PDA

View Full Version : Levine asked Konerko...

SoxxoS
07-10-2003, 11:22 AM
He would accept a minor league assignment-

Konerko said flat out- "No."

Which leads me to believe that there is something really wrong, unless he is just that selfish.

I really lost a lot of respect for Konerko with that statement.

voodoochile
07-10-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Which leads me to believe that there is something really wrong, unless he is just that selfish.

So, it turns out our "Team Leader" is really just a bigheaded selfish jackass with a big mouth...

joecrede
07-10-2003, 11:32 AM
I don't blame Konerko for not going down. What happens if he doesn't hit at Charlotte either?

voodoochile
07-10-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
I don't blame Konerko for not going down. What happens if he doesn't hit at Charlotte either?

Then he collects his $20M and becomes a car salesman or whatever.

Paulwny
07-10-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
So, it turns out our "Team Leader" is really just a bigheaded selfish jackass with a big mouth...

Since he should be riding the bench until the sox are mathematically eliminated we'll have the most expensive cheerleader in all spots combined.

LuvSox
07-10-2003, 11:35 AM

Selfesh, untradable. He's got all the makings of a big league star! (Except the talent part.)

B. Diddy
07-10-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by joecrede

He collects the remaining $12 million or so on his contract. If he's bored down there, he can spend his nights cruising around in his Bentley, drinking champagne off of strippers. Rough life.

I'm sick of this guy. He hasn't been able to hit the broad side of a barn since last July and now he won't do the right thing for his team. What a selfish little punk...

dickallen15
07-10-2003, 02:34 PM
Even if Konerko went to Charlotte, who are they going to bring up who would hit. Remember Harris was hitting over .400 when he came up. Gload can't hit major league pitching, probably no one in Charlotte can.

Paulwny
07-10-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Even if Konerko went to Charlotte, who are they going to bring up who would hit. Remember Harris was hitting over .400 when he came up. Gload can't hit major league pitching, probably no one in Charlotte can.

Who cares who they bring up. Until PK fixes his mechanics he is usless to this team. It may 2-3 weeks but its better then sitting on the bench.

Nellie_Fox
07-10-2003, 02:40 PM
Even if Konerko went to Charlotte, who are they going to bring up who would hit. Remember Harris was hitting over .400 when he came up. Gload can't hit major league pitching, probably no one in Charlotte can. That's not the point. The point is that he needs to go work on getting his hitting stroke back somewhere where it's not killing the Sox.

ode to veeck
07-10-2003, 02:41 PM

point is to send Paulie down where he can get time and ABs to get his groove on without dragging the Sox down (to be swept by the likes of the kittens)

KingXerxes
07-10-2003, 02:49 PM
Does anyone else but me think that maybe Paul Konerko was taking Vitamin "S" until the poop hit the fan last with Canseco's and Caminiti's revalations about the number of guys in the majors who were on the juice?

The reason I say this is because when that story broke, ESPN happened to be in Comiskey Park to cover the Yankees/White Sox series, and when Andrea Kramer shove a microphone in Konerko's face she asked,

"What do you think of Ken Caminiti's assertion that about half of the major league's takes steroids?"

Konerko's response was, "Do you think it's that high?" (Please note that he didn't even attempt to answer her question).

Way to go Paul. Good answer. By the way, exactly how did you start hitting so well as soon as you got to the White Sox?

I remind all that steroid use doesn't only manifest itself in mammoth home runs, it also allows you to hit the ball harder through the infield, or add that extra 10 feet to what otherwise would be a fly out. I have heard nothing about this guy being hurt, but since the All-Star break last year, he has just sucked.

Kilroy
07-10-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Way to go Paul. Good answer. By the way, exactly how did you start hitting so well as soon as you got to the White Sox?

Which steroid do you take that makes you have better hand/eye coordination?

cheeses_h_rice
07-10-2003, 03:11 PM
Does anyone else but me think that maybe Paul Konerko was taking Vitamin "S" until the poop hit the fan last with Canseco's and Caminiti's revalations about the number of guys in the majors who were on the juice?

