PDA

View Full Version : All-Star Fan Fest

hose
07-12-2003, 04:05 PM
I went to the Fan Fest today at McCormick Place and really had a good time. Lots of people in Sox gear were in attendance.

Plenty of stuff for the youngsters to do and the MLB exhibits are awesome.

I stopped by the ESPN 1000 booth and took a picture of Wills and Melton. Bill was nice enough to sign a baseball for me , Melty is a good guy.

All sorts of baseball memorabilia, bring plenty of money :smile:

Grandstand has a booth and I picked up a few All-Star novelties there.

My favorite purchase was a old picture frame with a Nellie Fox advertisement for Favorite chewing tobacco in it.

WillieHarris12
07-12-2003, 05:22 PM
I went yesterday. I saw Dan Patrick, Will Clark, Mac, Jurko, Harry, and Wills. It was awesome! The steal home challenge was fun, so was the video pitching (struck out Arod ;)) and the video hitting (laced Buehrle). I picked up everything that was free and won the mastercards thingy, I got a free pack of Fleer. It was a blast!

A.T. Money
07-12-2003, 05:32 PM
I was there today too (Saturday). Got to see Harold Baines up close and personal before he talked to Jay Moronotti and Silvi. Bainesy is about 6'2" (I'm 6'1") but I looked at him a couple times on his cell phone, and I said to my girlfriend, "Hey, that looks like Harold Baines......naaaaaah.......hmmmm.......it really looks like him.......yeah it's him!"

I guess you're not really used to seeing someone like that up close and personal. I wanted to say hi to him, but he looked like he was busy on his phone.

I saw Wills and Belton Bill up close during the first pre-game, and saw Harry from Mac, Jurko, and Harry.

I was wearing my Frank Thomas road jersey today.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-12-2003, 07:02 PM
i just came home from it, it was awesome. I picked up one of those McFarlane sets of corky and big hurt, i've always wanted to get one of the figures but they never had a white sox one and now they finally made one, just for the fan fest. I got a pack of cards from one of the booths and got a card with a piece of Chipper Jone's jersey, and won some trivia thing at the upper deck booth and got a t-shirt. The first question they asked(i'm 15 and the other guy was an adult) who was the last cubs pitcher to win NL Cy Young, I said Greg Maddux but they said it was rick setcliff, but the next 2 questions I got right so i'm a happy camper. Glad I went even though I don't have tickets to the all star game or home run derby

valposoxfan
07-12-2003, 09:07 PM
I had a ton of fun at the Fan Fest today. Seeing the Championship Trophy almost brought tears to my eyes, I'm not even joking. (I think it was sadness knowing that I will never see a Sox player hold it up to the cheers of Sox fans.) It was organized very well and was a great time. I was a lil disappointed by the trivia game but overall I had a great time and emptied my wallet in the process. Godd times. Wish I woulda worn my WSI shirt cuz I wanted to see who was there. I was gonna start yelling WSI but I didn't wanna get kicked out :smile:

sox_fan_forever
07-12-2003, 10:37 PM
I went yesterday (Friday). It was a lot of fun. Bill Melton was signing autographs when I got there, but I didn't feel like waiting in line. Lots of fun stuff to do there though. I saw Dan Patrick. Didn't see anyone else later though because we were on all the other side and we never walked back that way.

hose
07-13-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
I had a ton of fun at the Fan Fest today. Seeing the Championship Trophy almost brought tears to my eyes, I'm not even joking. (I think it was sadness knowing that I will never see a Sox player hold it up to the cheers of Sox fans.) It was organized very well and was a great time. I was a lil disappointed by the trivia game but overall I had a great time and emptied my wallet in the process. Godd times. Wish I woulda worn my WSI shirt cuz I wanted to see who was there. I was gonna start yelling WSI but I didn't wanna get kicked out :smile:

I was cracking up at the trivia game that is set up like Jeopardy.

There was a little 8 year old on one end , a guy that looked to be 30 with a Cub jersey and hat on in the middle, and then a 12-13 year old at the end.

The little 8 year old would buzz in on every question and then guess at the multiple choice getting most of them correct.

The 12-13 year old was very knowledgeable and between him and the 8 year old they were skunking the big dufus Cub fan that was towering over them.

The Cub fan was able to buzz in on the question of who is the White Sox manager.
A. Ron Schuler
B. Carlton Fisk
C. Kenny Williams
D. Jerry Manuel

He got the it wrong :D:

I also seen Jay Mariotti blabbing away at the ESPN 1000 booth and took a picture of him.

I plan on making a dart board with Jay's photo .

Mariotti had a nervous look on his face in front of a small group of fans. May be the Sox colors put the fear of God in him.

DrCrawdad
07-13-2003, 08:55 AM
Is the All-Star Futures Games telecast today, if not today when?

harwar
07-13-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Is the All-Star Futures Games telecast today, if not today when?

It will be broadcast on espn2 at 4:30 pm.But don't look for the "baseball tonight" guys to be broadcasting live from there after the game like they did last year from Miller Park because they are ON THE NORTH SIDE broadcasting a "special live from wrigley field" baseball tonight.If thats not a kick in the balls for JR i don't know what is.I mean its like the all-star game is at wrigley not Comiskey(i refuse to call it us cellular)Park.

rmusacch
07-13-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by ChiWhiteSox1337
i just came home from it, it was awesome. I picked up one of those McFarlane sets of corky and big hurt, i've always wanted to get one of the figures but they never had a white sox one and now they finally made one, just for the fan fest. I got a pack of cards from one of the booths and got a card with a piece of Chipper Jone's jersey, and won some trivia thing at the upper deck booth and got a t-shirt. The first question they asked(i'm 15 and the other guy was an adult) who was the last cubs pitcher to win NL Cy Young, I said Greg Maddux but they said it was rick setcliff, but the next 2 questions I got right so i'm a happy camper. Glad I went even though I don't have tickets to the all star game or home run derby

You were right if you said the last Cubs pitcher to win the Cy Young was Greg Maddux.

hose
07-14-2003, 07:40 AM
At some of the booths vendors are selling actual dirt from the Cell and sawdust from the bats of past and current players.

I about fell over from laughter when my nephew asked if there was any cork in Sosa's sawdust. :D: