PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Who is OFF and still ON the wagon thread?

Fridaythe13thJason
07-12-2003, 03:30 PM
Could this be stuck if people find it worthwhile. I would love to have an official record of who is off and who is still riding the Sox train to the postseason?

For the record...I am still excited, not worried, and riding this thing all the way to the postseason.

koch44
07-12-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
For the record...I am still excited, not worried, and riding this thing all the way to the postseason.

Me, too.

doublem23
07-12-2003, 03:32 PM
I will still be ON the "Sox 2003 AL Central Champion" Bandwagon until the end of July.. If the Sox aren't within 5 of the leader in the loss column when the dust settles on July 31 then I'll be on the "Let's Look at 2004" Bandwagon.

Or if we have a firesale. But hey, we've played better when we were written off for the last couple of years and I got a feeling that the Royals will still crumble. The Twins... They suck.

whitesoxwilkes
07-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Confidence remains high. This road trip will be a distant memory once we get home after the AS break and start pounding the opposition at the Cell.

Fridaythe13thJason
07-12-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
I will still be ON the "Sox 2003 AL Central Champion" Bandwagon until the end of July.. If the Sox aren't within 5 of the leader in the loss column when the dust settles on July 31 then I'll be on the "Let's Look at 2004" Bandwagon.

Or if we have a firesale. But hey, we've played better when we were written off for the last couple of years and I got a feeling that the Royals will still crumble. The Twins... They suck.

Agreed...I thought the other day about how bad this division is, and if we were to sell off a lot of guys, I feel like AAA Charlotte could still win the division. Now, THAT, would be a fun story. They would get womped in the playoffs, but it would still be very memorable.

Lip Man 1
07-12-2003, 04:00 PM
The Sox will not be going to the post season unless the individual players buy tickets.

Sorry, I don't think the Royals are going to disappear into the night.

I give Kenny Williams props for trying but after six years of Manager Gandhi the players by and large have tuned him out. Constant change means constant chaos.

With all the free agents and arbitration eligible players the Sox could be looking at a very, very dark next few years until ownership changes.

Lip

Daver
07-12-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

With all the free agents and arbitration eligible players the Sox could be looking at a very, very dark next few years until ownership changes.

Lip

If the trend in the FA market that started in 2002 continues,this is good news for the Sox,not bad.Look at some the players that were signed before the 2003 season and the money they signed for,the numbers are down across the board.

doublem23
07-12-2003, 04:10 PM
Was the Sox's future that much brighter before Williams went out and acquired Everett and Alomar? We would have had Jimenez, Miles, and Harris competing for 2nd and Rowand, Borchard, and Harris trying to get into center. Personally, I don't know how much of the future Kenny really mortgaged with the trades... The only one I really see coming back to bite us in a big way is Anthony Webster if Texas really picks him.

Personally I don't think the future of the Sox is any bleaker/brighter now than it was a few weeks ago. Oh my god! Kenny traded Royce Ring! We'll be sub-.500 forever now! Most of this "mortgage the future" talk is for the pessimists who always think the glass is half full (even when it's clearly not).

Fridaythe13thJason
07-12-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Was the Sox's future that much brighter before Williams went out and acquired Everett and Alomar? We would have had Jimenez, Miles, and Harris competing for 2nd and Rowand, Borchard, and Harris trying to get into center. Personally, I don't know how much of the future Kenny really mortgaged with the trades... The only one I really see coming back to bite us in a big way is Anthony Webster if Texas really picks him.

Personally I don't think the future of the Sox is any bleaker/brighter now than it was a few weeks ago. Oh my god! Kenny traded Royce Ring! We'll be sub-.500 forever now! Most of this "mortgage the future" talk is for the pessimists who always think the glass is half full (even when it's clearly not).

Half Empty, MM? I think that if we have to sell off Alomar and Everett, we will get some minimal talent at the low levels, which might be more of what we need as opposed to 3 center fielders for Jerry to play around with.

I'm not at all concerned with giving up a few prospects for a shot. I still think Alomar and Everett will make a big difference in the ALDS.

doublem23
07-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Half Empty, MM? I think that if we have to sell off Alomar and Everett, we will get some minimal talent at the low levels, which might be more of what we need as opposed to 3 center fielders for Jerry to play around with.

I'm not at all concerned with giving up a few prospects for a shot. I still think Alomar and Everett will make a big difference in the ALDS.

Yeah, that's what I meant... Weekend brain cramp. :) :)

DrCrawdad
07-12-2003, 04:17 PM
Could this be stuck if people find it worthwhile. I would love to have an official record of who is off and who is still riding the Sox train to the postseason?

DrCrawdad answers an ambiguous YES .

gosox41
07-12-2003, 04:44 PM

I'm teetering becuase the Sox are in by far the weakest division in baseball and well below .500. On the positive side, the pitching has been great...so good that even last years team would be in first place with this pitchingstaff. On the negative side, the offense hasn't figured it out. They're a bunch of headcases. 92 games into the season and hitting .244 as a team in unacceptable. IF they have the heart and desire to turn it around then I'll be firmly on the bandwagon. If they continue to suck and swing for the fences and with JM's constatnt tinkerting then I hold out zero hope for these guys.