The reason I say this is because when that story broke, ESPN happened to be in Comiskey Park to cover the Yankees/White Sox series, and when Andrea Kramer shove a microphone in Konerko's face she asked,

"What do you think of Ken Caminiti's assertion that about half of the major league's takes steroids?"

Konerko's response was, "Do you think it's that high?" (Please note that he didn't even attempt to answer her question).

I remind all that steroid use doesn't only manifest itself in mammoth home runs, it also allows you to hit the ball harder through the infield, or add that extra 10 feet to what otherwise would be a fly out. I have heard nothing about this guy being hurt, but since the All-Star break last year, he has just sucked.

I think you're off-base, Xerx. Konerko's body type/shape/mass hasn't changed one iota, unlike a certain North Sider who shows up to camp 20 pounds lighter than last year.

His stroke is just way, way off, and it's now burrowed into his skull that he's flopping, which makes him choke all the more.

KingXerxes
07-10-2003, 03:12 PM
He has the God-given hand to eye coordination. He simply needed to pump up the strength a little bit. If he were striking out time and time again, I think you'd have a good argument (keep in mind that he always did strike out a lot). But this guy is simply making outs. He it everything weakly - or at least weaker than the first half last year.

spanishwhite
07-10-2003, 03:12 PM

He cant do any worse than .180.

Hitting 350 with 30 doubles in the minors means he is a
linedrive hitter.

He might be able to do something. Borchard has shown ssssllllooooowww improvement.

KingXerxes
07-10-2003, 03:15 PM
Cheese, there is no doubt that Sosa's hat size is about two sizes smaller than last year. He clearly was taking something. It is possible that a lot of guys took steroids - but not in the quantity that Corky took them.

Too many guys have come from nowhere in the past few years for me to not suspect steroids. Not all of them are going to bulk up ala McGwire, Sosa, Canseco - but just because they don't look like The Incredible Hulk doesn't mean they weren't getting some "help".

voodoochile
07-10-2003, 04:06 PM
Cheese, there is no doubt that Sosa's hat size is about two sizes smaller than last year. He clearly was taking something. It is possible that a lot of guys took steroids - but not in the quantity that Corky took them.

Too many guys have come from nowhere in the past few years for me to not suspect steroids. Not all of them are going to bulk up ala McGwire, Sosa, Canseco - but just because they don't look like The Incredible Hulk doesn't mean they weren't getting some "help".

I offered this same explanation a month or so back. It also ties into the "degenerative hip condition" rumors. Steroids are a common treatment for those type of problems. Maybe he was taking them to overcome the problems caused by the hip and it ended up making him a better player.

xil357
07-10-2003, 04:51 PM
I offered this same explanation a month or so back. It also ties into the "degenerative hip condition" rumors. Steroids are a common treatment for those type of problems. Maybe he was taking them to overcome the problems caused by the hip and it ended up making him a better player.

I am not accusing anyone of anything, but as a person who occasionally has to take steroids (prednisone) for a medical condition, I have been warned flat out by doctors never to take them for more than five days if I plan to stop immediately. If you take them for more than five days, you have to gradually step them down. If you don't, you run the risk of having your hip bone degenerate to the point that you need a hip replacement. Someone I know had to have both hips replaced because he took cortico-steriods for a longer period of time and just stopped.

One time, I accidentally took them for seven or eight days and then stopped. WHOOPS. The next morning, I felt as though I had just finished playing a NFL game and was tackled repeatedly by 350-pound defensive lineman, and then went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. I felt beat up, knocked down and pummelled. I struggled to walk. This lasted for several more days. My doc told me to NEVER do that again.

Again, I am not pointing fingers , but taking and then suddenly stopping a steroid regimen is exceedingly dangerous. Stopping and starting steroids could be the cause of a degenerative hip condition, as well. Just my 2 cents.

dickallen15
07-10-2003, 04:53 PM
He has the God-given hand to eye coordination. He simply needed to pump up the strength a little bit. If he were striking out time and time again, I think you'd have a good argument (keep in mind that he always did strike out a lot). But this guy is simply making outs. He it everything weakly - or at least weaker than the first half last year.

