PDA

View Full Version : KW reportedly offered Koch to Yanks.


WinningUgly!
07-13-2003, 12:28 PM
From NY Post...

Cashman said there was no match with the Rangers for Ugueth Urbina. He has talked to the Giants about Felix Rodriguez and the White Sox have called to offer Billy Koch.

"It wouldn't hurt to get another arm down there," Torre said of his bullpen that surrendered six runs and six hits in the eighth.


Linky (http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/2119.htm)

Unload him Kenny!!!!

Steve Bartman
07-13-2003, 03:33 PM
let's hope a deal gets done. Even if it's just for minor league players. Koch shows no signs of ever having closer "stuff" again. They say that a closer should have 3 good pitches. Koch doesn't have any good pitches, but he has that closer's mentality.

gosox41
07-13-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Cubsloseagain911
let's hope a deal gets done. Even if it's just for minor league players. Koch shows no signs of ever having closer "stuff" again. They say that a closer should have 3 good pitches. Koch doesn't have any good pitches, but he has that closer's mentality.

I don't think the Yankees would be dumb enough to take Koch. They actually have intelligent basbeall people working for them.

But of course I would love to dump Koch. Right about now I'd give him away and have the Sox admit their mistake and cut their losses.

Bob

fquaye149
07-13-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I don't think the Yankees would be dumb enough to take Koch. They actually have intelligent basbeall people working for them.

But of course I would love to dump Koch. Right about now I'd give him away and have the Sox admit their mistake and cut their losses.

Bob

who are these intelligent baseball people? the same who decided to pay jeff weaver 14392084 trillion dollars a month?

and getting koch for minor leaguers isn't a horrible deal for either party.

my .02

gosox41
07-14-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by fquaye149
who are these intelligent baseball people? the same who decided to pay jeff weaver 14392084 trillion dollars a month?

and getting koch for minor leaguers isn't a horrible deal for either party.

my .02

Weaver can't handle the pressure of NY, or so it's been reported. He was pitching well when the Yanks got him and if memory serves corred, there was a lot of complaining the Sox didn't go after him.

AS for Koch, have you watched him pitch at all this year. The numbers tell the whole story, but watch him for at least 4-5 outings (that's all I could take before I turned off the TV or went for a walk every time he came in the game.) He sucks. He's way overpaid even if he did perform at least years level. The fact that he is that much worse makes it so any team taking him has to be stupid. His fast ball is off 8 mPH from last year, probably due to over use (I call it Thigpenitis.)

He's nothing. Not much demand for 93MPH fast ball pitchers who can only throw a straight fastball for a strike. I'd give him to the Yankees if possible.

Bob

Twins8791
07-14-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Cubsloseagain911
They say that a closer should have 3 good pitches.
Koch has three good pitches! But from the fourth one onward, look out!!

WhiteSox = Life
07-14-2003, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Twins8791
Koch has three good pitches! But from the fourth one onward, look out!!

Actually, it sometimes only takes one or two pitches for the game-tying or game-winning hit to be given up.

B. Diddy
07-14-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
Weaver can't handle the pressure of NY, or so it's been reported. He was pitching well when the Yanks got him and if memory serves corred, there was a lot of complaining the Sox didn't go after him.

That's right. He did start to suck right after he went to NY.

How about a Koch-for-Weaver swap? Move Garland to the #5 spot, Wright to long relief, and Gordon to the closer role? Sounds good to me...

Iguana775
07-14-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
That's right. He did start to suck right after he went to NY.

How about a Koch-for-Weaver swap? Move Garland to the #5 spot, Wright to long relief, and Gordon to the closer role? Sounds good to me...

I'd do that in a heart beat but that will never happen. They would want a more than just Koch.

ChiSoxBobette
07-14-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
From NY Post...




Linky (http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/2119.htm)

Unload him Kenny!!!!

You know whats going to happen with this bum, he'll get traded to whoever and start bringing it 99/101mph again. Same thing always happens to the Sox. But I'd have to say dump this guy. We should have went with Foulke this year , I'd have to say someone on the bench(JM) or in the front office(KW) did'nt like Keith. So we trade the guy to the A's for Koch(right there that should have set off the warning sign to KW, why would they want to dump Koch if there was'nt something wrong with this guy)and its been down hill for us while Keith Foulke is 7-1 with ,what; 24/25 saves.

Go White Sox!

gosox41
07-14-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
You know whats going to happen with this bum, he'll get traded to whoever and start bringing it 99/101mph again. Same thing always happens to the Sox. But I'd have to say dump this guy. We should have went with Foulke this year , I'd have to say someone on the bench(JM) or in the front office(KW) did'nt like Keith. So we trade the guy to the A's for Koch(right there that should have set off the warning sign to KW, why would they want to dump Koch if there was'nt something wrong with this guy)and its been down hill for us while Keith Foulke is 7-1 with ,what; 24/25 saves.

Go White Sox!

If anything, dumping Koch frees up salary for what's left of this year and next year. If this team continues to flounder around mediocrity, decisions are going to be made based on payroll. If Koch and his $6 mill. 2004 salary can't be dumped, it's likely a better player will.

That alone makes it worth while to dump Koch. Of course, if they still had Foulke this season, the Sox could have let him go as a free agent and gottren 2 draft picks for him. Now they're just looking to cut their losses from another awful KW trade.

