PDA

View Full Version : Daily dose of pessimism

OKCSoxFan
07-13-2003, 03:06 PM
Well, I hate to throw in the towel by the Break, but this recent losing trend threw a wrinkle -- no, a freaking tear -- in the Sox post-season plans.

This may have been discussed over the past week, but I haven't been online -- been in Chicago, actually. So here's soem numbers for ya...

It'll take at least 90 wins to be in contention for anything, most likely 95 to lock up a spot. Luckily in our division, 90 wins may be enough, but let's just work with 95.

Before the recent 2-7 skid, everyone knows we were 42-42. That leaves a remaining record of 53-25 in order to reach 95 wins -- .680 baseball. Would've been tough, but you never know.

Now, we're 44-49 (and tied in today's game), leaving a 51-18 record to get to the 95th win. That's a .739 winning percentage. Sorry, fellas, I just don't see it. Do I THINK this team has the ability to win? Hell, yeah. They just need to put everything together and get some sound leadership from the Tinkerer. I just don't see them putting everything together with sound leadership.

Pessismistic, I know. Sorry for that. White Sox Baseball has done this to me. SO now, I'm left with hoping 90 wins will be enough, and pulling for a 46-23 record or better the rest of the way. Good news is that's taking 2 out of every 3, which can definitely be done. If it's against the right teams, 90 wins may be enough. If not, well, I don't think we can blame this one on Kenny.

Fridaythe13thJason
07-13-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by OKCSoxFan
Well, I hate to throw in the towel by the Break, but this recent losing trend threw a wrinkle -- no, a freaking tear -- in the Sox post-season plans.

This may have been discussed over the past week, but I haven't been online -- been in Chicago, actually. So here's soem numbers for ya...

It'll take at least 90 wins to be in contention for anything, most likely 95 to lock up a spot. Luckily in our division, 90 wins may be enough, but let's just work with 95.

Before the recent 2-7 skid, everyone knows we were 42-42. That leaves a remaining record of 53-25 in order to reach 95 wins -- .680 baseball. Would've been tough, but you never know.

Now, we're 44-49 (and tied in today's game), leaving a 51-18 record to get to the 95th win. That's a .739 winning percentage. Sorry, fellas, I just don't see it. Do I THINK this team has the ability to win? Hell, yeah. They just need to put everything together and get some sound leadership from the Tinkerer. I just don't see them putting everything together with sound leadership.

Pessismistic, I know. Sorry for that. White Sox Baseball has done this to me. SO now, I'm left with hoping 90 wins will be enough, and pulling for a 46-23 record or better the rest of the way. Good news is that's taking 2 out of every 3, which can definitely be done. If it's against the right teams, 90 wins may be enough. If not, well, I don't think we can blame this one on Kenny.

Please feel free to record your vote in the OFF the bandwagon section of that thread. It'll make it more fun when you get all excited about the playoffs to call you names.

Also, who are you kidding with 95 wins? There are times I think 84 wins will win this division. It's just that bad.

How can you blame anything on Kenny? He did everything he could to improve this team, and I really doubt he has the authority to fire the Manager without JR's permission.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-13-2003, 03:28 PM
You have to remember that we are playiing an unbalanced schedule. That means we play a disporportionately large number of games against our own division. By definition SOMEBODY inside the A.L. Central has to win these games.

Thus it may still take 90-95 games to win the division. However 82-85 wins wouldn't have been the least bit surprising if the A.L. Central teams were playing more games against the East and West.

This division just plain sucks. When the season ends I wouldn't be surprised if less than 10 games separates #1 from #4. Not even an unbalanced schedule can hide how crappy that truly is.

Fridaythe13thJason
07-13-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
You have to remember that we are playiing an unbalanced schedule. That means we play a disporportionately large number of games against our own division. By definition SOMEBODY inside the A.L. Central has to win these games.

Thus it may still take 90-95 games to win the division. However 82-85 wins wouldn't have been the least bit surprising if the A.L. Central teams were playing more games against the East and West.

This division just plain sucks. When the season ends I wouldn't be surprised if less than 10 games separates #1 from #4. Not even an unbalanced schedule can hide how crappy that truly is.

I love, though, how both Central divisions are awful, but to the National Media, the NL Central is tough and gritty, and the AL Central is just bad. Sorry, but the Pirates are like 6 out...that's not a good division. Those are all bad teams.

gosox41
07-13-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by OKCSoxFan

Maybe not blame it all on KW, but I'll find a way to blame him a lot. :D:

Bob