His strikeout rate is the lowest of his career this year. His hip is bothering him

voodoochile
07-10-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by xil357
I am not accusing anyone of anything, but as a person who occasionally has to take steroids (prednisone) for a medical condition, I have been warned flat out by doctors never to take them for more than five days if I plan to stop immediately. If you take them for more than five days, you have to gradually step them down. If you don't, you run the risk of having your hip bone degenerate to the point that you need a hip replacement. Someone I know had to have both hips replaced because he took cortico-steriods for a longer period of time and just stopped.

One time, I accidentally took them for seven or eight days and then stopped. WHOOPS. The next morning, I felt as though I had just finished playing a NFL game and was tackled repeatedly by 350-pound defensive lineman, and then went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson. I felt beat up, knocked down and pummelled. I struggled to walk. This lasted for several more days. My doc told me to NEVER do that again.

Again, I am not pointing fingers , but taking and then suddenly stopping a steroid regimen is exceedingly dangerous. Stopping and starting steroids could be the cause of a degenerative hip condition, as well. Just my 2 cents.

My understanding is that the sudden stopping stuff has been discredited with solid science. I took a strong steroid for 2 weeks after the hearing loss, and the doctor said there was no problem stopping cold turkey. My sister who is a research doctor, agreed. That steroid was a prednizone, though I forget which one. I think Methyl-prednizone.

Just wanted to pass that along, but interesting that the steroid useage and stopping is actually tied to degenerative hip conditions according to your doctor. I just remember that when my dog started to struggle with his hips they gave him steroids and I know several other dog owners who have had to do the same thing.

gosox41
07-10-2003, 09:56 PM

Konerko selfish??? He also lacks heart and has no pride. And no taht shouldn't be in teal.

I refuse to believe Konekro is in hurt until I see some evidence.

Bob

Jjav829
07-10-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Konerko selfish??? He also lacks heart and has no pride. And no taht shouldn't be in teal.

Bob

Are you kidding me? Call him bad, useless, overpaid, etc. but I don't see how anyone who has watched Paul Konerko can question Konerko's heart or pride. There is no one harder on Paul Konerko than Paul Konerko.

gosox41
07-10-2003, 10:02 PM
His strikeout rate is the lowest of his career this year. His hip is bothering him

I need proof. Limp a little. Better yet go on the DL.

:walnuts
My hip isn't the problem. I said before I am 100% healthy. Maybe I should be called "The Tin Man" since I seem to be lacking heart.

Bob

chosk8
07-11-2003, 08:55 AM

Thank you, Bob.

Until there is evidence, these are all just rumors.

dickallen15
07-11-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by chosk8
Thank you, Bob.

Until there is evidence, these are all just rumors.

.183 batting average 4 homers, thats pretty good evidence. He's making contact, he strikeout rate is the lowest of his career.

gosox41
07-11-2003, 09:10 AM
.183 batting average 4 homers, thats pretty good evidence. He's making contact, he strikeout rate is the lowest of his career.

That could also be evidence that he could care less about baseball now that he's got a big contract.

I ned real proof. The numbers tell what is happening, they don't tell why. I can think of a ton more reasons why he isn't hitting, but like his alleged hip injury it's all speculation.

Bob

chosk8
07-11-2003, 09:22 AM

Pat Burrell, Mo Vaughn and Jermaine Dye all must have hip problems according to your theory. Good hitters who are suddenly sub-.200 have hip problems.
I'll take your post for what it's worth, nothing. I'll need more evidence than that doctor.

chosk8
07-11-2003, 09:36 AM
Another thing, Konerko hit over .400 in the Spring. This hip condition didn't just turn itself on once the regular season started.

dickallen15
07-11-2003, 09:39 AM
Pat Burrell, Mo Vaughn and Jermaine Dye all must have hip problems according to your theory. Good hitters who are suddenly sub-.200 have hip problems.
I'll take your post for what it's worth, nothing. I'll need more evidence than that doctor.

