PDA

View Full Version : Why I like Aaron Rowand


Soxboyrob
08-23-2001, 02:19 PM
Aaron Rowand gave me further reason last night to believe he's got it in him to be a very good to excellent offensive player. He's all about the *team* and *winning*. Last night, while the Sox were trying to make their comeback, he came up with a man on first base, nobody out, and the club down by 3. He proceeded to lay down a perfect drag bunt to first base and beat it out by an eyelash. Rowand sees the importance, when down by 3, of getting on base in order to put the potentially tying run at the plate. Too many guys on this team have been going to the plate this year and just swinging from their heels and either striking out or hitting into a DP. Rowand seems to always try to work the count and is learning the strikezone before our eyes. Since he seems to be trying to play more as a contact hitter than a power hitter right now, it would be very nice to see if this guy could work out in the leadoff role. His BA and OBP are certainly lead-off material. He's also a guy who could hit in a power situation when the situation called for it, ie bases loaded. For Pete's sake, I'm willing to try anything to get Ray out of the leadoff spot. I might even learn to like Ray again if he were hitting 7th or 8th in the order. He'd give us some nice power down there in the order.

Randar68
08-23-2001, 02:22 PM
I might even learn to like Ray again if he were hitting 7th or 8th in the order. He'd give us some nice power down there in the order.

I just can't stand to watch this loser continue to try to pad his stats and care nothing about his team or learning the role in which his team needs him....selfish....

Soxboyrob
08-23-2001, 02:27 PM
I couldn't have said it better myself if I'd have tried. It's a shame to see the guy swinging for the fence every at-bat, knowing full well how much consistently getting on base would help the team.

steff
08-23-2001, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Randar68


I just can't stand to watch this loser continue to try to pad his stats and care nothing about his team or learning the role in which his team needs him....selfish....


Oh no you are not talking about Ray.. Selfish? Padding his stats? Paaalleasse.. This ENTIRE team for the past 4 months has been smelling worse than the Cal Sag on a 100 degree day. Single Ray out because he's been "really $hitty" the past 3 weeks.. nice.
And Rob I should knock you upside the head for agreeing. Shame on you.

Randar68
08-23-2001, 02:40 PM
"really $hitty" the past 3 weeks.. nice.

1) Ray is the veteran leader, if he does it, people follow suit
2) Ray has been doing this now for 3 years
3) While Ray has made an improvement in his ability to go to his right this year, he still makes plenty of mental mistakes in the field
4) His role on the team is as a leadoff hitter. He's the most capable, but every time he opens his mouth, he yaps about how he should be a #3 hitter.
5) Refusing to grow into the role in which your team needs you is a sure sign of immaturity and selfishness
6) People like Maggs, Lee, and Konerko are HR hitters, not high OBP guys, they aren't asked to be .400 OBP players, but hitting .300-30-100 in the middle of the lineup is what they are asked to do, and they seem to be doing relatively well at it....

Soxboyrob
08-23-2001, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by steff3603

Single Ray out because he's been "really $hitty" the past 3 weeks.. nice.
And Rob I should knock you upside the head for agreeing. Shame on you.

I'm sorry. I'm on a roll and can't stop myself. hehehe

Soxboyrob
08-23-2001, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
1) Ray is the veteran leader, if he does it, people follow suit
2) Ray has been doing this now for 3 years
3) While Ray has made an improvement in his ability to go to his right this year, he still makes plenty of mental mistakes in the field
4) His role on the team is as a leadoff hitter. He's the most capable, but every time he opens his mouth, he yaps about how he should be a #3 hitter.
5) Refusing to grow into the role in which your team needs you is a sure sign of immaturity and selfishness
6) People like Maggs, Lee, and Konerko are HR hitters, not high OBP guys, they aren't asked to be .400 OBP players, but hitting .300-30-100 in the middle of the lineup is what they are asked to do, and they seem to be doing relatively well at it....

Well said...additional comments.
1. As Ray goes, the team goes.
3. Improvement to his right? I haven't noticed it. I've seen a couple of balls "find" their way into his glove but have also noticed Ray missing several balls while going to his left(normally his strong suit).
4. He's about as suited to hit third as you or I are. .250 hitters don't ordinarily hit 3rd. Especially .250 hitters w/ their heads up their butts.

Soxboyrob
08-23-2001, 02:47 PM
Hey Steff, I'm still hoping to hear if you've heard anything about Ray's take on the season he's having and criticisms that have been leveled against him by fans and media this year. I've never really heard any members of the media get the guts to ask him about this sort of thing and it's the kind of stuff I'd really like to know.

steff
08-23-2001, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Hey Steff, I'm still hoping to hear if you've heard anything about Ray's take on the season he's having and criticisms that have been leveled against him by fans and media this year. I've never really heard any members of the media get the guts to ask him about this sort of thing and it's the kind of stuff I'd really like to know.


I get to go feed the dog since she took the kids back "home". He's never there when I go.. but I'll leave a note next time.. OK? :-)

Soxboyrob
08-23-2001, 02:55 PM
Oh no no no no. I don't think that's gonna cut it. That won't get the job done at all. He'll just ignore the note.