PDA

View Full Version : Does KW decide to pull the plug and when?

soxtalker
07-12-2003, 04:53 PM
As I write this -- between the games of the Cleveland doubleheader -- the Sox are at 44-48, 6 games out, 7 back in the loss column. My question doesn't directly involve the manager. (I think that KW will likely pull the plug on JM immediately after the All-Star break, but that has been discussed in several threads.) If you are in KW's position, how far out and at what date do you decide to pull the plug and dump players for prospects and/or salary? Strange. I didn't think that this was going to be an issue 10 days ago.

doublem23
07-12-2003, 04:58 PM
I would think not... We're not paying for Alomar or Everett and I still think this division is ridiculously winnable... Considering what we gave up to get Robbie and Carl, I can't imagine we'd get much for them if we were to dump them.

Overall, IMO, the possibilities of keeping the pair (the pennant race and possible play-off action plus compensation draft picks gained for their loss in free agency... Carl Everett is an All-Star, after all and Alomar is a Hall-of-Famer) far outweighs any talent we'd recieve short of getting the entire NL All-Star Team. I might need to take a long, hard look at that deal.

Keep 'em. Who knows how this season will shape out? A division championship is a very, very real possibility (seeing as we are in the midst of a 2-6 funk and still only 6 games out). We wouldn't get anything that would be better than the Sandwich Round picks we'd get anyway.

Keep 'em!

Though, I wouldn't be opposed to dumping Konerko's selfish ass.

gosox41
07-12-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
As I write this -- between the games of the Cleveland doubleheader -- the Sox are at 44-48, 6 games out, 7 back in the loss column. My question doesn't directly involve the manager. (I think that KW will likely pull the plug on JM immediately after the All-Star break, but that has been discussed in several threads.) If you are in KW's position, how far out and at what date do you decide to pull the plug and dump players for prospects and/or salary? Strange. I didn't think that this was going to be an issue 10 days ago.

Give them until the 24th, a week after the All Star break ends. If they show fire and play hard and do the little things go for it. If not then start dumping for prospects that want to win and not be selfish. This .244 team BA is beyond ridiculous considering the talent in the lockerroom. Whether it's general selfishness, lack of motviation, hated of Manuel/Williams, laziness, stupidity, lack of focus or any other lame excuse I am sick and tired of all of it.

Dump these guys. How many years of underacheiving do we as Sox fans need to put up wtih this 'core' that's been assembled> They're talented just mentally weak. Dump them all assuming the price is right. I'm too fed up to put up with this. The Sox are hitting about .244 after 92 games into the season. There is something seriously wrong here. Beyond serious. Dump anyone and everyone if the price is right.

Of course, it goes without saying that JM should be fired Wednesday the day after the All Star game. That should make things a little bit easier for these underacheiving bums.

Bob

soxtalker
07-12-2003, 10:28 PM
Well, now we're 44-49, 7 games back, 8 in the loss column. The division is rapidly slipping away...

StillMissOzzie
07-13-2003, 02:01 AM
One more week after the AS game should tell the tale. The schedule resumes with more "easy" teams, except that:

1) That's what we all said about the high expectations we had for this road trip

2) Is there anyone that this Sox team has a right to call "easy"?

:angry:
:gulp:

MarqSox
07-13-2003, 07:24 PM
Might as well wait until July 31. No need to rush the rebuilding process ... I'm not expecting a turnaround, but it's still not out of the realm of possibility either. Nothing to be gained by jumping the gun and giving up 2 weeks early.

soxtalker
07-13-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Might as well wait until July 31. No need to rush the rebuilding process ... I'm not expecting a turnaround, but it's still not out of the realm of possibility either. Nothing to be gained by jumping the gun and giving up 2 weeks early.

I'm not sure that's true. We probably can't wait until the hour before the trading deadline to make several deals.

There is some pressure to make trades before the deadline if we think that the season is likely to be lost. We only get draft picks for the free agents (Colon, R. Alomar, Everett) if we offer them arbitration. Now, that's a good bet with Colon, but I'm not sure that the Sox will be willing to take a chance on the other two. There's also the risk of injury.

lowesox
07-13-2003, 09:00 PM
From watching kenny, I get the idea that he doesn't plan to be the GM of the sox for long. He rarely does anything with the future in mind - everything is for right now. You can tell he's trying desperately to be the 'reason' the WhiteSox win a championship.
So don't count on him onloading.

If I'm the GM, I wouldn't either though because we are so close in the standings with the twins. The truth is the Royals aren't for real. Take away their hot start at their a sub-500 team. The only reason why they're in first is because the sox aren't for real either.

soxtalker
07-13-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
From watching kenny, I get the idea that he doesn't plan to be the GM of the sox for long. He rarely does anything with the future in mind - everything is for right now. You can tell he's trying desperately to be the 'reason' the WhiteSox win a championship.

If I'm the GM, I wouldn't either though because we are so close in the standings with the twins. The truth is the Royals aren't for real. Take away their hot start at their a sub-500 team. The only reason why they're in first is because the sox aren't for real either.

Well, if I were GM, I would probably unload now. Partly, I do think that the Royals will continue to do well during the regular season, though I'd expect the more experienced teams to beat them easily in the playoffs. I also don't think that the Sox would last very long in the playoffs, and that's another large part of the reason that I'd unload now. But that would be a rather unpopular move -- white flag II.

But your assessment of KW rings true. His moves remind me a lot of top management in many corporations -- do anything that will make the company look good now, as you probably won't be around to worry about the future.

I guess that there is one other variable in the equation -- JR himself. If he thinks that there is no chance of winning this year and that the minor league system has been gutted, maybe he'll exert a bit of influence on KW.

Daver
07-13-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by lowesox

You must not be paying attention to what KW is doing right now.

TheRockinMT
07-13-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by daver
You must not be paying attention to what KW is doing right now.

There is nothing wrong with Paul Konerko's hips, Jerry manul will not be fired and kenny Willaims is and will stay as the GM.

MHOUSE
07-13-2003, 11:37 PM
Give it until July 25. If we haven't shown some desire or stopped Manuel's shennanigans, then dump everyone and give up. He left Everett and Alomar out of the starting lineup the last 3 games. Why? Who the F* knows. JM is really getting on my nerves when the GM finally shows the desire to do something and win and the manager still can't field a set lineup. What a load of crap. In any other division this team would be way out of it. Even if we made the playoffs we would be swept easily; especially with Jerry pulling the strings. Minnesota's recent slide and KC's flukish first half show how easily this division could be won by a good team. We're not a good team.

mrwag
07-14-2003, 10:34 AM
After the stocking up that this team has done this year, to sell it all off and trash the season in such a wasteland of a divison would be suicide. If you can't win it this year, you might as well fold up shop as far as I'm concerned.

All this team needs is a real coach.

B. Diddy
07-14-2003, 12:02 PM
I don't see KW throwing in the towel. If he doesn't at least make it to the playoffs this year, he might be canned in the offseason. If I were him, I'd dump JM and try to kick-start this group of corpses ASAP. They have significantly more talent than KC, so they should be able to do it.

CHISOXFAN13
07-14-2003, 12:41 PM
We play KC on the road at the end of July. I'm pretty sure the organizationa nd all of us we'll know if its time to unload by July 29.