PDA

View Full Version : Mike Porzio?

gosox41
07-12-2003, 10:09 AM
That's who's starting Game 2 of the DH today. Guess us Sox fans are hoping to split the Cleveland series.

On another note, I have a question. I don't follow the minor leagues as much as I should though I am starting to get into it more. It's been mentioned that KW ran the 1999 and 2000 drafts instead of Schu. My issue is with the fact that the Sox have so few legit AAA or AA prospects. Shouldn't guys from these drafts be at AA now? I know not every top prospect goes to AAA, but the Sox seem abre in AAA and AA. All the talk I hear about is the lower levels of the minor leagues and all these prospects, but there's no immediate help. Now I know Jeremy Reed and some other guys were just promoted, but what happened to the guys from the 1999-2000 draft. Didn't the Sox have 7 first round and sandwich picks in 1999?

Bob

Hangar18
07-12-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
That's who's starting Game 2 of the DH today. Guess us Sox fans are hoping to split the Cleveland series.
Bob

Sacrificial Lamb. I noticed last nite how the Tigers went back to LOSING again....losing to the Red Sox handily....*sigh*

SoxxoS
07-12-2003, 11:04 AM
I like how Jorge Sosa (D-Rays) got bombed...you know...the guy who looked like Cy Young against us last Saturday...

VeeckAsInWreck
07-12-2003, 06:36 PM
Mike Porzio?

My thoughts exactly! What? Jaime Navarro wasn't available?

I hope Porzio proves me wrong and pitches his arse off, but I doubt that will happen!

PROVE ME WRONG! please!

Daver
07-12-2003, 06:45 PM

On another note, I have a question. I don't follow the minor leagues as much as I should though I am starting to get into it more. It's been mentioned that KW ran the 1999 and 2000 drafts instead of Schu. My issue is with the fact that the Sox have so few legit AAA or AA prospects. Shouldn't guys from these drafts be at AA now? I know not every top prospect goes to AAA, but the Sox seem abre in AAA and AA. All the talk I hear about is the lower levels of the minor leagues and all these prospects, but there's no immediate help. Now I know Jeremy Reed and some other guys were just promoted, but what happened to the guys from the 1999-2000 draft. Didn't the Sox have 7 first round and sandwich picks in 1999?

Bob

1999 was the last of the Schueler drafts,KW took over in 2000,most of his draft picks are playing in high A ball now,and a lot of them will be promoted to AA after the A season is over.After this years draft,and the fact that the Sox managed to sign all ten of their top ten picks,I would be willing to speculate that the Sox farm system will be back in the top ten as early as next season.The Sox have a lot of talent at high A and below,but a farm system is not rebuilt overnight,three yaers is not enough to undo what Schueler did in 8 years.

cornball
07-12-2003, 07:03 PM
And what exactly did Schuler do in 8 years?

Daver
07-12-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by cornball
And what exactly did Schuler do in 8 years?

He wasted first round picks on Mark Johnson and Jason Dallero,ignored his scouts advice,and lived off the picks made by Larry Himes.

Oh and he drafted his daughter.

voodoochile
07-12-2003, 07:40 PM
Doesn't look horrible through 2. In fact, he looks a damn bit better than Danny Wright did. He is throwing the ball with confidence and moving it around a bit. Keep it going Mike...

Is Wright coming back after the ASG, or is his stay in AAA semi-permanent?

Scotty347
07-12-2003, 08:17 PM
Porzio is definitely better than Danny Wright.

He doesn't look bad out there.

Wasn't he fat last year in the bullpen?
He's in good shape now. (except for the 2 run double he just gave up)

Daver
07-12-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Scotty347

He is heavier this year than he was last year.

voodoochile
07-12-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Scotty347
Porzio is definitely better than Danny Wright.

He doesn't look bad out there.

you mean that single that Carlos "The Butcher" Lee dove in the general direction of?

gosox41
07-12-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by daver
1999 was the last of the Schueler drafts,KW took over in 2000,most of his draft picks are playing in high A ball now,and a lot of them will be promoted to AA after the A season is over.After this years draft,and the fact that the Sox managed to sign all ten of their top ten picks,I would be willing to speculate that the Sox farm system will be back in the top ten as early as next season.The Sox have a lot of talent at high A and below,but a farm system is not rebuilt overnight,three yaers is not enough to undo what Schueler did in 8 years.

I'm glad to hear there's some hope. I thought the Sox had the #1 ranked system in 2000 according to BA. Wouldn't a lot of that be Schu's work? Also, shouldn't there be some picks from the year 2000 having success in the upper minors by now. Borchard gives my some hope but he's not showing the improvement he should.

Bob

Daver
07-12-2003, 11:15 PM
I'm glad to hear there's some hope. I thought the Sox had the #1 ranked system in 2000 according to BA. Wouldn't a lot of that be Schu's work? Also, shouldn't there be some picks from the year 2000 having success in the upper minors by now. Borchard gives my some hope but he's not showing the improvement he should.

Bob

The Sox system was second in 2000,but BA bases a lot of that on guys that were called up the year before.

Jeremy Reed is rocketing through the ranks,as much as the new regime will allow him to,which I find funny because a lot of experts considered him a waste of a second round pick.

KW and Duane Schaffer have changed the entire focus of the minor league system,players are no longer promoted as soon as they show some promise at any given level,as they were under the Schueler regime,the Sox would rather develop players and find out exactly what they have,so as to avoid the big league club from calling up another Scott Ruffcorn to have him fall on his face.

It will take time to fix this from top to bottom,but it is nice to see that the Sox are starting to focus on overall skills instead of pure hitting,or the radar gun,they are trying to develop baseball players now,something teams like the Twins have been doing all along.

hose
07-13-2003, 08:19 AM
The Sox system was second in 2000,but BA bases a lot of that on guys that were called up the year before.

Jeremy Reed is rocketing through the ranks,as much as the new regime will allow him to,which I find funny because a lot of experts considered him a waste of a second round pick.

KW and Duane Schaffer have changed the entire focus of the minor league system,players are no longer promoted as soon as they show some promise at any given level,as they were under the Schueler regime,the Sox would rather develop players and find out exactly what they have,so as to avoid the big league club from calling up another Scott Ruffcorn to have him fall on his face.

It will take time to fix this from top to bottom,but it is nice to see that the Sox are starting to focus on overall skills instead of pure hitting,or the radar gun,they are trying to develop baseball players now,something teams like the Twins have been doing all along.

That is what I hoped was going on.

Great to hear that the farm system is starting to DEVELOP players with all around baseball skills. Most of us here have bitched about the lack of fundamentals the Sox show in games, at least the organization recognizes this also.

It looks like the Sox have some decent pitching and outfield prospects. A good solid shortstop and second baseman would be nice.

gosox41
07-13-2003, 08:38 AM

I hope your optimism hold true because it could save KW's job. He's been pretty lousy at the rest of the aspects of his job. Of course I still think he wasted a pick when he picked a reliever in the first round last season, especially after he was interested in that SP mentioned in "Moneyball" who is having some succes right now. I'd take a good starter over a good reliever any day.

Bob