PDA

View Full Version : Today's Tribune article on Foulke

carltonfisk
08-23-2001, 10:52 AM
http://chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,160321,00.html

What are JR and KW thinking?!? It is clear that Foulke is one of the few things going for us this year. He's been pretty consistent for the past two years, and I can totally see him making the all star team next year if continues to put up the numbers that he's had. However, it totally sounds like they don't think he's too important to keep around. I hope I'm wrong on this one. It's been said many times that in order to be a championship-caliber team, you need a few important pieces of the puzzle, one being a strong, dependable closer. Foulke is exactly that. Howry isn't. Yet he's the one with the semi-fat contract. Yeah, there are guys in the minors who are supposedly good, but they aren't proven like Foulke is. JR doesn't like to give pitchers long-term deals and that somewhat makes sense just due to the fact that pitchers are very eratic (unless your last name is Maddux, Clemens, Martinez, or Johnson). However, look at the last time JR gave a pitcher a long-term deal - Jamie Navarro. Geez, anybody could have seen that debacle coming! So basically, I'm saying that Foulke deserves a little (actually, a lot) more respect than he's been getting. Alright, I'll get off the soapbox now.

carltonfisk
08-23-2001, 10:54 AM
Ok, so I just saw that someone else posted the same thing last night. Sorry about that.