PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Sweeney signed

hose
07-11-2003, 07:36 PM
Farmio mentioned that the Sox have come to terms with Ryan Sweeney.

SoxxoS
07-11-2003, 07:53 PM
Let's call him up

Wait...maybe that shouldn't be in teal.

doublem23
07-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Sweet deal. Bottom of this farm system is starting to look good.

jeremyb1
07-12-2003, 02:11 AM
good timing because it seems time to start looking towards the future moreso than the present.

JRIG
07-12-2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by doublem23
Sweet deal. Bottom of this farm system is starting to look good.

Maybe someone knows a little better than me, but I see virtually no talent at the AAA level right now, outside of Borchard and perhaps Rauch. Is that correct? Anyone there worth watching? I was just very saddened checking out the stats at Baseball America.

chisoxt
07-12-2003, 06:47 AM
Maybe someone knows a little better than me, but I see virtually no talent at the AAA level right now, outside of Borchard and perhaps Rauch. Is that correct? Anyone there worth watching? I was just very saddened checking out the stats at Baseball America.

Nowadays, the best minor league talent is at Double A....But I don't think that there is much there either. Our minor league system has really gone downhill in the eyes of the baseball world.

Yet another failure of Kenny Williams. This guy sucks!

sox_fan_forever
07-13-2003, 12:24 AM
I am very happy to hear that Sweeney has signed. Awesome draft for the Sox this year. :smile:

Randar68
07-13-2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by chisoxt
Nowadays, the best minor league talent is at Double A....But I don't think that there is much there either. Our minor league system has really gone downhill in the eyes of the baseball world.

Idiot alert!!!!!!

The best talent in this system right now is in A ball and the Short-season leagues. Cotts and Reed are the only 2 guys in AA I'd put on a top 15 prospect list.

In AAA, there is Diaz (not yet 23 years old) and TIm Hummel who will hit if they stop playing him all over the place (at least he'll be used to it by the time Jerry get's to mess with him)

In case you didn't know (and it is obvious you don't), most of the AA and AAA players are not Kenny WIlliams picks. Those were Schueler picks or minor league journey-men, on the whole. Also, for the most part, Kenny let's the Scouting Director (Doug Laumann) run the draft.

Randar68
07-13-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by sox_fan_forever
I am very happy to hear that Sweeney has signed. Awesome draft for the Sox this year. :smile:

100% Agree. Sweeney is a mid-1st-round talent. Nachreiner is a good talent if he can stay healthy, and Nanita is a very good raw athlete.

At this point, I find it unlikely, but if they could sign Greg Moviel or Wes Hodges, I would be even more psyched. (I have given up on Donald Veal)

spanishwhite
07-13-2003, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by chisoxt

sorry to come down on you, but you are completely wrong.

Double A features Cotts, Pacheco, and Reed.

They are not our best talent. But those three are the best at Birmingham. Winston-Salem and Kannapolis has better talent than Birmingham, I think that even Charlotte possibly has better talent.

And, who do you think brought Pacheco and Cotts over to this system through trades. Not to mention that Reed came through a KW draft. KW hasnt been the best, but one thing he has done is to evaluate young talent pretty accurately.