PDA

View Full Version : Danny Wright: White Sox Closer

ChiSox14305635
07-12-2003, 07:47 PM
I know he was recently optioned, but I had read about a year back that he might make a good closer. What's the general opinion of Wright being the eventual closer? Remember, it worked for Eric Gagne with the Dodgers.

lowesox
07-12-2003, 07:51 PM
Let's see, Billy Koch is our closer right now.... I like it!

ChiSox14305635
07-12-2003, 08:01 PM
Mid 90's fastball, decent breaking stuff, needs to lay off the walks, but he has all the tools. He could succeed in that role.

jabrch
07-12-2003, 08:06 PM
What's wrong with Flash until we find a real legit closer with a 98+ fastball that moves?

Can anyone imagine trying to hit Rivera...95+ and it drops 2 feet...

Tragg
07-12-2003, 09:02 PM
I wish we had just moved Wright to the pen. Garland and Wells did some pen work for a while and it did them good. Lots of starters are developed out of the pen - the sox don't do it that way, but I'd like to see that change.

gosox41
07-12-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
I wish we had just moved Wright to the pen. Garland and Wells did some pen work for a while and it did them good. Lots of starters are developed out of the pen - the sox don't do it that way, but I'd like to see that change.

The bullpen is a great way to develop young starters in a timely fashion. Let's see the Sox don't do this, and the young pitching hasn't lived up to my hopes and dreams. Note that Buehrle started off in the pen in 2000. I'm sure it helped him.

Bob

jeremyb1
07-12-2003, 09:57 PM
i've always thought that while wright has the possibility to be a decent starter, he has the potential to be an excellent reliever. if we have any doubts about him as a starter we should just make the move. we could send sanders back down he hasn't had a lot of work anyways.

fquaye149
07-13-2003, 04:00 PM
well here's the thing, ladies and gentlemen....remember danny's last however many outings? when did he get lit up? the first inning...not later when his gas was wearing out...but 1st inning.

does that bode well for a closer?

actually i don't know or not...cuz i don't know how gagne was as a starter and i don't particularly remember smoltz's inning by inning splits...so anyone want to shed some light?

rmusacch
07-13-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

Unfortunately, Wright will just be down in Charlotte for the maximum ten days. He will not miss any starts and will come back up to start the game on Monday after the All Star break. He might get a start down in Charlotte but he was just sent down to bring up Porzio.