PDA

View Full Version : 1983

southpaw40
07-11-2003, 07:54 AM
When things are this bad, I always try and remember something positive about the Sox from the past. I can remember driving home from work and hearing Howard Cosell talking about how boring the 1983 White Sox were. He was right, but then the trade which brought Julio Cruz to Comiskey was announced, and the teams character changed. Seems like they couldn't lose for the remainder of the season!
So, I got to thinking that maybe now would be a good time to compare this team to that 1983 team on a fairly regular (daily or weekly?) basis as far record and standing. But then I realized that I have no idea how to do that! Does anybody?

LuvSox
07-11-2003, 08:26 AM
But....Jerry Manuel is no Tony LaRussa.

gosox41
07-11-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by southpaw40
When things are this bad, I always try and remember something positive about the Sox from the past. I can remember driving home from work and hearing Howard Cosell talking about how boring the 1983 White Sox were. He was right, but then the trade which brought Julio Cruz to Comiskey was announced, and the teams character changed. Seems like they couldn't lose for the remainder of the season!
So, I got to thinking that maybe now would be a good time to compare this team to that 1983 team on a fairly regular (daily or weekly?) basis as far record and standing. But then I realized that I have no idea how to do that! Does anybody?

As fun as 1983 was, there's no logical way to make comparisons between the two teams. The only constant has been the owner, and that sucks. What the Sox record was in 1983 has no impact on today's team. Looking at 2001 and 2002 for comparisons is much better.

I'd hate to see Sox fans become like Bears fans. All they do is keep living of the Super Bowl year in 1983. It's all they got and it's more then the Sox have, but it's pretty pathetic.

Bob

southpaw40
07-11-2003, 09:15 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gosox41
What the Sox record was in 1983 has no impact on today's team.

You're right, but I'm not attempting to compare the abilities of the two teams, I'm just curious how the records compare at different stages of the season. Is there some way to get this information?

Hangar18
07-11-2003, 09:25 AM

You're right, but I'm not attempting to compare the abilities of the two teams, I'm just curious how the records compare at different stages of the season. Is there some way to get this information?

someone has done this already. At this point in 1983, the SOX were already well on their way on a TEAR ......this team fell back asleep, thanks to KOCH and JM's Lineup CHanges...

SoxxoS
07-11-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by LuvSox
But....Jerry Manuel is no Tony LaRussa.

If that isn't the understatement of the year...

I don't know what is.

TommyJohn
07-11-2003, 11:36 AM

Go to retrosheet.org. It has the day-by-day doings of
teams stretching back to 1885. You can look up 1983
and see where that Sox team was at this point. On July
11, they were 42-39, 2.5 games behind Texas.

I doubt very sincerely that this team has that kind of
ability. I say wait until next year. And the year after
that...etc.

southpaw40
07-11-2003, 12:21 PM
Thanks for that info. I intend to check it periodically and see how the records compare.
Again, thanks.

southpaw40
07-11-2003, 12:38 PM
just checked out the site....guess what? on July 11, 1983, the Sox whupped the Indians 9-2! I can feel it coming on,,,,this is the series which will propel us to a 20 game division win, just like back then! :)