PDA

View Full Version : Another Pointless Rant

RKMeibalane
07-12-2003, 03:24 PM
I dread looking over the lineup card for each White Sox game, because I never know what I will find written there. However, there are a few things that irritate me more than others. I'll start at the top, and work my way down the list.

Batting third, the designated hitter, Frank Thomas.

When is Jerry Manuel going to realize that Frank Thomas should play first base every day? When Frank is on his game, he is the best hitter in baseball. He has proven this over the past six weeks, ever since he was moved back to first base on May 28. Yet, the Tinkerer has decided that Thomas should still see action as the DH. Is Manuel trying to get fired? I can think of no other reason why he would want to ruin a good thing.

Batting sixth, the first baseman, Paul Konerko.

Konerko has been awful this season. Yet, Manuel wants him to continue to get at-bats in the hopes that he will rediscover his stroke and being to help the club. Fine. If that's what JM wants to do, then he needs to use Konerko at DH. Playing him at first means that Thomas is the designated hitter, and that's not a good thing. Furthermore, Brian Daubach has swung the bat well, and he deserves to be the everyday DH. Paulie should be limited to pinch-hitting and facing lefties. Earth to Jerry Manuel, wake up!

Leading off, the centerfielder, Willie Harris.

I like Willie Harris. I respect the effort he puts forth on a daily basis. He is a talented athlete, and he has excellent speed. I wouldn't be surprised if he one day leads the league in stolen bases. There's just one problem... he can't hit at all. What good does it do have yet another gaping hole in an already-struggling lineup? If Manuel wants to use Harris, then the time do so is in a close ballgame, when a pinch-runner is necessary. Otherwise, this guy should remain on the bench. The only danger he causes when he has a bat in his hands is to his own team and their chances of winning.

Batting second, the second baseman, Tony Graffanino.

Tony G makes an excellent reserve infielder, but he also makes a terrible everyday player. Not surprisingly, Manuel hasn't realized this, and I don't he ever will. Graffanino is in the lineup all the time these days, and he does nothing. Why? Because every one of his weaknesses as a ballplayer has been exposed, and other teams are taking advantage of them. This is why he should be limited to starting once a week, or playing if someone is injured. He doesn't have the talent to hold down a permenent position in the lineup, so he shouldn't be there.

Do I need to go on? I think I've proven my point. Manuel needs to go. His tinkering is killing this franchise.

SoxxoS
07-12-2003, 04:14 PM
We better watch out now, because Konerko is allegedly "breaking out" of his slump. (Although Joey Cora could probably hit one out off Mulholland). That means a lot more games with Frank at DH if these Konerko two hit games continue...

gosox41
07-12-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
We better watch out now, because Konerko is allegedly "breaking out" of his slump. (Although Joey Cora could probably hit one out off Mulholland). That means a lot more games with Frank at DH if these Konerko two hit games continue...

Guess his hip made a miraculous recovery and instead of degenerating is regenerating. Maybe he's got Hulk like genes.

Bob