PDA

View Full Version : Everybody Calm.....

chisox1388
07-10-2003, 11:17 PM
Right now, we're just in a bit of a slump. This 4-game series against Cleveland is crucial. We need to at least take 3 out of 4, which I think is doable. Twins are playing even worse than we are right now (hard to believe) and I still don't have faith in Kansas City. Sox will break out big this weekend, you watch. We only lost 1 game on KC and none on Minne after our terrible series with Detroit. We're still in it, guys. Right now, I'm still excited for our chances. This division sucks!! We are still the frontrunner even after losing 5 out of our last 6. It's only a couple of games. I just know we're gonna start kickin some ass soon, and then there will be no lookin back!! Who's with me??

GO SOX!!! I HAVEN'T LOST HOPE!!

FoulTerritory
07-10-2003, 11:37 PM
I am a broken man. I cannot follow in your path of redemption and hope. I do not beleive.

siugrad25
07-11-2003, 12:02 AM
I'm sort of with you, though your thread comes at a very dark point in the season. If it was a sweep to the A's, Mariners, Yankees, than maybe I wouldn't be so down, but words can't describe how bad this sweep was. Even people down this way were embarassed for the Sox.

And even though I haven't lost complete hope b/c of how bad our division is, we better sweep Cleveland to gain some sort of respect back, even though that won't be enough.

GASHWOUND
07-11-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by chisox1388
Right now, we're just in a bit of a slump. This 4-game series against Cleveland is crucial. We need to at least take 3 out of 4, which I think is doable. Twins are playing even worse than we are right now (hard to believe) and I still don't have faith in Kansas City. Sox will break out big this weekend, you watch. We only lost 1 game on KC and none on Minne after our terrible series with Detroit. We're still in it, guys. Right now, I'm still excited for our chances. This division sucks!! We are still the frontrunner even after losing 5 out of our last 6. It's only a couple of games. I just know we're gonna start kickin some ass soon, and then there will be no lookin back!! Who's with me??

How the heck can you stay calm after such a travesty, a shameful display against inferior talent...

And you excuse of the division sucks doesn't cut it...who cares..we still have to win and with the Twinks also sucking we could've moved into 2nd place..

What happed 5 of the last 6 games is despicable...disgusting...and we did this with our NEW WE"RE GOING FOR IT lineup...yeah... :angry:

I have no clue how Manuel is still able to have a job after this crap..I don't care if it's his fault or not...But our supposed "Leader" ain't getting the job done...

I would be upset if we did what we did against the likes of SEATTLE, OAK, NY, teams that are actually...GOOD
Not teams who the BeerBrauts softball team could pummel..

I was so excited for this team not more than a week ago and now my excitement and hope for this team has all but left me...

WHAT A DISGUSTING DISPLAY that was today...sheesh

ssang
07-11-2003, 07:40 AM
I would agree that we're still in this race. However, it's only becuase the rest of our division sucks too! Also, I cannot be optimistic when we get 3 runs and 4 extra base hits in 3 games against the GODDAMN TIGERS!!!! The way I look at it is that we should be 2 games out AT THE MOST after playing these teams. The Sox are out 5.5 and although they seemingly have a good shot to win this pathetic division, I wouldn't be too excited. As bad as Minn and KC are, it seems that we are worse. Playoffs? Playoffs? We can't even win a friggin' game!

Kilroy
07-11-2003, 07:57 AM
Who's with me??

I'm with ya, I just don't feel too good about tonight...

bobj4400
07-11-2003, 08:26 AM
I like the optimism on this thread, but look at our August schedule. We are screwed.

On the bright side, 80 wins might win our division.

chosk8
07-11-2003, 08:35 AM
I'm with ya, I just don't feel too good about tonight...

Danny Wright..............stopper.

Book it!

gosox41
07-11-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by chosk8
Danny Wright..............stopper.

Book it!

I hope he is the team's stopper. But keep in mind that are pitching has been great the last 3 game and they still got swept. Someone on the offense needs to show up and hit.

At the beginning of the season, I never thought the Sox offense was going to be their weakest point. I thought for sure they would average about 5 runs per game.

What is going on here is more then just a bunch of guys in a slump. Proven hitters don't slump for 90 games, especially when they're young.

Bob

lowesox
07-11-2003, 10:39 AM
I think the offense is still gelling. The entire chemistry must get shifted when you add two big players. Especially when both of those additions come right when the team has finally corrected itself.

I also think Robbie Alomar should be hitting second, where he'd probably be much more comfortable. I like the idea of trying Rowand leadoff.

harwar
07-11-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by FoulTerritory
I am a broken man. I cannot follow in your path of redemption and hope. I do not beleive.

amen to that brother..

Oh my soul,your voyages have been my native land..

The White Sox seem way off course and headed for the rocks.I fear this passage is coming to a bad end and we may have been shipwrecked before we even got aboard.

voodoochile
07-11-2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by lowesox
I think the offense is still gelling. The entire chemistry must get shifted when you add two big players. Especially when both of those additions come right when the team has finally corrected itself.

