heard of him outside of our fan base, but I could be wrong. Hopefully SOMEONE GOOD will replace the Tinkerer on Wednesday...I just wish it would have occurred earlier before we were 7 games out in a woeful division.

Bucktown
07-16-2003, 01:45 AM
It was kind of sad to see JM get booed mercilessly when he was introduced at the All0Star Game. Not much of a swan song.

valposoxfan
07-16-2003, 01:46 AM
Looks like we are going to have more opportunities to boo him Bucktown. Don't worry you still have time to give him your ideal farewell... :(:

valposoxfan
07-16-2003, 01:47 AM
And by the way I sure as hell wasn't sad when he got booed during the introductions.

Hangar18
07-16-2003, 08:36 AM
I didnt boo Jerry Manuel, hes still a nice person. But I was
surprised at it though. Wasnt as Ferocious as the BOOING
Wood and The Messiah Prior got !!! THAT WAS EXCELLENT.
Who said we dont have PASSION??

SoxFan56
07-18-2003, 04:58 PM
Guess that rumor was full of crap. It's friday and Jerry's still standin in the dugout.