PDA

View Full Version : They do it to us every time

JasonC23
07-10-2003, 04:40 PM
Right before the first Sox/Cubs series this year, I asked my wife to do me a favor. Every time I started to get really upset about a Sox loss, or start a rant about our idiot GM or manager, or point out how the paper was totally biased toward the Cubs, I asked her to tell me to calm down and not get too worked up, because the 2003 White Sox aren't worth it. This was my vow...to watch the games, cheer on the team, read this message board, but to NOT get emotionally caught up in the team, because they repeatedly proved they weren't worth it.

Then the first Sox/Cubs series came...and I started to care again. Really care. Get back into the "maybe this is our year" caring. Then the Twins series. Then the next Sox/Cubs series. Then the Twins again. Finally, the trades (even though I didn't think, and obviously still don't, they were as great as they were cracked up to be).

Man, was I excited! I cared a lot!

Well, no more. I'm giving my wife the same instructions and I'm not letting her let me off the hook this time. I am still a fan, still will watch every game I can, still will go to the games I have tickets for...

...but I'm not going to get emotionally wrapped up in the 2003 White Sox, because they're just not worth it.

(I'll get emotional again during the off-season when we all join together to DEMAND that JM and KW are rightly and justly fired.) :smile:

hold2dibber
07-10-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by JasonC23
Right before the first Sox/Cubs series this year, I asked my wife to do me a favor. Every time I started to get really upset about a Sox loss, or start a rant about our idiot GM or manager, or point out how the paper was totally biased toward the Cubs, I asked her to tell me to calm down and not get too worked up, because the 2003 White Sox aren't worth it. This was my vow...to watch the games, cheer on the team, read this message board, but to NOT get emotionally caught up in the team, because they repeatedly proved they weren't worth it.

Then the first Sox/Cubs series came...and I started to care again. Really care. Get back into the "maybe this is our year" caring. Then the Twins series. Then the next Sox/Cubs series. Then the Twins again. Finally, the trades (even though I didn't think, and obviously still don't, they were as great as they were cracked up to be).

Man, was I excited! I cared a lot!

Well, no more. I'm giving my wife the same instructions and I'm not letting her let me off the hook this time. I am still a fan, still will watch every game I can, still will go to the games I have tickets for...

...but I'm not going to get emotionally wrapped up in the 2003 White Sox, because they're just not worth it.

(I'll get emotional again during the off-season when we all join together to DEMAND that JM and KW are rightly and justly fired.) :smile:

I've tried to kick this cursed White Sox habit of mine, too, but it ain't easy. I completely agree with your thinking, but it's easier said than done, I'm afraid.