PDA

View Full Version : The Fallout

Lip Man 1
07-11-2003, 01:02 PM
As expected (and in my opinion deservedly so...) the media has been brutal towards the Sox on Friday after the embarassment of the past ten days.

Doug Padillia the beat reporter for the Sun Times must read WSI because in his game recap story he called the Sox "the laughingstock of baseball..." Exactly what a fan posted on the message boards yesterday.

And those of you faint of heart will not want to read Steve Rosenbloom's column in the Tribune. He slices, dices and chops up the Sox with surgical precision. (Including talking about the Sox "so called" advance scouting)

The Sox were also called "the embarassment of baseball" in another story although I can't remember in which paper.

Which brings a question to mind, I wondering if those of you who honestly feel the media is biased against the Sox are as angry when they attack the Sox after embarassing themselves?

In other words is it OK (in your opinion) for the Sox to get attacked by the media when you feel they deserve it as well?

I'd be interested in hearing your comments.

Lip

FoulTerritory
07-11-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
As expected (and in my opinion deservedly so...) the media has been brutal towards the Sox on Friday after the embarassment of the past ten days.

Doug Padillia the beat reporter for the Sun Times must read WSI because in his game recap story he called the Sox "the laughingstock of baseball..." Exactly what a fan posted on the message boards yesterday.

And those of you faint of heart will not want to read Steve Rosenbloom's column in the Tribune. He slices, dices and chops up the Sox with surgical precision. (Including talking about the Sox "so called" advance scouting)

The Sox were also called "the embarassment of baseball" in another story although I can't remember in which paper.

Which brings a question to mind, I wondering if those of you who honestly feel the media is biased against the Sox are as angry when they attack the Sox after embarassing themselves?

In other words is it OK (in your opinion) for the Sox to get attacked by the media when you feel they deserve it as well?

Lip

I personally have no problem with th emedia "slicing and dicing" away at the Sox when they are embarassing themselves and me as a sox fan. What gets my goat about the media is when we are playing damn good ball, such as in 2000, and the scrubbies are floundering, but they still get the the majority of the articles and general coverage press.

Hangar18
07-11-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

Im one of the bigger Media-Haters around, and heck yeah...
if the sox deserve it GIVE THEM HECK. Problem is, this team
would just be ignored, and attn given to the other team. No Scalding Columns, No Articles calling for Changes in MGMT etc.
We need this kind of MEdia Attn so that maybe WE can See some changes too for the better......

duke of dorwood
07-11-2003, 01:20 PM
Bothers me because any good accomplishments are never played up. Do bad, and those who usually pay no attention have typewriters in high gear.

daveb816
07-11-2003, 01:39 PM
I have no problem with bad media when it's deserved. I do have a problem with it otherwise - such as on Saturday, April 19th. Sox stood at 10-6, had won 3 in a row, and Rosenbloom was absolutely merciless to them on his Score show - playing an unimaginative 'Sox suck' song, calling them the most anonymous, star-lacking team in baseball, etc.

He was just as bad on March 1st fter their first exhibition game, among other things bringing up that tired old trash-talking-vs.-Twins argument when only newly-acquired Koch had said anything vs. Twins last winter, while several Twins (Mientkiewicz, etc.) had trashed the Sox.

DC Sox Fan
07-11-2003, 01:43 PM
This just in... Kenny Williams has held a press conference to answer to these allegations of terrible play. I found a link to the video of the conference live at the Cell...

Kenny Williams Press Conference (http://www.theinformationminister.com/press.php?ID=612314363)

JJAustin69
07-11-2003, 02:07 PM
No, I am not upset if they get ripped in the press when they deserve it. That is what seperates us from Cubdom etc. However, I don't appreciate the fact that they are treated like second-class citizens in a town where they may indeed have the silent majority of fans. The latest evidence of that would be the Cubs vs Yanks/Sox vs Giants weekend when all media outlets were reporting the Yankees return to Wrigley as breathlessly as if we had just landed a man on Mars. You would never imagine that the Yankees have been coming to town every year since 1901! Meanwhile, Bonds and co. were all but ignored at Comiskey, aside from the occasional snippet of one of his homeruns.

Hangar18
07-11-2003, 03:17 PM
Heres another example of bias in our media here. Baker says something thats Arguably controversial. MIke Kiley, cub fan, apoligist, columnist, wrote an Article in the Cub-Times today
Downplaying the whole flap, and even Likened it to the Civil War
Battle. article basically Commends Baker for being brave and saying something and backing up his statements

southpaw40
07-11-2003, 03:36 PM
I am never upset at anything the "media" says. I learned long ago that the "media" has confused news reporting with entertainment. Don Henley had it right, it's a business based on "dirty laundry"!!!

NC_sox_fan
07-11-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by DC Sox Fan
This just in... Kenny Williams has held a press conference to answer to these allegations of terrible play. I found a link to the video of the conference live at the Cell...

Kenny Williams Press Conference (http://www.theinformationminister.com/press.php?ID=612314363)

This is really funny stuff. Very clever!

voodoochile
07-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by NC_sox_fan
This is really funny stuff. Very clever!

I like the video, but that is a really old shot of SoxPark. They still have the gaps in the OF poweralleys for the bullpens...

gosox41
07-11-2003, 04:44 PM
I wasn't in town the last week. How did the Tribune and Tribune handle Baker's comments? Do you think if JR would have said what Baker said he would get the same treatment in the media?

Bob