PDA

View Full Version : Today I Gazed Into The Crystal Ball...

RKMeibalane
07-11-2003, 04:34 PM
...and saw the future. I have been to 2004 and back. This is what I know:

Taken from the Cubune, July 11, 2004:

Los Angeles 10, Chicago 3

Former White Sox slugger Frank "The Big Hurt" Thomas returned to the Windy City Friday, this marking his first trip to Chicago as a member of an organization other than the White Sox.

Thomas went 3-4, crushing a three-run homerun onto Waveland Avenue off of Cubs starter Matt Clement in the first inning. He later added an RBI double and a sacrifice fly. The homerun was Thomas' fifteenth of the season, and his second off of Clement.

The former Sox star received a warm ovation from a large contingent of Sox fans, who made the trip crosstown to see their former hero take his hacks against Cubs pitching. One group of fans sported a banner that read, "Welcome home, Big Frank! WSI is proud of you!"

Thomas, who was named to his sixth All Star team this past Sunday, spoke with reporters after the game.

"It's good to be back," he said. "I have a lot of great memories here. It's just a shame that things had to end the way they did, with Reinsdorf slashing payroll and Jerry (Manuel) getting fired. I guess that's just the way things go sometimes."

When asked about the difference between the American and National leagues, Thomas responded by saying, "Because of the DH, the American League is more about playing for the big inning. I think that's why so many teams over there are built to swing the for the fences.

"Here in the National League, there's more strategy involved because the pitcher has to bat. You can't depend on scoring four or five runs in an inning, because it doesn't happen that much. I don't think it's happened to us the whole year."

Thomas' former team, the Sox, didn't fare as well Friday, losing to the Seattle Mariners 14-2. Carlos Lee and Brian Daubach, Thomas' replacements at DH and first base, combined to go 0-7 with three strikeouts.

Sox rightfielder Magglio Ordonez was ejected in the fifth inning after he protested a called third-strike by homeplate umpire, Eric Cooper. Cooper has some history with the Sox, dating back to last season, when he took away a Joe Crede homerun and ejected Frank Thomas for arguing balls and strikes.

In other news, former Sox manager Jerry Manuel is back at work, and he's loving his new life. Manuel recently opened an auto repair shop near his home in suburban Atlanta. He says that he opened the shop because he "has a passion for tinkering with cars."

Hangar18
07-11-2003, 04:38 PM
I saw Frank doing stretching exercises on the field at Dodger
Stadium last month, and he had a calm and confident Demeanor
to him. I watched him for a while, and just looked like a bad-ass, and I thought to myself, I could see him as a Dodger.