I also think Robbie Alomar should be hitting second, where he'd probably be much more comfortable. I like the idea of trying Rowand leadoff.

I'd rather have Valentin there. His average has been rising recently and he takes more walks than Rowand. I agree that Alomar would look good in the 2-hole, but Valentin needs to be at the top of the order. I don't know why Jerry keeps dropping him lower and lower in the order. He's a natural sparkplug.

B. Diddy
07-11-2003, 11:05 AM
If we were in any other division (besides maybe the NL Central), we'd be screwed right now. However, the two teams in front of us are just as bad. I'm pissed off, but still optimistic.

TheRockinMT
07-11-2003, 11:06 AM
A White Sox fan must by the very nature of White Sox baseball be an eternal optimist. We have been in a slump all season long, just not the last six games, so it is only reasonable to assume that a winning streak is just around the corner.

Iwritecode
07-11-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT
A White Sox fan must by the very nature of White Sox baseball be an eternal optimist. We have been in a slump all season long, just not the last six games, so it is only reasonable to assume that a winning streak is just around the corner.

Have they really been in a slump or were the couple of weeks vs. the Cubs, Twins, etc... a fluke and they are reverting back to normal?

Iwritecode
07-11-2003, 11:37 AM
We only lost 1 game on KC and none on Minne after our terrible series with Detroit.

Which means that these last two series were HUGE wasted oppurtunities. They should be at the very least in 2nd and only a game behind KC...

Paulwny
07-11-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I'd rather have Valentin there. His average has been rising recently and he takes more walks than Rowand. I agree that Alomar would look good in the 2-hole, but Valentin needs to be at the top of the order. I don't know why Jerry keeps dropping him lower and lower in the order. He's a natural sparkplug.

I think hes breaking apart the 2 automatic outs in Crede and Olivo so he decided to put Jose there.

voodoochile
07-11-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I think hes breaking apart the 2 automatic outs in Crede and Olivo so he decided to put Jose there.

Which (again) is a really lousy reason to have one of your best hitters hitting 8th. Valentin's OBP is currently 4th on the team (.335) the guys above him are all power hitters (Daubach, Frank and Maggs). Alomar is actually .003 lower than Valentin at present. Also, Jose's OPS is 3rd on the team.

Add in Jose's ability to steal bases and his general sparkplug ability and he is a natural for the top of the lineup. Lee has an OBP of .315 and he is currently hitting second (well for the last 2 games anyway).

Manuel is braindead...

LASOXFAN
07-11-2003, 12:56 PM
These guys don't care that they got swept, why should we? Jerry Manuel is a great guy and maybe even a good manager, but not on this team. The fact that his job is secure for the season should tell you everything you need to know about this organization's commitment to winning. The 9-3 record against the twins and flubs is deceiving: both of those teams were beginning to slide and the sox caught them at the right time. Even a blind dog finds a bone now and then. This team has no heart. Who's to blame? I have no idea.

FarmerAndy
07-11-2003, 12:58 PM
Everybody keeps talking about how we have a chance because the division is so bad. Do the math. For months this team has not been able to climb back up in a division that stinks, which means this team REALLY stinks.

If the Sox were even slightly above mediocre, they would be in 1st place. Face reality folks, this team is not a winner.

Please don't reduce yourselves to that Cub fan level of delusional thinking.

Hangar18
07-11-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
These guys don't care that they got swept, why should we? Jerry Manuel is a great guy and maybe even a good manager, but not on this team. The fact that his job is secure for the season should tell you everything you need to know about this organization's commitment to winning. The 9-3 record against the twins and flubs is deceiving: both of those teams were beginning to slide and the sox caught them at the right time. Even a blind dog finds a bone now and then. This team has no heart. Who's to blame? I have no idea.

HEY Lasoxfan, did you meet any of us when we were out in LA
last month ??

TornLabrum
07-11-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by TheRockinMT

Cubs fans are the eternal optimists, to the point of being delusional. Sox fans are closer to being bipolar, treating every victory as if it guarantees a trip to the World Series and every loss as if it will doom the club for decades to come. In the end, though, the pessimism always prevails.

Why we keep coming back is beyond me. Some have likened it to a genetic disease that we have no control over.

Lip Man 1
07-11-2003, 01:14 PM
The New York Mets hold the record for the fewest wins ever posted to get into the post season (83 - 1973).

For me personally I could actually see the Sox getting in with that amount (or God forbid) 82!

This sets up a personal dilemma for me. I'd love to see the Sox get in, but would have reservations about it. I mean the media would be raking the Sox over the coals for winning an awful division with that few wins despite all that talent.

Lip

Foulke You
07-11-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The New York Mets hold the record for the fewest wins ever posted to get into the post season (83 - 1973).

For me personally I could actually see the Sox getting in with that amount (or God forbid) 82!

