PDA

View Full Version : Detroit the worst team?

kempsted
07-11-2003, 01:24 AM
OK we keep hearing it. The Tigers are the worst team in baseball... What I don't see anyone get is that it isn't that surprising that the White Sox struggle against the Tigers.

Why? The reason everyone says the Tigers are so terrible is they are one of the worst hitting teams in baseball. So they are not scoring a lot of runs. And guess what. They didn't against us either.

Check out their pitching. Although it isn't great it is better than about 1/2 the teams in the AL. They are 7th in ERA.

The White Sox have been shutting everyone down (almost) all year. SO we look great against a team like Toronto (well most of the games anyway) because they have great hitting but crappy pitching. Our pitching stops there hitting and our offensive offense beats on their bad pitching.

The problem is most of our local media people know nothing about baseball. This is why I can turn on ESPN1000 and then the Score and here two different people tell me that the manager makes no difference on scoring runs ... What?!? :?:

GASHWOUND
07-11-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by kempsted
OK we keep hearing it. The Tigers are the worst team in baseball... What I don't see anyone get is that it isn't that surprising that the White Sox struggle against the Tigers.

Why? The reason everyone says the Tigers are so terrible is they are one of the worst hitting teams in baseball. So they are not scoring a lot of runs. And guess what. They didn't against us either.

Check out their pitching. Although it isn't great it is better than about 1/2 the teams in the AL. They are 7th in ERA.

The White Sox have been shutting everyone down (almost) all year. SO we look great against a team like Toronto (well most of the games anyway) because they have great hitting but crappy pitching. Our pitching stops there hitting and our offensive offense beats on their bad pitching.

The problem is most of our local media people know nothing about baseball. This is why I can turn on ESPN1000 and then the Score and here two different people tell me that the manager makes no difference on scoring runs ... What?!? :?:

I'm not worried about our pitching...the reason we're 4 games under and 6 games back is cause our offense has been plain offensive..Bottom line...OH, and Botch hasn't helped :angry:

Anyway, what exactly is your point?? That the local media is saying that our suckiness has nothing to do with Manuel? or what :?:

kempsted
07-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Sorry, I mixed two different points in one post. The first is that everyone is acting so shocked that we can beat a Minnesota or Toronto and not beat a Detroit. This is not surprising when you realize our pitching is excellent. So we are able to shut down the high powered offenses at least half the time. If their pitching isn't top notch we can beat them. When the pitching staff for the opposing team is middle of the pack or better we struggle. Detroit is bad because of a bad offense - not bad pitching. So they are more likely to beat us than some "better" teams. Look at the ERA leader in th AL

Seattle (5 losses of 6 games)
Oakland (4 losses of 6 games)
New York (We havn't played yet)
Anaheim (We haven't played yet)
White Sox
Cleveland (6 losses in 10)
Detroit (6 of 12 loses)

Notice that these are the teams we have struggled most against this year. 21 of our 47 loses. Take out the interleage play and we have 39 loses to American league teams.

OK this is getting too complicated but as you can see - expect to struggle against Cleveland this weekend and expect the media to say ... wow they can't get up for these lowly teams...

kempsted
07-11-2003, 10:05 AM
Anyway, what exactly is your point?? That the local media is saying that our suckiness has nothing to do with Manuel? or what

Actually it is that so few people covering baseball really understand it so they say stupid things like that Managers don't matter for scoring runs and our teams problem is scoring runs. So Manuel is not our problem. I heard that on two different stations coming home last night and it is just not true.