PDA

View Full Version : Bobby V.?


FJA
07-13-2003, 07:44 PM
I know the "Bobby Valentine replaces Jerry Manuel" issue has been beaten to death, and I want to say up front that I don't think Bobby V. is the answer to this team's problems.

BUT, I've noticed some very interesting things over the last day or so ... first of all, on BBTN, Bobby talked about how badly the Sox need to blend in the personalities of Everett and Alomar. He talked about how he was able to fit Everett into the clubhouse environment in NY, even though he had trouble doing so with Alomar. (Experience?)

Also, guess who's scheduled for the last autograph session of FanFest. Bobby Valentine. (Introduced as the new manager of your Chicago White Sox?)

Probably a coincidence, but an interesting one at that, given all the "Fire Jerry Manuel" talk that's gone on everywhere over the last week.

Or do you think the Sox are aware of the tease?

RKMeibalane
07-13-2003, 08:03 PM
This could prove interesting. I'm going to keep an eye on it. The Sox definitely need someone around who will motivate the players, because that hasn't happened with Manuel.

gosox41
07-14-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by FJA
I know the "Bobby Valentine replaces Jerry Manuel" issue has been beaten to death, and I want to say up front that I don't think Bobby V. is the answer to this team's problems.

BUT, I've noticed some very interesting things over the last day or so ... first of all, on BBTN, Bobby talked about how badly the Sox need to blend in the personalities of Everett and Alomar. He talked about how he was able to fit Everett into the clubhouse environment in NY, even though he had trouble doing so with Alomar. (Experience?)

Also, guess who's scheduled for the last autograph session of FanFest. Bobby Valentine. (Introduced as the new manager of your Chicago White Sox?)

Probably a coincidence, but an interesting one at that, given all the "Fire Jerry Manuel" talk that's gone on everywhere over the last week.

Or do you think the Sox are aware of the tease?

Can someone cofirm that there was a story on one of the radio stations that JM was going to be fired after the All Star Game. Some of the names mentioned to replace JM were Buddy Bell and Jim Fregosi.

It's probably too good to be true. A friend left me a voice mail message about this. I don't know which station, all I know is it was onSunday early evening.

It's probably nothing, but I'm getting desperate here.

Bob

npdempse
07-14-2003, 02:37 AM
Wills and Rooney were talking this up--far from confirmed--on Talking Baseball at about 10:30 this morning.

Francona--A's bench coach--was the only name I recall being mentioned.

B. Diddy
07-14-2003, 08:16 AM
I don't know if Bobby V. is the answer either, but I'd take him over Manuel in a second.

DC Sox Fan
07-14-2003, 09:44 AM
SportsCenter did a review of the first 1/2 of the season last night, and talked about managers on the hotseat- JM was the first name mentioned...

Hangar18
07-14-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by DC Sox Fan
SportsCenter did a review of the first 1/2 of the season last night, and talked about managers on the hotseat- JM was the first name mentioned...

Yup, I was startled a bit at How FAST this baseball "expert", when posed the question "Is there a Manager on the hotseat right now?" JERRY MANUEL like a split second later was the
answer, and they went on and on on how they ROYALS were let back in this race now, and the guy felt there is no way the SOX should be trailing them at the AS Break, especially with the Amount of TALENT on this team. FIRE HIM NOW BEFORE WE HAND THE DIVISION OVER TO THE ROYALS

gosox41
07-14-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Yup, I was startled a bit at How FAST this baseball "expert", when posed the question "Is there a Manager on the hotseat right now?" JERRY MANUEL like a split second later was the
answer, and they went on and on on how they ROYALS were let back in this race now, and the guy felt there is no way the SOX should be trailing them at the AS Break, especially with the Amount of TALENT on this team. FIRE HIM NOW BEFORE WE HAND THE DIVISION OVER TO THE ROYALS


It may be already to late for that. JR and KW waited to long for putting up with this. So much for JR's infamous boot camp speech and not putting up with any lack of intensity. So much for all those rumors last year of JM being on a short leash.

Looks to me that JR was too concerned with the image of the team at the All Star game then with actually winning.

Well here's a novel concept for JR to consider. If the team were winning, there would be no stigma attached to firing the manager. That means the team would be selling more tix. and JR would be making more money and have a greater chance to get to the World Series.

How can he be so shortsighted in this? JR allegedly wants to win and missed out on a chance to make some more money. What a subborn fool he is, not wanting to fire a guy because the All Star game was in his town.

Bob