PDA

View Full Version : Our One Redeeming Grace

Viva Magglio
07-10-2003, 09:04 PM
Minnesota and Kansas City keep losing. In so doing, we aren't exactly dead despite the Detroit Debacle. However, we can also look at those games as missed opportunities. And if we wind up falling short by 3 or 4 games, you know where we can point.

Meanwhile...

:firejerry

gosox41
07-10-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!

Meanwhile...

I second that. Anyone else want to join the 'Official JM Needs to be Fired Club"???

Bob

oheeoh...magglio
07-10-2003, 10:41 PM
i'm in on that club!!

JJAustin69
07-10-2003, 10:58 PM
Count me in. :firejerry

hsnterprize
07-11-2003, 06:14 AM
Okay people...I just have one question. We you calling for Jerry's head when teh Sox took 4 out of 6 from the Cubs and 5 out of 6 from the Twins? I'll respect your consistency, but please don't jump on the "Fire Jerry" bandwagon just because of this debacle over these past 6 games. Would you be saying the same thing if the Sox won 5 out of these past 6 games?

I'm not trying to be the "eternal optimist" in this case. I agree with you that change should be made, but don't start crying in your beer just yet. Remember...back in the "Winning Ugly" year...our Sox didn't get to 1st place in the American League West Division until July 18th.

ChiSoxBobette
07-11-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
Okay people...I just have one question. We you calling for Jerry's head when teh Sox took 4 out of 6 from the Cubs and 5 out of 6 from the Twins? I'll respect your consistency, but please don't jump on the "Fire Jerry" bandwagon just because of this debacle over these past 6 games. Would you be saying the same thing if the Sox won 5 out of these past 6 games?

I'm not trying to be the "eternal optimist" in this case. I agree with you that change should be made, but don't start crying in your beer just yet. Remember...back in the "Winning Ugly" year...our Sox didn't get to 1st place in the American League West Division until July 18th.

No nobody was calling for his head but I'm tired of Sox fans saying that its not this guys fault or job to get his team motivated for big series like I think these were vs the Devil Rays, Tigers & coming up the Indians. Manuel has stumbled through the last 6 years as the Sox manager making the same stupid mistakes plus he's only had 2 winning years its not as if the guy has taken us to the playoffs every years he's been here , no other owner would have kept this guy this long - THIS TEAM AS THE PAST SOX TEAMS JUST DON'T RESPOND TO HIS TYPE OF MANAGING! And for him this year after we finally get ourselves back up to .500 to let this team fall on its face before the All-Star break is a joke. I said it at the end of last year that the Sox would'nt go anywhere if Manuel was still the manager this year.Whats with the guy always thinking he has to change line ups, I'd like to know if we've gone 5 or 6 games without changing the line up this year , how can any of these players get any kind of momentum going if one day they're in and the next they are'nt , Manuel should know who should be starting everyday by now. Yesterday vs. the Tigers why was Crede taken out in the 7th or 8th inning for Graffinino for what defense Crede's probaby our best defensive infielder so why. This will be another year of .500 or worse basebal for us and Manuel is never , at least the last few years;held accountable. If we lose 3 of 4 or get swept by the Indians that should be the end for this guy because this division is there for the taking and if we would have went into Tampa & Detroit winning 2 of 3 and then sweeping the Tigers we would have been in 1st place, but as is the case with Manuel his team falls flat and he has no clue as to why. Six Years People, Of The Same Rookie Manager Mistakes , The Guy Is Terrible.

hsnterprize
07-11-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by ChiSoxBob
No nobody was calling for his head but I'm tired of Sox fans saying that its not this guys fault or job to get his team motivated for big series like I think these were vs the Devil Rays, Tigers & coming up the Indians. Manuel has stumbled through the last 6 years as the Sox manager making the same stupid mistakes plus he's only had 2 winning years its not as if the guy has taken us to the playoffs every years he's been here , no other owner would have kept this guy this long - THIS TEAM AS THE PAST SOX TEAMS JUST DON'T RESPOND TO HIS TYPE OF MANAGING! And for him this year after we finally get ourselves back up to .500 to let this team fall on its face before the All-Star break is a joke. I said it at the end of last year that the Sox would'nt go anywhere if Manuel was still the manager this year.Whats with the guy always thinking he has to change line ups, I'd like to know if we've gone 5 or 6 games without changing the line up this year , how can any of these players get any kind of momentum going if one day they're in and the next they are'nt , Manuel should know who should be starting everyday by now. Yesterday vs. the Tigers why was Crede taken out in the 7th or 8th inning for Graffinino for what defense Crede's probaby our best defensive infielder so why. This will be another year of .500 or worse basebal for us and Manuel is never , at least the last few years;held accountable. If we lose 3 of 4 or get swept by the Indians that should be the end for this guy because this division is there for the taking and if we would have went into Tampa & Detroit winning 2 of 3 and then sweeping the Tigers we would have been in 1st place, but as is the case with Manuel his team falls flat and he has no clue as to why. Six Years People, Of The Same Rookie Manager Mistakes , The Guy Is Terrible. Okay...I can see your point. It's just strange that we fans were on such a high when the Sox won games against teams that mattered (i.e., Cubs and Twins), and I saw hardly anything calling for Jerry's head. Now that the Sox are down again, now the "Fire Jerry" crowd is up and running. I don't dispute that he's been tinkering around too much with the lineups, or making dumb mistakes with pitchers. I've seen him make plenty of dumb decisions that cost games. How many times have we seen him replace a pitcher that's been throwing well with another in a close game when we've had the lead, only for that new pitcher to blow it in the end? Now, while that pitcher who blew the lead is responsible for letting the runs score, Jerry is just as much responsible because he took out someone who was doing well. Now, I'm no strategist. I don't know all the intricate details about what's going on in his mind, nor about every baseball detail going on at that time. However, too many times we've seen Jerry fix something that wasn't broke. I can agree that change is necessary, but I don't want Jerry gone for the sake of firing Jerry. I want to see a team that will compete for at least the division championship...if not more.