This sets up a personal dilemma for me. I'd love to see the Sox get in, but would have reservations about it. I mean the media would be raking the Sox over the coals for winning an awful division with that few wins despite all that talent.

Lip

An interesting point Lip, but once you're in, you're in. The media would be forced to recognize the fact that we won the AL Central and are in the playoffs. Anything can happen in post season play as the Angels showed last year. Granted, they were a 95+ win club but in a short 5 game series with Loaiza, Colon, and Buehrle going (assuming the Sox got there) could produce an upset in round 1.

To me, as a Sox fan, I'm so post season starved that I wouldn't care how we got to the playoffs as long as we got there. The White Sox have had so few chances to advance to a World Series that ANY shot at it, I'll take!

JasonC23
07-11-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
The White Sox have had so few chances to advance to a World Series that ANY shot at it, I'll take!

And if I recall correctly, that 83-win '73 Mets team won the first round of the playoffs (the NL championship) and very nearly beat the mid-dynasty Oakland A's (lost in 7, I think). So, yep, all the Sox need to do is get there.

FarmerAndy
07-11-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by JasonC23
So, yep, all the Sox need to do is get there.

All that aside though, they have not shown that they are even good enough to get there. This is a bad division that could be taken, but we can't even get past bad teams.

gosox41
07-11-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
Have they really been in a slump or were the couple of weeks vs. the Cubs, Twins, etc... a fluke and they are reverting back to normal?

Based on recent history of this team, I think the 2 weeks against Minny and the Cub were an abberration. This team doesn't have the heart or intensity to turn it around.

Bob

gosox41
07-11-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by JasonC23
And if I recall correctly, that 83-win '73 Mets team won the first round of the playoffs (the NL championship) and very nearly beat the mid-dynasty Oakland A's (lost in 7, I think). So, yep, all the Sox need to do is get there.

We're really grasping at straws here, aren't we?

Bob

gosox41
07-11-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip

The thing is if the Sox did get in, I think they have the potential to go far in the playoffs. In a short series they'd have to face Buehle, Colon, and Loiaza. Of course if the team continues to hit like crap then they're not going to win 75 games.

Bob

JasonC23
07-11-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
We're really grasping at straws here, aren't we?

Bob

Yeah...so? :D: Straws are about all we have left... :whiner:

LASOXFAN
07-11-2003, 09:32 PM
I believe the sox will be swept out of Cleveland. Seriously I do. It will be a true test of the organization as to what they will do at that point; ignore it and go on with their wishful thinking, or try to shake things up in the clubhouse with a managerial change. I feel sorry for whoever might face the prospect of coaching this team. What a bad career move.

Harold Reynolds was right: blow it up. Now.

Nick@Nite
07-11-2003, 09:43 PM
As I type this, the Royals are stormtroopin' to an 13-3 over Texas.

I live in the pajama-blue-colored country called west-central Missouri.

Do you know what it's like getting cross-eyed looks from pot-bellied, recessive mutants in there 2-sizes to small '85 KC Royals WS Champs t-shirt's, as I walk by them wearing my Sox hat while in Wal-mart?

:angry:

Someone in the Sox organization, please pull the ejection handle on this situation!

brewcrew/chisox
07-11-2003, 09:52 PM
I just heard that if the Sox play 600 ball the rest of the way, they still won't get 90 wins, and in the weakest division in the American league

How's that for optimism

JJAustin69
07-11-2003, 10:20 PM
Do you remember at the end of "Animal House" when Kevin Bacon is standing in the middle of the riot saying "Remain calm!".
That is the image that I have imprinted on my brain right now.

StillMissOzzie
07-12-2003, 12:29 AM
Forget about playing.600 ball the rest of the season. The Sox need to reel off about 10 in a row to get back into the hunt, and THEN start playing .600 ball.

:gulp:

voodoochile
07-12-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
Forget about playing.600 ball the rest of the season. The Sox need to reel off about 10 in a row to get back into the hunt, and THEN start playing .600 ball.

:gulp:

Was that supposed to be in deeppink or teal?

ChiSoxBobette
07-12-2003, 10:13 AM

What you say is all fine & good and I still believe we will somehow win this division, but does JR thats what we have to worry about. Even if we lose the next three and K.C. wins the next three we will be only what 9 1/2 back with all the games we still have with the Royals & Twins we could still make a run, but remember the last time JR ordered the White Flag we were only 3 1/2 back. So thats what worries me, I will always believe we will win this , but JR's another story.

GO WHITE SOX!

brewcrew/chisox
07-12-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
Even if we lose the next three and K.C. wins the next three we will be only what 9 1/2 back with all the games we still have with the Royals & Twins we could still make a run

GO WHITE SOX!

No, if we lose the next three and K.C. wins, you can start looking at 2004. The Brewers are 9 1/2 back in their division right now. Do they still have a chance as well? Weak division, plenty of games left with Houston, St.Louis and the Cubs.