PDA

View Full Version : Deja vu all over again?

chisoxt
07-11-2003, 02:54 PM
I don't know if you all recall, but last year in June, the Sox went to Cleveland three games in front of the injuns and managed to lose all three and then were tied. At that time the Sox were struglgling, on the heals of losing those tough games against the Yankees, and Cleveland was playing well. Don't look now, but this is playing out much the same way this weekend.....We're four in front of Cleveland and set to play a four game series, the starting pitching matchups look none too good, we suck and Cleveland is hot.

I would take a split in this series, right now!

harwar
07-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Well,it ain't over till its over so who knows.After the break we play these teams at home and can maybe play at .700.This may be the first time in MLB history that a team below .500 wins a division and goes on to win the World Series.Now THATS optimism!

southpaw40
07-11-2003, 03:11 PM
I hope deja vu refers to the 1983 season! I just checked, and on July 11, 1983, we began a three game series with the Indians:

July 11 - Sox win, 9-2
July 12 - Sox win, 8-0
July 13 - Sox win, 5-1

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Iwritecode
07-11-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt
I don't know if you all recall, but last year in June, the Sox went to Cleveland three games in front of the injuns and managed to lose all three and then were tied. At that time the Sox were struglgling, on the heals of losing those tough games against the Yankees, and Cleveland was playing well. Don't look now, but this is playing out much the same way this weekend.....We're four in front of Cleveland and set to play a four game series, the starting pitching matchups look none too good, we suck and Cleveland is hot.

I would take a split in this series, right now!

We need more than a split. We need at least 3 of 4. A sweep would be better to at least get us back to .500. It does kind of worry me though that Cleveland has been playing a bit better as of late (taking a series from NY and beating KC IIRC) and the Sox have been sucking.

I also remember last year going on vacation for a week and coming home to find out the Sox were swept (or lost 3 of 4 don't remember for sure) against the Tigers. Those were huge wasted opportunites because the Twins were struggling then too.

Iwritecode
07-11-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by harwar
Well,it ain't over till its over so who knows.After the break we play these teams at home and can maybe play at .700.This may be the first time in MLB history that a team below .500 wins a division and goes on to win the World Series.Now THATS optimism!

The Sox have been a better home team so hopefully that will help. The one saving grace is that they still have a lot of games left against KC. That's been what's killed them the past couple of years is their H2H record against the division leaders. If they can make up some ground that way, they might have a chance...

Chisox353014
07-11-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
The Sox have been a better home team so hopefully that will help. The one saving grace is that they still have a lot of games left against KC. That's been what's killed them the past couple of years is their H2H record against the division leaders. If they can make up some ground that way, they might have a chance...

It figures that the year the Sox finally figure out how to beat the Twins, they stink it up against the freakin' Indians and Tigers.

gosox41
07-11-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by southpaw40
I hope deja vu refers to the 1983 season! I just checked, and on July 11, 1983, we began a three game series with the Indians:

July 11 - Sox win, 9-2
July 12 - Sox win, 8-0
July 13 - Sox win, 5-1

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

To many comparisons to a team that has nothing do to with the current one. While '83 was a ton of fun, there's no point in living in the past unless it's to frustrate all of us even more.

Bob