PDA

View Full Version : Wright is Wrong

Soxboyrob
08-23-2001, 02:11 PM
What is the deal w/ Wright? I was in the car listening to the game for the majority of Wright's horrible first inning. I know that some better defense might have made the inning a lot shorter, but I'm wondering what anyone noticed about his stuff that made him so hittable. I've heard that maybe he was throwing a little too much along the lines of breaking stuff and change ups. Is that the case, or was his fastball up in the hit-zone? Any info would be appreciated.

I'd also like to hear more about the ball that Rowand misplayed. It sounded from Farmer and Rooney like he made a rookie mistake and misjudged the speed of the ball off the ground. I am hoping that they'll continue to use Rowand in CF for the time being to see if he can develop out there. I think he's a fairly talented and smart player and feel that he's the kind of guy that might actually learn from mistakes made and adjust his game accordingly in the future....unlike a certain other 2nd baseman on the team.

Randar68
08-23-2001, 02:15 PM
From what I understand, he has been working on making his delivery a little more deceptive. I heard them saying after the game that they didn't think he was able to throw strikes with his fastball or curve, so he just was left with a mid 80's changeup....If that's your only pitch, you're going to get rocked, it's not much of a change-up if it's not a change from anything...LOL!!!!

The Rowand thing sounded bad, but I didn't get a chance to see it, so I can't comment....

Soxboyrob
08-23-2001, 02:22 PM
Based on the opposing teams' inability to hit off the guy for his first 3 or 4 appearances, I'd say his delivery was fairly deceptive already. Why fix it if it ain't broke? How does 96-98 mph sound for a deceptive delivery to you? Sounds fairly deceptive to me.

Randar68
08-23-2001, 02:25 PM
Based on the opposing teams' inability to hit off the guy for his first 3 or 4 appearances, I'd say his delivery was fairly deceptive already. Why fix it if it ain't broke? How does 96-98 mph sound for a deceptive delivery to you? Sounds fairly deceptive to me.

Well, supposedly, a slight change in Garland's delivery is what's meant the turnaround in his performance. For Wright, 2 of those outings were simply effective wildness. I think his fastball, which is generally 95 mph range (gun in Seattle is juiced, it had Garland at 94 also, which ain't right) is fine. It wasn't a change in his mechanics as much as hiding the ball better and not changing his arm angle on his pitches. That really can tip off a hitter, but it takes some real getting used to. Generally not something you try to change in between starts, but something that should be worked on in the pbullpen and slowly worked into your game-time plan....

Soxboyrob
08-23-2001, 02:31 PM
Exactly. Why not try to work it in on a pitch or two here and there? Why come out there and decide "I'm gonna do it all differently today" after the old way has been working for you? I'm not overly concerned about what Wright can provide for us in the long run, but your comments last week have me a little worried about the role his psyche might play in his overall development.

steff
08-23-2001, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
What is the deal w/ Wright? I was in the car listening to the game for the majority of Wright's horrible first inning.

In the car Rob.. on your way for some Power Ball tickets.. ?? :-)

Randar68
08-23-2001, 02:35 PM
Don't get me wrong, Soxboy, he's a very confident/cocky kid, and he knows he has intimidating size, but he was never really coached on how to handle his stuff and how to be a pitcher not a thrower. He will benefit from his experience in the rotation this year. I'm not sure if it's better to work out these things now, if we're out of it, or try to work with an instructor in the offseason to correct these defficiencies.

Soxboyrob
08-23-2001, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by steff3603

In the car Rob.. on your way for some Power Ball tickets.. ?? :-)

Now that I don't live 4 blocks from the Indiana border, I cannot get Powerball tix anymore. Too bad, too. I'd like to win the whole $200 mill and redo the upper deck at Comiskey to my liking and call it the Soxboyrob Upper Deck at Comiskey Park.

steff
08-23-2001, 02:54 PM

Now that I don't live 4 blocks from the Indiana border, I cannot get Powerball tix anymore. Too bad, too. I'd like to win the whole $200 mill and redo the upper deck at Comiskey to my liking and call it the Soxboyrob Upper Deck at Comiskey Park.

