PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers Speculation

mandmandm
07-14-2003, 09:19 AM
On the back page of the Cubune's sports section Phil Rogers has three seperate articles on possible replacements for Manuel. One is on Fisk managing the future stars team and if he would be ready to make the time commitment to managing the team. One is on Wally Backman and all his supporters within the organization. A notes around the league article includes a blurb on Jim Fergosi and Cito Gaston. I wonder if these are Phil's hopes or if he has insider information.

Hangar18
07-14-2003, 09:29 AM
Wow. Im liking the names Im hearing already!!! I forgot
about Cito Gaston....that could be a GOOD PU. ive heard fans
say they like Jim Fregosi to come back ..... but FISK would work
on a few levels, mostly the PR level. He might be a bit laid
too laid back for the Chicago Medias liking, seeing how Camelot
is in full swing on the North Side with the Cub Media Love affair
and All-Things-Dusty .....

LuvSox
07-14-2003, 09:29 AM
As much as I would like to see Fisk back in the organization, in any capacity, I just don't think he wants to work for JR. AND, they have to fire JM first. The Sox are just being kind to JM. They'll fire him right after the ASG.

Fisk72
07-14-2003, 09:34 AM
I wouldn't really say Fisk is laid back. I mean, look at his work ethic and way he approached the game when he played. The whole Deion Sanders incident is a good example. I know if he were manager now, we wouldn't be seeing our guys slacking. Man, what I would've payed to see Fisk get all over Jimenez! I seriously doubt he would ever be manager here (my dream come true) b/c of the JR but I can always dream, right? :)

Hangar18
07-14-2003, 09:36 AM
OH, and by the way. I was at the FUtures Game, and was nice
to see the Cheers Fisk got when he was announced. But
WOW did he look good in the Dugout, and he definitely had a
PRESENCE when he came out to the mound to talk to his pitchers
during the game. When he signaled to the Bullpen he was ready for the LEFTY, brought Chills to me, thinking he could be our MGR soon..... he looked the part. But MORE IMPORTANTLY....we need to hire him BEFORE THE CAMELOT ERA ENDS up north and the cubs hire him. We all know how the cubs have no qualms/pride in digging in another teams trash and take whatevers available. The cubs love anything sox, sox related, ex-sox, former sox, almost was a sox etc etc. This would be a Huge Blow to the White SOX organization (much like the media love-fest with Harry) and the media would treat him as if he were a North Side Icon since day one. We dont need that.

xil357
07-14-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
OH, and by the way. I was at the FUtures Game, and was nice
to see the Cheers Fisk got when he was announced. But
WOW did he look good in the Dugout, and he definitely had a
PRESENCE when he came out to the mound to talk to his pitchers
during the game. When he signaled to the Bullpen he was ready for the LEFTY, brought Chills to me, thinking he could be our MGR soon..... he looked the part. But MORE IMPORTANTLY....we need to hire him BEFORE THE CAMELOT ERA ENDS up north and the cubs hire him. We all know how the cubs have no qualms/pride in digging in another teams trash and take whatevers available. The cubs love anything sox, sox related, ex-sox, former sox, almost was a sox etc etc. This would be a Huge Blow to the White SOX organization (much like the media love-fest with Harry) and the media would treat him as if he were a North Side Icon since day one. We dont need that.

You are probably right about the Cubs. If / when that happens, I will commit Hari Cari. :angry:

I agree that although he doesn't have managerial experience, Fisk would be a prize "find" for the Sox, if for no other reason than public relations.

If I were JR, this is what I would do:

First, I would pay significant dollars to Bo Jackson to serve as a special PR and fan relations "consultant," to be the "face" of the organization.

Then, with Bo Jackson, I would personally go to visit Fisk with a dozen roses -- no, 72 roses -- and ask, plead, beg him to accept the manager's job. Tell Fisk he can have anyone he wants on his staff that he wants but tell him that I will spring for an experienced manager like Gaston, to serve as bench coach. Or, if he prefers, keep "Eye in the Sky" Nossek. I would then hold a ceremony to retire #72 and then give him the option of wearing that number or another of his choice.