Those players don't have known hip conditions, like Konerko.Burrell might be someone to use for your argument, but to sarcastically use those other two is ridiculous. They are hurt. Dye has never been the same since he fouled a pitch off his leg and broke it, Vaughn is way overweight and 100 years old and may need knee replacement surgery, . You can say Konerko's head is screwed up and it probably is, but he is making MORE contact than ever before and its not going anywhere. Even his dramatic homerun against the Twins was in the first row. Steff, who has inside information, posted that he has had shots in his hip. All I'm saying is Konerko is hurt.

chosk8
07-11-2003, 10:50 AM
Dickallen15, nothing personal, I hope you know that. I'm fairly new here and the last thing I want to do is create waves. At work, when you don't have your buddies around, this message board is a nice outlet to talk with other Sox fans. I was just trying to give you some examples of a few hitters who have hit well in years past and are now struggling. I truly believe there is nothing wrong with Konerko's hip and that he is just in the midst of the biggest slump I have ever witnessed. I have seen too many hard hit ball by this guy that are right at somebody to think otherwise. The first game against Detroit he hit a blast to dead center and the Cfer caught it just before the warning track. That ball is gone in most other ballparks, but Detroit is 420' to dead center. A lot of bad luck. Like I said before, Paul hit over .400 in the Spring, this condition cannot turn itself on and off. As for these 'insiders', that is one thing I don't like about these message boards. The people who think they are a bigger and better fan because they are a season ticket holder or they get put on the radio faster because I told them who I was. Economics plays a big part in who goes to these games, and just because you (not you in general) may not go to the games doesn't mean you are not as big a fan as the next guy\gal or don't know as much as the next guy\gal.

dickallen15
07-11-2003, 11:28 AM
Dickallen15, nothing personal, I hope you know that. I'm fairly new here and the last thing I want to do is create waves. At work, when you don't have your buddies around, this message board is a nice outlet to talk with other Sox fans. I was just trying to give you some examples of a few hitters who have hit well in years past and are now struggling. I truly believe there is nothing wrong with Konerko's hip and that he is just in the midst of the biggest slump I have ever witnessed. I have seen too many hard hit ball by this guy that are right at somebody to think otherwise. The first game against Detroit he hit a blast to dead center and the Cfer caught it just before the warning track. That ball is gone in most other ballparks, but Detroit is 420' to dead center. A lot of bad luck. Like I said before, Paul hit over .400 in the Spring, this condition cannot turn itself on and off. As for these 'insiders', that is one thing I don't like about these message boards. The people who think they are a bigger and better fan because they are a season ticket holder or they get put on the radio faster because I told them who I was. Economics plays a big part in who goes to these games, and just because you (not you in general) may not go to the games doesn't mean you are not as big a fan as the next guy\gal or don't know as much as the next guy\gal.

I don't know her personally, but Steff does get inside information and knows a few players and their wives. I agree that you don't have to go to games to be a big fan, you could be the biggest fan in the world and not go to any games. Her information has been pretty reliable and Paulie has been brutal. I hope its wrong, I hope he isn't hurt, but 2 of the 3 guys you mentioned are hurt, and it seems apparent to me PK is as well.

chosk8
07-11-2003, 11:49 AM
Here's 2 other names then, Adam Dunn and our own Frank Thomas. Hell even throw Robbie Alomar in there. Dunn may still be too young and the jury may still be out on him, but I'm sure if you asked anybody, not may would have expected him to hit .210 so far this year. I don't know Steff either and actually didn't mention her name in my earlier post. There are plenty here who claim to have 'inside' information. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but they shouldn't act like they are on some pedestal. I love a good rumor as much as the next guy, but without fact they are simply that, rumors.

SoxxoS
07-11-2003, 12:09 PM
Here's 2 other names then, Adam Dunn and our own Frank Thomas. Hell even throw Robbie Alomar in there. Dunn may still be too young and the jury may still be out on him, but I'm sure if you asked anybody, not may would have expected him to hit .210 so far this year. I don't know Steff either and actually didn't mention her name in my earlier post. There are plenty here who claim to have 'inside' information. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but they shouldn't act like they are on some pedestal. I love a good rumor as much as the next guy, but without fact they are simply that, rumors.

