PDA

View Full Version : Ramirez out as All-Star

siugrad25
07-12-2003, 06:42 PM
According to the Associated Press:

Ramirez won’t play in All-Star game
DETROIT (AP) — Boston Red Sox outfielder Manny Ramirez will not play in the All-Star game next week due to a sore left hamstring.
No replacement for Ramirez has been named yet.

I don't know if Frank has a chance because Manny was an OF, but there's other outfielders like Garrett Anderson, Melvin Mora, Carl Everett and Vernon Wells that can be used.

So does this pave the way for Frank or is there another stiff out there that will be chosen. Who else didn't make that online ballot so Frank can be snubbed? He better be selected....

doublem23
07-12-2003, 06:44 PM
Eric Byrnes

doublem23
07-12-2003, 06:51 PM
MAGGS!!!

MetalliSox
07-12-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
MAGGS!!!

Yup, Maggs has been named his sub. Kick arse.

Still wish Frank was there.

voodoochile
07-12-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
MAGGS!!!

Hawk just said it on TV. It is Maggs. Man, who does Frank have to **** to get a slot on the team? This is getting silly. I don't care if Ramirez is an OF and if Maggs deserves it (which he does), Frank should have gotten the nod. Not like Carl Everett can't cover the OF slot if absolutely necessary leaving Frank free to DH or play first.

This is silly...

But, Congratulations, Magglio none the less.

doublem23
07-12-2003, 06:58 PM
A part of me is happy that Maggs is there, but another part of me really wants to see him concede his spot to Frank...

Ridiculous (in a good way)

RKMeibalane
07-12-2003, 07:00 PM
At least another Sox player will be at the game. I still feel badly about Frank not being there. The 'Cell is the house that Thomas built.

RKMeibalane
07-12-2003, 07:02 PM
Now, all we need is for Jason Giambi to mysteriously hurt himself.

lowesox
07-12-2003, 07:32 PM
GREAT!!! This should do wonders for team chemistry.

Guaranteed Frank will bitch about this after the game.

jabrch
07-12-2003, 08:05 PM
I just read that Maggs is gonna be in the all-star game in place of Manny R. That is terrible...Move Everett from backup DH to OF and let Frank in at the DH. Maggs isn't hitting even close to Thomas....

Frank is getting no respect this year.

Viva Magglio
07-12-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
I just read that Maggs is gonna be in the all-star game in place of Manny R. That is terrible...Move Everett from backup DH to OF and let Frank in at the DH. Maggs isn't hitting even close to Thomas....

Frank is getting no respect this year.

You're right, Frank is getting screwed (still). However, with the position of the player injured, it made much more sense to select Mágglio.

:jerry
"You're saying Frank doens't play right field? Give me a minute, I think I can do some tinkering to change that."

jabrch
07-12-2003, 08:09 PM
I just don't get it...

The Boston fans out to be shot for voting Varitek in...

Viva Magglio
07-12-2003, 08:13 PM
Consider things like this...

:maggs
ALL-STAR

:shammy
NO ALL-STAR

gosox41
07-12-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
You're right, Frank is getting screwed (still). However, with the position of the player injured, it made much more sense to select Mágglio.

:jerry
"You're saying Frank doens't play right field? Give me a minute, I think I can do some tinkering to change that."

LMAO

sox_fan_forever
07-12-2003, 10:19 PM
I have been away from the computer all day, and I didn't get to see much of the game so this is the first I have heard of Maggs making the team. I am glad that he is going to be there (especially now that I'm going...just found out tonight!), but I'm still mad about Frank getting screwed.

oheeoh...magglio
07-12-2003, 10:23 PM
As bad as frank is getting screwed this year, mags got screwed worse last year. He had some of the best numbers in baseball, far better number last year at this point than this year actually. I wish i had his numbers through the all star game last year in front of me, but I know he got screwed over last year because "every team has to have a player" and not to mention, he should have been starting in the first place at last year's all star game. While I agree frank is getting the shaft, Mags deserves this to make up for the fact he was 100% robbed of an asg apperance last year. Make us proud mags!! :)

Fridaythe13thJason
07-12-2003, 11:31 PM
This is a pretty darn bad team to have three all-stars, and even one snubbed.

Thunderstruck30
07-13-2003, 12:15 AM
Im happy about this since Magglio is my favorite player. But I kinda wish it was Thomas instead because he deserves it more. But still its great to have another Sox player in the all star game.

Shoeless Joe
07-13-2003, 04:29 AM
Congrats to Maggs even though his numbers have been down this half. A second half explosion should give him his routine .300 30 HR and 100 RBI year however. It's too bad Frank didn't make the team since his numbers are basically identical to Everett's.

Maggs continues to be one of the most underrated players in the game so I hope he can flash some of his skills in the All-Star game for the national audience.

FoulkeFan
07-13-2003, 08:22 AM
I can't believe some of these posts. Frank deserves it more? Don't get me wrong, I was as upset as anyone when he didn't get the fan vote or Giambi's spot. But Maggs deserves it AT LEAST as much as Frank. As of today, here are the numbers:

Maggs .298 16HR 50 RBI .881 OPS
Frank .271 20HR 48 RBI .966 OPS

Frank made his own bed by hitting .230 in April. Everett got off to a blazing start and didn't cool off until later. Basically, Frank has had one good 6 week stretch over the last couple of years. I think we need to be realistic.

Where was the outrage that Maggs wasn't selected?

harwar
07-13-2003, 09:22 AM
Its absolute and total (expleetive deleeted).This was Big Franks' last shot at an all-star game and it would have been at Comiskey(yea i said Comiskey)Park.Its a damn shame because it would have done wonders for his attitude and how goes Frank,so goes the White Sox.Its going to be one heck of a mess for some manager in that clubhouse if Frank,Everett & R.Alomar all start getting on each others nerves.

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-13-2003, 09:26 AM
since manny was the vote getter, does maggs get to start, or is that the sciosia's choice?

voodoochile
07-13-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by FoulkeFan
I can't believe some of these posts. Frank deserves it more? Don't get me wrong, I was as upset as anyone when he didn't get the fan vote or Giambi's spot. But Maggs deserves it AT LEAST as much as Frank. As of today, here are the numbers:

Maggs .298 16HR 50 RBI .881 OPS
Frank .271 20HR 48 RBI .966 OPS

Frank made his own bed by hitting .230 in April. Everett got off to a blazing start and didn't cool off until later. Basically, Frank has had one good 6 week stretch over the last couple of years. I think we need to be realistic.

Where was the outrage that Maggs wasn't selected?

Maggs has raised his batting average almost 30 points these past 2 weeks. When the discussion was happening, he was coming on strong, but didn't have the numbers to justify it. Frank started coming on in May and hasn't let up.

BTW, those 85 points of OPS are a huge difference. Doesn't Frank lead Maggs in OBP, SLG, doubles and runs?