Bob

Bisco Stu
07-12-2003, 06:48 PM
I'm ALWAYS on the Sox wagon.

I just want a different stagecoach driver...

voodoochile
07-12-2003, 06:56 PM
I never give up on a season until it becomes painfully obvious that the team won't make the playoffs (10 games out in late August or something similar). This thing is still up for grabs, but the Sox need to start showing some life. Sweeping the DH would be a great place to start.

FJA
07-12-2003, 07:09 PM
I'm on.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-12-2003, 07:12 PM
I'm still on. We're playing as poorly as we have all season and still managed to catch the Twins for second place. Man, this division sucks. 88 wins might be all it takes to win the whole damned thing.

RKMeibalane
07-12-2003, 07:23 PM
I'm still on. The division is bad enough that the Sox could probably reach the playoffs with eighty five wins.

valposoxfan
07-12-2003, 08:01 PM
I'm still on but we need to start winning on the road or I'm going to be severely teetering on the brink of jumping on or off the playoff bandwagon. And by that I mean that I don't know if they will make the playoffs if I jump off the bandwagon, not forget the team all together in case anyone thought I am just a fan if they are winning. Road wins would be nice...

VeeckAsInWreck
07-12-2003, 10:39 PM
I'm still on, for the simple fact that Kansas City and Minnesota are not running away with the division.
It's like the three teams at the top got up one morning, looked at the standings upside down, and decided it was time to give Detroit a run for their money!

The AL Central's slogan should be:

No, I insist.....you take 1st place!

oheeoh...magglio
07-12-2003, 10:42 PM
despite the fact this white sox team frusterates me more than any other one i can remember, i'm on. I mean, after a 2-7 road trip, we GAINED half a game on minnesota and went from 1 to 1/2 games behind them, and I think kansas city will fade their "stud" is JOSE LIMA for god's sake. I think the all star game will help this club out, and the fact that we are coming home for a while and that we have a few series left with kansas city keeps us alive. So i'm on the bandwagon, I refuse to surrender and I hope this ballclub shows that same attitude in the 2nd half GO SOX!!! :)

WinningUgly!
07-12-2003, 10:52 PM
I'm still aboard.
The Sox will win the AL Central by 5+ games.
(It could be with an 81-81 record. :D: )

sox_fan_forever
07-12-2003, 11:52 PM
I'm still on. The Sox are bad, true, but this division is so weak it's ridiculous not to hold out hope for as long as possible.

Thunderstruck30
07-13-2003, 12:10 AM
Im still on. Im slightly less confident as I was a week and a half ago, but this division is so weak. Minnesota is struggling and theres a good chance KC is not for real.

siugrad25
07-13-2003, 12:35 AM
I'm still on! Feel like I'm riding with no shocks, but I'm still bumping along. This team really does have the talent to win, but my god, make a change KW.

StillMissOzzie
07-13-2003, 02:29 AM
I'm ON, at least until the fire sale, which tells me that JR & KW have given up.

:gulp:

Dan H
07-13-2003, 07:18 AM
Being a lifelong Sox fan, I don't hop on and off a band wagon. But as far as really getting excited, I won't do that until this team gets over .500 and stays there. This road trip has been brutal. I thought after the recent run, the team may have found itself and gained some confidence. Being in the race because your division is no good is nothing to get excited about.

duke of dorwood
07-13-2003, 09:05 AM
I'm always on board-thats why this stings so bad. I still see enuf talent that it can be done.

harwar
07-13-2003, 09:33 AM
Been a White Sox fan all my life and i couldn't stop hoping they win even if i tried.However;The tough losing seasons are starting to get to me.I will root for the Sox even though i know they are not winning anything this year.
After they are 15 or 20 games back in mid august,i will do what i've been doing for the past 3 or 4 years.I'll pick a team i like and thats actually fun to watch and follow that team as far as they go.I actually started following the Dbacks and Angels before anyone thought they were going all the way.As sad as it is that team this year may be the royals.They may not go very far but they are fun to watch.Its kind of like living in a Kafka novel.

JasonC23
07-13-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
Being a lifelong Sox fan, I don't hop on and off a band wagon. But as far as really getting excited, I won't do that until this team gets over .500 and stays there. This road trip has been brutal. I thought after the recent run, the team may have found itself and gained some confidence. Being in the race because your division is no good is nothing to get excited about.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

fquaye149
07-13-2003, 03:55 PM
white sox will still win the world series in my opinion.

JRIG
07-13-2003, 04:00 PM
I am still on the wagon. This division is up for the taking. If the Sox actually want to win, I don't think anything will be in their way. That probably sounds pretty arrogant for a team 4 under at the break, but they have the most talent in the division by far. If the starting pitching performs as they have recently, I think 88 wins and a division crown is well within reach.