Adam Dunn is probably not the greatest example, because I believe he is leading the majors in homers. Konerko has 4.

harwar
07-11-2003, 12:18 PM
If Konerko does have a serious problem with his hip,then i could see why he would deny it.That kind of major surgery would be a deathblow to his career,and he could end up like albert bell.

SoxxoS
07-11-2003, 12:21 PM
Does anyone know exaactly how much is left on Konerko's contract?

kempsted
07-11-2003, 12:27 PM
SoxxoS Does anyone know exaactly how much is left on Konerko's contract?
He JUST resigned this last offseason. Anyone remember for how long?

chosk8
07-11-2003, 12:27 PM
Adam Dunn is probably not the greatest example, because I believe he is leading the majors in homers. Konerko has 4.
Good point, I guess I was looking at average more than anything. If Konerko had 22 home runs, this thread wouldn't even exist. At least Dunn is doing 'something'.

voodoochile
07-11-2003, 12:50 PM

Alomar is 37 and on the downside of his career. Frank (though his numbers are down a bit) still has an OPS in the vicinity of 1.0. He (also) is "past his prime". Konerko should be in his prime production years right now.

soxfan45
07-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Its true that Konerko has had some bad luck for the number of times he sees an atbat. His problems will undoubtedly be exaggerated as his role as a pinch hitter is a pretty tough one to get any consistancy at the plate.

Frankly, at this point, unless the Sox really implode, and we have a fire sale, he's not going to see many at bats for the balance of the year and it will become very difficult for him to work his way into the starting lineup. With the aquisitions of Alomar and Everett, Paul is really the odd man out. We need another right handed bat like we need a hole in the head.

I just think that the only chanced he has of inserting himself back into the lineup is to go down to Charlotte hit over .300 and when one of these guys gets into another slump, call up Pauly.

I mean at this point Graffy is a much more realiable pinch hitter (right hander) and certainly can play many more positions than Konerko.

chosk8
07-11-2003, 01:11 PM
Alomar is 37 and on the downside of his career. Frank (though his numbers are down a bit) still has an OPS in the vicinity of 1.0. He (also) is "past his prime". Konerko should be in his prime production years right now.

Sorry again. I was referring more to Frank and Alomar from a couple of years ago. Granted, Frank got hurt, but but his numbers from 2000 compared to 2001-2002 are quit different. Alomar dipped from .336 to .266 in one year. Tejada from this year compared to last year. Sometimes guys just slump. Giambi for a good part of the first half was around .210 and worked his way out of it. But the Sox don't have the luxury of letting a slumping guy work his way out of it like the Yankees do.

voodoochile
07-11-2003, 01:17 PM
Sorry again. I was referring more to Frank and Alomar from a couple of years ago. Granted, Frank got hurt, but but his numbers from 2000 compared to 2001-2002 are quit different. Alomar dipped from .336 to .266 in one year. Tejada from this year compared to last year. Sometimes guys just slump. Giambi for a good part of the first half was around .210 and worked his way out of it. But the Sox don't have the luxury of letting a slumping guy work his way out of it like the Yankees do.

I don't know Alomar's stats, but wasn't Frank injured for most of 2001 and recovering in 2002? Again, this is hardly a great example.

dickallen15
07-11-2003, 01:25 PM
Also, Alomar has a hip flexor problem. It has been speculated that is the reason for his drop off batting right handed.

chosk8
07-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Yes, Frank was injured in 2001. He played 20 games and was hitting a crisp .221 before the injury. .252 in 2002. This coming after a 2000 season in which he hit .328 with 43 HR's. In 1999, he hit .305 with 15 HR's. Quite a drop-off in HR's there. The fact is, he was off to a very slow start in 2001 and then got injured.

voodoochile
07-11-2003, 01:50 PM
Yes, Frank was injured in 2001. He played 20 games and was hitting a crisp .221 before the injury. .252 in 2002. This coming after a 2000 season in which he hit .328 with 43 HR's. In 1999, he hit .305 with 15 HR's. Quite a drop-off in HR's there. The fact is, he was off to a very slow start in 2001 and then got injured.

There's that key word again, injury. How many games did Frank actually appear in in 2001? 2002 was a recovery year. The injury he sustained takes 2 years to fully heal.