Drove out there last night.. going again Saturday. Would $300 million be enough to buy the Sox?

doublem23
08-23-2001, 02:56 PM
Drove out there last night.. going again Saturday. Would $300 million be enough to buy the Sox?

:reinsy
Not enough profit!

Soxboyrob
08-23-2001, 02:57 PM

Maybe not enough to buy them, but could possibly get you a controlling interest.

Randar68
08-23-2001, 02:59 PM
Would $300 million be enough to buy the Sox?

Well, the single payment would be like 200, and the government would take over half of that, probably....

Iwritecode
08-23-2001, 03:02 PM
I'd also like to hear more about the ball that Rowand misplayed. It sounded from Farmer and Rooney like he made a rookie mistake and misjudged the speed of the ball off the ground. I am hoping that they'll continue to use Rowand in CF for the time being to see if he can develop out there. I think he's a fairly talented and smart player and feel that he's the kind of guy that might actually learn from mistakes made and adjust his game accordingly in the future....unlike a certain other 2nd baseman on the team.

It wasn't hit real hard but was still moving pretty good. It landed about halfway between him and the infield and rolled. He should've had no problem getting to it, but instead he misjudged the speed of it and ended up diving for it. At least that's what I saw.

steff
08-23-2001, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Well, the single payment would be like 200, and the government would take over half of that, probably....

No no no.. you don't do that. Ya get a 20 year annuity and end up with damn near all of what you win before the taxes. And the gov't doesn't get half... about 37.8%. Regardless.. I'm sure I can come up with an offer Jerry won't be able to refuse.....

Randar68
08-23-2001, 03:05 PM
No no no.. you don't do that. Ya get a 20 year annuity and end up with damn near all of what you win before the taxes. And the gov't doesn't get half... about 37.8%. Regardless.. I'm sure I can come up with an offer Jerry won't be able to refuse.....

Sounds like you've already got it all planned out, good luck, you'll need it....

steff
08-23-2001, 03:06 PM

Maybe not enough to buy them, but could possibly get you a controlling interest.

Ooooo.. "controlling interest".. I like the sound of that :-)
Oh by the way Rob, Jim and I are going to Cleveland the 8th!! Seats right behind the on deck circle (row 2). Watch for us!!

Paulwny
08-23-2001, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by steff3603

No no no.. you don't do that. Ya get a 20 year annuity and end up with damn near all of what you win before the taxes. And the gov't doesn't get half... about 37.8%. Regardless.. I'm sure I can come up with an offer Jerry won't be able to refuse..... [/QUOTE

Depends on your age and health. If you take an annuity and die say after 5 yrs, your inheritors have to pay tax on the total value of the annuity. Many people don't have the payment and the yearly amount from the annuity isn't enough to cover the taxes. There actually is a companywhich buys these type of lotto annuities. They give you 25% to 30% of the total value.

This is the reason many large farms have to be sold, the children who inherit cannot come up with the tax money to retain ownership.

A great deal of concern here in Buffalo, Ralph Wilson is in his 80s the Bills are valued at valued at ~ $600 mil. When he dies his daughters will inherit. They will have to come up with ~$300 mil for taxes. They won't have the money and the team will probably be sold.

Paulwny
08-23-2001, 05:51 PM
Sorry, correction the company buying the annuity pays <10% of total value.

voodoochile
08-23-2001, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Sorry, correction the company buying the annuity pays <10% of total value.

Can't you just take the lump sum like you can in Big game? That comes out to about 40% (120 million) so even if the government takes 40 % you are left with $70+ million in one lump sum... Like the song says... Go on take the money and run...

I think You can live on a lump sum $70 million payment, at least I know I would like to try...