PDA

View Full Version : Trade Carlos Lee?

Viva Magglio
07-14-2003, 02:22 PM
Yea. For every good thing he does for us, he does at least 1˝ things against us.

WhiteSoxWinner
07-14-2003, 02:25 PM
I have no problem with this if Carl Everett starts hitting. We are not going to trade any of our current starting pitching, and we should not trade Maggs, so the only viable chip on the table is Carlos. If we start winning, trade him for a closer/BP help.

Juan Pizarro
07-14-2003, 02:28 PM
I would not trade C Lee. He's one of the few guys who has played HARD all year, and, unnoticed by many who don't watch the club play, has actually matured into a plus defender, as least by White Sox standards.

Meixner007
07-14-2003, 02:35 PM
I'm sick and tired of people saying that he's "above average by sox standards." When are we going to get people "above average by mlb standards." That should not be an excuse to keep someone around...unless you're happy with mediocre players.

Randar68
07-14-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Meixner007
I'm sick and tired of people saying that he's "above average by sox standards." When are we going to get people "above average by mlb standards." That should not be an excuse to keep someone around...unless you're happy with mediocre players.

For LF, he is above average.

xil357
07-14-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Yea. For every good thing he does for us, he does at least 11/2 things against us.

Lee, Rowand and Koch to Florida for Juan Pierre. Hey, teal is one of the Marlins' colors. Lee could be the bat that the Fish need to make a run for the Wild Card and he has a history of hitting NL pitching (especially against the Cubs). Rowand fills their hole in CF and may see more success in the inferior NL as well.

Make this move for no other reason than Lee may fetch something in return, would allow Everett to move to left on a daily basis and get a legit CF who can lead off in Pierre. When Everett leaves after this season, it paves the way for Borchard or Reed to play LF, both of whom hit from the left side of the plate and bring SPEED and D. Then we're looking at a MUCH better OF situation over the long haul. This also allows Konerko to platoon with Daubach at DH so Frank can stay at 1B. It also perhaps allows the Sox to re-sign Alomar, or let Harris play 2B. With either of these scenarios I support the re-signing of Valentin.

Your 2004 White Sox sport some serious speed and defense, the hallmarks of all past Sox successes (with the exception of 2000) in spacious Comiskey / New Comiskey / The Cell:

CF Pierre
2B Alomar / Harris (lays down bunts for hits)
1B Frank
RF Maggs
DH Konerko / Daubach
SS Valentin
LF Reed / Borchard
3B Crede
C Olivo

Juan Pizarro
07-14-2003, 02:38 PM
Well, I WOULD say he's matured into a better-than-average LF now. He gets to more balls than a lot of people, he generally hits the cutoff man and he's started a bunch of relays that have nailed people.

Meixner007
07-14-2003, 02:51 PM
You're right. He does hit the cutoff man, and has thrown started many relays. But i still believe his range is below average...alowing him more opportunities to hit the cutoff man and start relays.

Randar68
07-14-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Meixner007
You're right. He does hit the cutoff man, and has thrown started many relays. But i still believe his range is below average...alowing him more opportunities to hit the cutoff man and start relays.

Carlos is never going to be confused for a CF'er. However, compared to the league, he has average range at worst and almost always gets a better jump on balls than everyone's favorite AAAA player, Aaron Rowand.

daveb816
07-14-2003, 04:24 PM
I would welcome C. Lee's departure. His defense is adequate, but he's too much of a DP/K guy and his plate discipline has regressed badly since last season. And this would also free up LF for Everett this season and Reed/Borchard in the coming years.

kevingrt
07-14-2003, 05:38 PM
I could see trading Carlos for a nice 3 starter who would start 4 for us. We can put Aaron in right and save the position for Reed or Borchard when they come up. I have no problem traing Carlos.

OEO Magglio
07-14-2003, 06:13 PM
I could see trading Carlos for a nice 3 starter who would start 4 for us. We can put Aaron in right and save the position for Reed or Borchard when they come up. I have no problem traing Carlos.
I agree I wouldn't have any problem trading carlos either, but I'm sure if the sox traded lee, everett would be moved to left, and rowand and willie would platoon in center.

Mammoo
07-14-2003, 10:39 PM
No knock on Lee, but he sucks in left, so you might as well put Everett there (equal suckage defensively) but a better hitter. This opens up center field for Rowand.

It seems to me Williams would get some value out of trading Lee.

Daver
07-14-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Mammoo
No knock on Lee, but he sucks in left, so you might as well put Everett there (equal suckage defensively) but a better hitter. This opens up center field for Rowand.

It seems to me Williams would get some value out of trading Lee.

Why would you want to open up a position for Rowand?

For that matter why would you want a corner outfielder playing center?

RedPinStripes
07-14-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by daver

For that matter why would you want a corner outfielder playing center? No matter what you put out there on this team it's corner playing cf. Everet is a BAD cf. I'd like to see him in LF where he belongs.

SluggersAway
07-14-2003, 11:22 PM
I don't think we could get anything substantial for Lee. What are we talking about here?

SoxxoS
12-14-2004, 12:24 PM
Good stuff in this thread from a while back. Type in Trade + Lee in the advanced search box...funny times.

southsider17
12-14-2004, 12:29 PM

For that matter why would you want a corner outfielder playing center?:redface:

This one is my favorite!