You also are ignoring the age differences. It isn't unusual for players stats to decline once they are past 33 or so.

I have no idea if Paulie is injured or not. Lots of rumors about it from lots of "inside sources". I agree that it would be nice to see more definitive proof, but it isn't forth coming. Maybe it is just a prolonged slump. Anything is possible, but until Paulie starts hitting again, the answers are elusive...

chosk8
07-11-2003, 02:19 PM
I refused to be fooled into believing that each time a player who has hit well in his career and then suddenly tanks is because of an injury. I have played the game at a pretty high level and have seen guys go through slumps with no injuries whatsoever. It's part of baseball. It is a game of failures. A Hall of Fame career is the difference between getting 3 hits in every 10 Abs and 2 hits in every 10 Abs. I understand the age difference between Frank and Paul, that is why I gave the names of Giambi and Tejada. That said though, the Yankess have the luxury of having a stud line-up and good pitching where a player can work himself out of the funk. The way things have gone for the Sox this year, they don't have that same luxury. Pinch hitting and spot starts is not the remedy for getting out of a slump.

dickallen15
07-11-2003, 02:33 PM
I refused to be fooled into believing that each time a player who has hit well in his career and then suddenly tanks is because of an injury. I have played the game at a pretty high level and have seen guys go through slumps with no injuries whatsoever. It's part of baseball. It is a game of failures. A Hall of Fame career is the difference between getting 3 hits in every 10 Abs and 2 hits in every 10 Abs. I understand the age difference between Frank and Paul, that is why I gave the names of Giambi and Tejada. That said though, the Yankess have the luxury of having a stud line-up and good pitching where a player can work himself out of the funk. The way things have gone for the Sox this year, they don't have that same luxury. Pinch hitting and spot starts is not the remedy for getting out of a slump.

Giambi had an eye infection earlier this year, which may explain his slump. Tejada's numbers aren't that far off what they were last year except for average. Almost all your examples of players who have slipped, with the exception of Burrell, can be traced to aging and injuries. No one has fallen as dramatically as Konerko. I would like one example of someone 27 years old, that has fallen as far as he has.He does waddle around. He always has. It is known he has some sort of hip condition. Chances are it has gotten worse.

chosk8
07-11-2003, 04:20 PM
Rick Ankiel

dickallen15
07-11-2003, 04:23 PM
That's a good comparison, he definitely fell off the face of the earth, but he is a pitcher, and he didn't have the sustained success Konerko has had in the major leagues. Konerko was pretty consistant and slightly improved every season until now.

gosox41
07-11-2003, 04:27 PM
Does anyone know exaactly how much is left on Konerko's contract?

He has 2 more years after this year and is owed a total of $18 mill. (not including this season.)

Assuming Konerko is hurt, then you have to wonder if his contract is insured against injury. Of course the Phillies couldn't insure Thome's back because it's a pre-existing condition. If PK had a hip issue then that may not be insured either.

Of course that's assuming he's hurt. The Sox should at least put him on the DL so he can stop embarassing himself. Evidently he can't play with this alleged injury so DL him. He's killing the Sox offense.

Bob

chosk8
07-11-2003, 04:27 PM
Richard Hidalgo

dickallen15
07-11-2003, 05:18 PM
He's dropped off, but not to .183 with 4 homers. At last years Homerun Derby, Joe Morgan thought Paulie had a shot at the triple crown. He's come back some the last 2 years. Besides he didn't have 4 consecutive good years like Paul.

SoxxoS
07-11-2003, 06:55 PM
Richard Hidalgo

He didn't tail off anywhere near like Konerko did. Plus, he got shot.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-11-2003, 07:26 PM
Frankly, now that it is July 11, it doesn't much matter if Konerko is healthy or Konerko needs major hip surgery. I could care less.

Here is what I know. Paul Konerko is a selfish sonofabitch. He is killing this team and he REFUSES to go to AAA to at least attempt to work out his obvious problems.

Why even debate it anymore?

RKMeibalane
07-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Frankly, now that it is July 11, it doesn't much matter if Konerko is healthy or Konerko needs major hip surgery. I could care less.