gosox41
07-11-2003, 08:51 AM
[COLOR=red]Okay people...I just have one question. We you calling for Jerry's head when teh Sox took 4 out of 6 from the Cubs and 5 out of 6 from the Twins? I'll respect your consistency, but please don't jump on the "Fire Jerry" bandwagon just because of this debacle over these past 6 games. Would you be saying the same thing if the Sox won 5 out of these past 6 games?
COLOR]

I never jumped off the bandwagon. As I stated earlier, my biggest problem with JM is his lack of consistency in his decisions. In fact, during the Cubs/Sox series I even pointed this out when JM rested Frank against Clement because he went 0-4against him last season. That day I said it was dumb to rest the team's most productive hitter in a big series. The very next week at Comiskey, Clement was pitching again. Who was in the starting line up? Frank. Of course he should be there, but which is it JM? Do you not start your best hitter because of 4 at bats or do you?

This is just one example of his inconsistencies. I've pointed out a ton as the season has gone on. Mostly they have to do with his constant tinkering, but some with his micromanagment of the bullpen, and some to his inconsistent use of the starters. Remember how Colon lost that San Fran. game in the 9th, then in the next 2 starts JM wouldn't let his horse finish the game after pitching great for 7 or 8 innings.

So no I never jumped off the bad wagon. Look at some of my posts when the Sox were playing well or when the 2 trades were made. I had quite a few poking fun at KW and JM.

Bob

gosox41
07-11-2003, 08:55 AM
Okay...I can see your point. It's just strange that we fans were on such a high when the Sox won games against teams that mattered (i.e., Cubs and Twins), and I saw hardly anything calling for Jerry's head. Now that the Sox are down again, now the "Fire Jerry" crowd is up and running. I don't dispute that he's been tinkering around too much with the lineups, or making dumb mistakes with pitchers. I've seen him make plenty of dumb decisions that cost games. How many times have we seen him replace a pitcher that's been throwing well with another in a close game when we've had the lead, only for that new pitcher to blow it in the end? Now, while that pitcher who blew the lead is responsible for letting the runs score, Jerry is just as much responsible because he took out someone who was doing well. Now, I'm no strategist. I don't know all the intricate details about what's going on in his mind, nor about every baseball detail going on at that time. However, too many times we've seen Jerry fix something that wasn't broke. I can agree that change is necessary, but I don't want Jerry gone for the sake of firing Jerry. I want to see a team that will compete for at least the division championship...if not more.

This is JM's sixth year here. Look at the history of his teams. Whether the team is rebuilding or going for it, he has a history of mediocrity. One good half in 2000 is all he had. The rest of the time this team has been below .500. I want a playoff run to. But it should become painfully obvious to the rest of the jM supporters that he is not the answer to make it happen. This is the third year in a row (and most disappointing) that he team has underacheived. 2001 had concerns about all those torn labrums and the team still had high hopes and lost. 2002 everyone was healthy and some (NOT me) thought Ritchie was a good addition and the team sucked even worse. 2003, the hopes are even higher. The pitching has been superb and we're 4 games under .500.

See a trend?

Bob

DC Sox Fan
07-11-2003, 09:03 AM
I seriously had a vivid dream last night that I was watching SC and they broke in to say that Tinkerbell had been fired. I woke up with a huge smile on my face until I realized it wasn't a dream after all :(

SoxxoS
07-11-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by DC Sox Fan
I seriously had a vivid dream last night that I was watching SC and they broke in to say that Tinkerbell had been fired. I woke up with a huge smile on my face until I realized it wasn't a dream after all :(

You had a dream and went through a nightmare. :smile: