PDA

View Full Version : If Manuel gets fired?

TheGipper
07-11-2003, 12:18 PM
I don't post often, but do check the board out a couple of times a week. Very frustrated with the offense and have seen numerous post calling for Manuel to get the boot.

Does anyone have any ideas on who is out there that would be a great get for the Sox and why.

FoulTerritory
07-11-2003, 01:06 PM
I'm personally a fan of the controversial Bobby Valentin. He may be odd and a camera hog, but he knows how to manage. A true dreamer might raise the possibility of Jim Leyland.

But I truly think the best route would be to kidnap Bobby Cox from Atlanta, change his physical appearance with plastic surgery a la a James Bond film, and then put him on our bench. Of course we woulud have to replace Cox in Atlanta with a virtually identical doppleganger so as to not get caught. I think we, at WSI, could pull it off.

My 3rd option would be to suggest a candidate known as Anyone. Because Anyone is gaurenteed to be better than Jerry Manuel. Hell, I can personally assure you that we would have at least two more victories if I had managed the team thus far. And I'm not too bright at all.

So bring on Wally Backman, or even Don Baylor, or let Bill Clinton manage the sox, or even hire John Shoop. Someone, Anyone!!! It doesn't matter, just FIRE JERRY MANUEL!

Clembasbal
07-11-2003, 01:11 PM
Llyodd McClendon would be sweet...he is from Valparaiso Indiana (which is like 40 minutes from 'The Cell').

I also like Mike Hargrove, I always loved him even when he managed the Indians...he might be bad in developing talent but he knows how to coach talent. And he hasn't done a bad job with a terrible terrible Orioles team either, the same goes for Lloydd in Pittsburgh.

But, I also agree with -- FoulTerritory -- we need a change.

Lip Man 1
07-11-2003, 01:24 PM
If Jerry Manuel gets fired...

He won't.

Lip

duke of dorwood
07-11-2003, 01:25 PM
He wont be fired, but I think Baylor would fit well here. He managed a team built on offense in Colorado and did Ok. Plus he seems to be classy, just from the diarreah I hear coming from the current manager on the North side's mouth

FoulTerritory
07-11-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
If Jerry Manuel gets fired...

He won't.

Lip

Lip~

Can't you let us fantasize a little . . . its all we've got

:)

harwar
07-11-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by FoulTerritory
I'm personally a fan of the controversial Bobby Valentin.

the best route would be to kidnap Bobby Cox from Atlanta

Can you imagine Valentine dealing with big Frank,R.Alomar,& Everett if things really go bad?

Also,get Bobby Cox as a GM.Now that guy KNOWS how to build a winner and what it takes.He was GM & manager when the braves started to rebuild.

Irishsox1
07-11-2003, 02:13 PM
Lloyd McCledon??!!! That is down right laughable. That guy is one of the worst managers, and yet the second to last place Pirates just gave him a contract extension.

My first choice would be Larry Dierker. I like his aggresive style and he always knew how to handle pitchers. The guy won the NL Central division 4 out of 5 years, often out managing LaRussa.

My second choice would be John McLaren, Lou Pinella's bench coach. He's been Lou's bench coach for a couple of years and is ready to be a MLB manager, thats if he wants to be a manager of the Sox. Plus he was a former catcher which never hurts when it comes to managers.

Then my third choice would be Wally Bachman. Scrappy infielder, but he seems like he's not ready. My guess is that since he's with the Sox already, he'll get the call.

Either way, Jerry M. has been with the Sox for 6 years and I'm pretty sure what his teams deliever and that would be consistant inconsistancy. A .500 manager year in and year out, with the execption of the first half of 2000. It's time for Jerry to go at the end of the year and start over......again.

LASOXFAN
07-11-2003, 03:25 PM
WILLIE RANDOLPH

If you want to win like the Yankees, get someone who knows how, both as a player and a coach. Why choose an unknown? Willie would bring that winning mentality with him and he wouldn't keep anyone who wasn't on board.

guillen4life13
07-11-2003, 03:57 PM
Jeff Torborg is available. I've been campaigning for this guy for some time now. Many of you say he was the last good manager the Sox had. If that's the case... I say why not?

MattSharp
07-11-2003, 04:26 PM
Two words: Bobby Valentine

If we can't have him Wally Backman, Larry Dierker, and Jeff Torborg were all good suggestions.

gosox41
07-11-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
Jeff Torborg is available. I've been campaigning for this guy for some time now. Many of you say he was the last good manager the Sox had. If that's the case... I say why not?

Not a bad idea, but no way it happens while JR is still here.

Bob

gosox41
07-11-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by TheGipper
I don't post often, but do check the board out a couple of times a week. Very frustrated with the offense and have seen numerous post calling for Manuel to get the boot.

Does anyone have any ideas on who is out there that would be a great get for the Sox and why.

Look at the criteria the Sox have used for hiring managers
1. No ML experience.
2. Cheap
3. Recommended by LaRussa or Leyland
4. Quiet, not firey.
5. Not too bright about baseball decisions.

And of course the newest and most controversial criteria:

7. Minority. JR is head of the minority hiring committee. Don't think it doesn't matter because to him because it does.

Bob

Paulwny
07-11-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
WILLIE RANDOLPH

If you want to win like the Yankees, get someone who knows how, both as a player and a coach. Why choose an unknown? Willie would bring that winning mentality with him and he wouldn't keep anyone who wasn't on board.

I'm with you, plus he'd probably work cheap, which would be JR's main criteria,