PDA

View Full Version : spreadin' rumors: Frank retiring?

cheeses_h_rice
08-23-2001, 10:59 AM
http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-whitesox&msg=5088.1&ctx=0

I don't put any stock in it, personally. Frank's still way too young and still has at least 5 good years left in him.

Has anyone anywhere heard anything about this possibility?

voodoochile
08-23-2001, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-whitesox&msg=5088.1&ctx=0

I don't put any stock in it, personally. Frank's still way too young and still has at least 5 good years left in him.

Has anyone anywhere heard anything about this possibility?

No, and I would bet if anything it is a stunt to get out of his current contract. If he isn't ready to play by opening day, he could retire and then when the contract is dead, he could resign with anyone for any price. It may also just be a bargaining ploy to get JR to remove the Diminished Skills clause in his contract. Trust, me no one walks away from that much guaranteed money, least of all Frank who has money problems, high alimony and a new girlfriend. He will be playing somewhere someday again...

Paulwny
08-23-2001, 12:09 PM
VC your white sox paranoia is showing. You don't think Frank would do something that self serving?

voodoochile
08-23-2001, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
VC your white sox paranoia is showing. You don't think Frank would do something that self serving?

He might. Everyone knows his unhappiness with his contract. I don't know if it is true or not, and I lean toward not, but if it is true, then my bet is it's a contract ploy...

cheeses_h_rice
08-23-2001, 12:19 PM
Didn't JR give his word that he would not invoke the diminished skills clause? Or was that just during the offseason spat?

voodoochile
08-23-2001, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Didn't JR give his word that he would not invoke the diminished skills clause? Or was that just during the offseason spat?

JR denys it, but I wouldn't doubt it was true anyway. (what's he going to say, "I verbally agreed to change the contract"?) But even so, about a third of Franks money gets deferred every year. He maybe looking at the big money deals and figure this is his last chance to sign one (especially with the arm injury that leaves his future in question). If he retires before anyone proves he is or is not a good player still than he can sign a new contract based on his last full years and career numbers (think someone would pay him $12 million at least to DH for them? Seattle? Oakland? Boston?). If it doesn't work out, he can go back to JR and say, "Can I unretire?" and JR will take him back in a hearbeat.

The recent signing of Maggs to a contract almost as rich as Frank's with no deferred money or special clauses. Frank is a head case about his contract, that much is obvious. He isn't retiring, no way. He's just using the one bargaining tool he has left...

BTW, I still doubt he does this at all...

steff
08-23-2001, 02:05 PM
Trust, me no one walks away from that much guaranteed money, least of all Frank who has money problems, high alimony and a new girlfriend.

No such thing as alimony in Illinois. He gave her a cash settlement (supposedly worth 26 million) and two houses. Paid the kids college and pays $5K a month in child support. That isn't what's hurting him. It's HIS habits. If he can't live on 8 mil a year, something else is going on... Personally, I think it's crap. Frank knows he wont get a better deal anywhere else. As usual, people who know nothing running their mouths. Was Gammons part of this rumor?

OutcastRadio
08-23-2001, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

He might. Everyone knows his unhappiness with his contract. I don't know if it is true or not, and I lean toward not, but if it is true, then my bet is it's a contract ploy...

I'd be surprised....that same tactic bit Barry Sanders in the hiney.