Here is what I know. Paul Konerko is a selfish sonofabitch. He is killing this team and he REFUSES to go to AAA to at least attempt to work out his obvious problems.

Why even debate it anymore?

Agreed. Konerko is killing this team with his lack of offensive production. Never in my life have I seen someone struggle as much as he has. Whatever the problem is, it is in his best interests to go to Charlotte and try to get his swing back together.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-11-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Agreed. Konerko is killing this team with his lack of offensive production. Never in my life have I seen someone struggle as much as he has. Whatever the problem is, it is in his best interests to go to Charlotte and try to get his swing back together.

Joe_Crede hit it on the head. The selfish sonofabitch won't go to AAA because he's afraid he won't hit there either. Once he leaves Chicago, he might never get back.

Well, he can always wait for his million-dollar checks to arrive while sitting on his sofa. At least he can't lose ballgames from there.

I'm SICK of feeling sorry for Paul Konerko. Start feeling sorry for the White Sox and the poor losers who can't help but support the team and give a **** whether they win or lose.

RKMeibalane
07-11-2003, 07:46 PM
Joe_Crede hit it on the head. The selfish sonofabitch won't go to AAA because he's afraid he won't hit there either. Once he leaves Chicago, he might never get back.

If I'm Paul Konerko, this is how I look at it:

If I go to Charlotte and don't hit, then I know that I'm done, and I can spend the next several years collecting paychecks, eating nachos, and watching Seinfeld re-runs.

If I to AAA and rediscover my stroke, then I'll be back and I can help the Sox during the second half. The team was on the verge of overtaking KC and Minnesota before this recent tailspin. My bat would make a difference in the lineup, provided Manuel doesn't tinker too much.

chosk8
07-11-2003, 08:29 PM
Iím sorry I canít find anybody that has dipped from .304 to .185. There are plenty of guys that have dropped their averages, but none to the extreme that Konerko has. Iíll agree to disagree on the injury issue as I refuse to believe it is as severe as people claim. In todayís world, something would have leaked to the media by now. That said, I will agree that Konerko is very selfish for not being willing to take a few weeks down in the minors. At this point, there is no way he can get the swings he needs here to get him out of this funk. Iíll leave it at that as I have gotten the Warden, a Church Elder and the Webmaster-CEO all involved on this issue. I donít want to get run out of here. Nice debate fellas.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-11-2003, 08:38 PM
Iím sorry I canít find anybody that has dipped from .304 to .185. There are plenty of guys that have dropped their averages, but none to the extreme that Konerko has. Iíll agree to disagree on the injury issue as I refuse to believe it is as severe as people claim. In todayís world, something would have leaked to the media by now. That said, I will agree that Konerko is very selfish for not being willing to take a few weeks down in the minors. At this point, there is no way he can get the swings he needs here to get him out of this funk. Iíll leave it at that as I have gotten the Warden, a Church Elder and the Webmaster-CEO all involved on this issue. I donít want to get run out of here. Nice debate fellas.

Hey, welcome aboard. :redneck

Oh, we've been talking about him right along. I'm sure we'll keep talking about him, too. The S.O.B. just popped out again, and as usual did his signature pound-the-bat-into-the-dirt-and-tuck-your-chin routine before leaving the batter's box.

Awww... I feel so sorry for him! We ought to give him an Academy Award.

You feel bad about your lousy hitting? Work it out in Charlotte, you selfish piece of ****. :angry:

RKMeibalane
07-11-2003, 08:40 PM
You feel bad about your lousy hitting? Work it out in Charlotte, you selfish piece of ****. :angry:

I think Frank Thomas has been vendicated by this situation. Konerko has been horrible this year, and yet, Frank hasn't criticized him for being selfish, even though the opportunity is clearly there.

Thank you, Frank, for being a real man and letting your bat do the talking.

Paul Konerko, you suck!

Nick@Nite
07-12-2003, 07:41 AM
Anyone remember the the phrase, "Mendoza Line"? Kornerko's .184 BA is WELL BELOW IT.

By my calculation, PK needs to raise his average all of .031 percentage points to reach what was once considered the line between embarrassing and the Twilight Zone.