Bob

WillieHarris12
07-14-2003, 12:32 PM
Do Koch for Claussen heh heh heh...

hose
07-14-2003, 12:38 PM
Heck I would trade Koch for Koch.

The Sox could use the old mayor of New York in some capacity

spanishwhite
07-14-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by B. Diddy
That's right. He did start to suck right after he went to NY.

How about a Koch-for-Weaver swap? Move Garland to the #5 spot, Wright to long relief, and Gordon to the closer role? Sounds good to me...


Good idea, but its the Yanks so...

Koch and prospect for Weaver

they are both making about the same so we pick up the rest of Koch salary and they do the same for Weaver.

Garland keeps his number 4 and make Weaver number 5.

Foulke You
07-14-2003, 02:02 PM
I'd do Koch for Weaver in a sec. Wright, Stewart, and Porzio aren't going to cut it as #5 starters. With Gordon pitching well and settled in as the team's closer, it is time to cut your losses and move Billy Koch.

I also agree with ChiSoxBob. Koch would probably pull a David Wells on us and start throwing 100 mph bullets again in Yankee pinstripes. Things like that always happen to the White Sox but right now, if you can move him based on his name and reputation then do it.

LASOXFAN
07-14-2003, 08:06 PM
There's a reason ChiSoxBob is right about a Koch turnaround in another uniform: coaching. Does anyone remember what happened to Howry when he went to the Red Sox last year? He started pegging in the mid to upper 90's again. Remember how JM could never figure out what happened to Bobby's velocity? I read an interview with Howry in the Boston Globe near the end of last season and he credited his new pitching coach with changing his stance to a more upright position and giving him a better kick (Thanks Nardi, you bastardi).

Don't think that Stottlemire won't turn Koch around, because he will and the Yanks will be much improved.

voodoochile
07-14-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
There's a reason ChiSoxBob is right about a Koch turnaround in another uniform: coaching. Does anyone remember what happened to Howry when he went to the Red Sox last year? He started pegging in the mid to upper 90's again. Remember how JM could never figure out what happened to Bobby's velocity? I read an interview with Howry in the Boston Globe near the end of last season and he credited his new pitching coach with changing his stance to a more upright position and giving him a better kick (Thanks Nardi, you bastardi).

Don't think that Stottlemire won't turn Koch around, because he will and the Yanks will be much improved.

Isn't Howry out of baseball? Didn't the Red Sox designate him for assignment? Am I missing something here?

Howry was injured and he never recovered. Any velocity increase he recouped was lost by the time he was cut.

Nardi is a slug, but I don't know if the Sox are the problem with Koch. I think he just has lost it, or Daver is right and his delivery has been changed for health reason and it cost him all of his velocity. If anyone can get something out of Koch, more power to them. Maybe they wil trade us Osuna straight up and then we can let Gordon close...

WinningUgly!
07-14-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
There's a reason ChiSoxBob is right about a Koch turnaround in another uniform: coaching. Does anyone remember what happened to Howry when he went to the Red Sox last year? He started pegging in the mid to upper 90's again. Remember how JM could never figure out what happened to Bobby's velocity? I read an interview with Howry in the Boston Globe near the end of last season and he credited his new pitching coach with changing his stance to a more upright position and giving him a better kick (Thanks Nardi, you bastardi).

Don't think that Stottlemire won't turn Koch around, because he will and the Yanks will be much improved.

Bobby Howry didn't magically get better last year after joining the Red Sox. I'm not sure...maybe he did get his velocity back, but it apparently wasn't enough to make him any better.

2002 w/CHI (51 innings) 3.91 era
2002 w/BOS (18 innings) 5.00 era
2003 w/BOS (4.1 innings) 12.46 era

Did he give up the sport yet?

OEO Magglio
07-14-2003, 09:41 PM
Yeah, Boston sent him down to the minors, last time I checked he had an era in the 1's or 2's in aaa, but Boston did send him down.

Paulwny
07-16-2003, 08:21 AM
It appears that the possible trade of Koch to the yankees may be dead.

From News Day:
Chicago - The Yankees and Mets last night were on the verge of a deal that would send embattled reliever Armando Benitez from Queens to the Bronx for three prospects. One source said the clubs were still haggling over a couple of final details but that none of them was considered a major impediment and a deal could be announced as early as today.

While the Mets and Yankees were said to be discussing a third prospect to go to the Mets as well as the financial arrangement, one National League executive said the Braves inquired about Benitez and were told he had already been traded, implying the Yankees deal was already done.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-sbbenitez163373565jul16,0,6531849.story?coll=ny-baseball-headlines

gosox41
07-16-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
It appears that the possible trade of Koch to the yankees may be dead.

From News Day:
Chicago - The Yankees and Mets last night were on the verge of a deal that would send embattled reliever Armando Benitez from Queens to the Bronx for three prospects. One source said the clubs were still haggling over a couple of final details but that none of them was considered a major impediment and a deal could be announced as early as today.

While the Mets and Yankees were said to be discussing a third prospect to go to the Mets as well as the financial arrangement, one National League executive said the Braves inquired about Benitez and were told he had already been traded, implying the Yankees deal was already done.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-sbbenitez163373565jul16,0,6531849.story?coll=ny-baseball-headlines

I didn't think the Yankees would want Koch. Considering the fact that the Sox would give him away if they can says a lot about how far Koch has fallen in value.

Bob