PDA

View Full Version : One Brief, Shining Moment

Mammoo
07-10-2003, 03:51 PM
Well, Sox fans, your heroes owned the city for about a week and that’s a dammed sight longer than they have in some time. The Sox beat the Cubs two out of three, General Manager Ken Williams pulled off a couple of stunning trades, acquiring Robbie Alomar and Carl Everett, then the team finishes up a dramatic sweep of division rival Minnesota. The White Sox, it appeared, had wrested control of local sports fans away from the Cubs. Enter the Tampa Bay Devil Rays and Detroit Tigers.

After a well earned day off, the Sox went down to Tampa and were promptly beaten by the sad sack Devil Rays courtesy of a ninth inning walk off homer allowed by late inning snoozer Billy Koch. Between Koch and Antonio Alfonseca on the North Side, Chicago’s baseball fans have been subjected to a season’s worth of chagrin. Yet, the managers keep trotting these goofs out to the bump. Hopefully, Jerry Manuel has seen enough.

"You probably have to try to get better match-ups for him; maybe a little earlier in the game,” said Manuel of Koch. "Our situation is such that whoever we think fits that night will be in. There will be times when Koch will fit that particular bill."

The thought of losing his closer gig doesn’t sit well with Koch, but he has struggled all year, making the Keith Foulke trade appear to be another pitching rip-off.

"I think that's extreme," Koch said. "I know how to get the job done, and I will get the job done. Eventually it's Jerry's call. Whatever he wants to do, that's his prerogative. As far as I'm concerned, I want to be in that role and I want to keep doing the job."

Pale Hose bats have gone into a funk again, as they’ve struggled to score runs on this current trip. Two or three runs per game on the road spells disaster for any team considered a contender. Tuesday night’s 2-1 loss to the toothless Detroit Tigers is a case in point as these modern day hitless wonders produced one extra base hit against an array of no-names.

“It still looks like some of the guys are swinging at balls out of the zone," said Jerry Manuel. "The more you do that, the more confident the pitcher gets."

Too bad, the Sox were building mega-momentum but they’ve regained that look of a beaten team and allowed the city’s fascination to return to thoughts of the Cubs and the opening of NFL training camps.

Hangar18
07-10-2003, 05:01 PM
It was good for a BRIEF MOMENT. I saw more Sox Fans out and about in the city, the last couple of weeks, than Ive seen since the 1994 Season. People
were starting to BELIEVE, people were coming out, people
were talking, people were cheering. Then Manuel, and this team just Frittered it all away....