When he agrees, I would call a national press conference for 7 p.m. CDT Wednesday night (off day after AS game), and make the following statement:

"Thank you, ladies, gentlemen, respected media professionals and beloved fans. To get to the point: I first hereby announce my sincerest apologies for anything that I and the White Sox have done to burn bridges, or given the appearance of burning bridges with White Sox fans. Decisions I have made, including supporting the owners position in 1994 and the White Flag trade of 1997, were made in response to what I believed at the time to be in the best financial interests of the White Sox and baseball. However, I understand that both these moves cost the White Sox opportunities to reach the playoffs and angered many fans. For this I am truly sorry and I humbly ask the fans and the City of Chicago to forgive me.

To demonstrate my contrition, I am announcing the following moves: First, I have asked Bo Jackson to join our ownership team and serve as chairman of the board of directors. He has agreed. I will step into the role of CEO effective immediately and will distance myself from the public face of White Sox ownership to give Bo the opportunity to work with GM Kenny Williams to build a winning tradition. Bo is a proven winner whose two sport -- and likely NFL and MLB hall of fame -- career was curtailed only by injury.

My new role will allow me to concentrate on augmenting the financial resources of the White Sox, including efforts to win back fans and increase attendance. Chicago is the #3 market in the nation, and although I recognize that this is a Cubs town, and that we face an uphill battle against a team that is part of a corporate conglomerate that also runs the #1 newspaper and a TV and radio station in Chicago, rest assured WE WILL STOP AT NOTHING TO WIN multiple World Series and simultaneously develop and implement initiatives that WILL win the hearts and minds of the people of the City of Chicago and the State of Illinois. We will succeed and we will not be denied. Because I plan to devote myself fully to these endeavors and there is no time to waste, I will be unavailable to answer any questions at the conclusion of this announcement. My actions should speak for themselves.

Second, Bo, Kenny and I are pleased to announced that we have hired Carlton Fisk to serve as field manager for the White Sox. Unfortunately, this means that we have to sever ties with Jerry Manuel as field manager. Let me say a few words about Jerry. Never have a met a more honest, forthright and decent man as Jerry Manuel, and I regret that in his 5 and one-half seasons we could not succeed in making his field management click with our roster to produce more than the 2000 AL Central division title. His vacating of the position was a mutual decision and for this reason we will honor the remainder of his contract. If Jerry so desires, we would like to retain his services in a to-be-determined role if for no other reason than to keep his talent and decency in our organization and away from competitors.

In a moment I will ask Carlton to answer any questions you have for him, and Bo and Kenny will also be available for questions. However, since I am stepping out of the role I currently hold, I wish to make this statement as my final act as chairman. Carlton Fisk and I had an unfortunate series of incidents related to his release from the team in 1993, and I wish to publicly repeat my apology to him for the way I and/or this organization have mistreated him. Carlton Fisk embodies all the qualities of a true professional major league ballplayer and I am convinced that he will succeed as manager of the Chicago White Sox. He will be able to intimidate veterans into giving their all and has the necessary patience and teaching skills to develop our younger players. Carlton, thank you for accepting my apology and for agreeing to this offer. It is my honor to introduce #72 -- and Hall of Fame Catcher -- Carlton Fisk as manager of the Chicago White Sox."

In 96 or 97, agreeing with WSCR's Mike North, on the air I called for Fisk to replace Terry Bevington mid-season.

Fisk would be a PR coup, would fire up the fans, quell the media and would give us a better than even shot at taking the division.

The increased ticket sales alone would make up for any costs incurred through this move.

Well, back to:

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

mandmandm
07-14-2003, 11:00 AM
Na, lets just have a rat pack night to draw the masses.

Sincerely,
Rob Gallas