OKCSoxFan
07-13-2003, 05:29 PM
it's nice to see such optimists and all, but after reading the thread, a few things seem "given": 1) we won't win more than 90 games and 2) the Royals might not be legit.

The consensus seems to be that we might eek out the division with 85 wins or so. That would mean the Royals go 35-36 the rest of the way and we go 40-28. It can definitely happen, but I'm afraid that everyone is just fooling themselves.

Seems that every year the Sox don't win it, everyone sits back and says, "(insert team here) was just plain lucky." To heck with fundamentals and desire, I guess. It's much for fun to sit back and watch everyone pop up, trying to swing for fences, then talk about how team that actually "play" baseball just get lucky.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-13-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by OKCSoxFan
it's nice to see such optimists and all, but after reading the thread, a few things seem "given": 1) we won't win more than 90 games and 2) the Royals might not be legit.

The consensus seems to be that we might eek out the division with 85 wins or so. That would mean the Royals go 35-36 the rest of the way and we go 40-28. It can definitely happen, but I'm afraid that everyone is just fooling themselves.

Seems that every year the Sox don't win it, everyone sits back and says, "(insert team here) was just plain lucky." To heck with fundamentals and desire, I guess. It's much for fun to sit back and watch everyone pop up, trying to swing for fences, then talk about how team that actually "play" baseball just get lucky.

I agree with your basic premise. The standings always make the task seem far easier than the actual math would indicate. I call this the "NFL-ization" of the American sports fan. In that sport you only need to squeak out 1-2 extra wins to make the playoffs. To make the playoffs in baseball you need to play well for MONTHS practically every day. That is a much tougher task.

Still, Kansas City hasn't proven jack across 162 games, so I would not be the least bit surprised for them to have a 5-20 stretch sometime in the next 2-1/2 months. My bigger worry is that the Sox have played so lousy against the Royals. We need to make up games on them and we haven't proven that we can do it face to face. In fact, we haven't proven we can even get over .500. Until that happens we're nothing but pretenders--as the last 2 weeks have painfully proven. :angry:

Dan H
07-13-2003, 08:53 PM
During the last 2 1/2 seasons, Sox fans have been looking for a "spark." Otherwords, something to happen that provides momentum, gives the team confidence and enables it to run off a long string of wins. I thought after beating the Cubs in two emotinal series', finally besting those stupid Twins, and holding their own against the Dodgers and Giants, that the Sox had that "spark." Instead they go on a 3-7 road trip against three losing teams. So much for a spark.

I would like to be optimistic but this team is right at .500 for its last 428 games. Is this team really good or are we acting like reality challenged Cub fans?

JJAustin69
07-13-2003, 10:14 PM
I agree with Dan. It finally looked like the Sox had the surge they needed to become a legitimate playoff threat and then they tank to the worst teams in the league. How can any realistic Sox fan jump on or off the bandwagon with both feet. One of the most perplexing times I have ever experienced as a lifelong Sox fan.

Chisox353014
07-14-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by JJAustin69
I agree with Dan. It finally looked like the Sox had the surge they needed to become a legitimate playoff threat and then they tank to the worst teams in the league. How can any realistic Sox fan jump on or off the bandwagon with both feet. One of the most perplexing times I have ever experienced as a lifelong Sox fan.

I'll vote for "perplexing" as the best adjective to describe the 2003 Sox too. I just don't get how you win 9 of 12 against your 2 most hated rivals...and then get swept by Detroit. I'll have a glimmer of hope until we're mathematically eliminated, but after last week I don't think this team has any real chance of putting anything consistent together. I mean, If you can't win more than 3 out of 10 against the dregs of the league while getting more or less solid pitching...

Gumshoe
07-14-2003, 11:37 AM
The reality of the situation is that the Cubs and Minnesota aren't that good. If you think of it that way, you'll see everything makes sense. There is no way that you are going to get consistent play (hitting, defense, fundamentals) when a set lineup is not in effect. Given that this manager messes around so much and has gone way past "FEEL" (as he claims so often), it would be obvious that a team with talent would hover around .500 and then experience both upswings (Cubs, Twins) and downswings (TB and DET).

The worst thing is that while he's been inconsistent with the lineup, he's been consistent with the bullpen use. And it took him a half a year to figure out that Koch shouldn't be in games that are close! That TB 3-run jack given up to Crawford was ENORMOUS. That lost the series, it was a first game of a series, and sent them in to a tailspin after a hot time. It was another streak and win taken away by the "true closer", Billy Koch. Ha.

We could have beat SF more games, Boston the same way, and those are solid teams. But what prevented it? lineups and lack of uniformity in understanding what needs to get done to WIN.

So much talent, SUCH A waste, such a badly managed team.
What did I say about Aaron Rowand boys? Manly. Everett was a TERRIBLE move. We don't need him. He can't hit or field as well as Rowand.

Gumshoe