PDA

View Full Version : HUGE game today

MarqSox
07-10-2003, 11:55 AM
This game is probably the most crucial game any team will play against the Tigers all season. Not only do the Sox need a win to avoid a hugely embarrassing sweep at the hands of the worst team in baseball, but Esteban Loaiza needs a very strong showing (and a win, I might add) to stay in the running to start the All Star Game. Big-time stuff riding one this one guys ...

delben91
07-10-2003, 12:06 PM
As much as I don't want to, I'll probably tune in the GameCast here at work. The only thing more frustrating than seeing the Sox have lost is to actually "see" the loss in progress.

FarmerAndy
07-10-2003, 12:20 PM
There is absolutely nothing riding on this game. The White Sox are not a contender. Period.

THE FACTS:

*We lost two straight series to the D-Rays and Tigers. We've lost more games to the freakin' Tigers than anybody.

*We are 3rd place in a division where the 1st place team would only be 3rd place in either of the other divisions. Right now, we rank 9th out of the 14 American League teams.

*Anybody who thinks this is a playoff team needs to lay down the crack pipe. Wake up and smell the donuts - THIS TEAM IS DONE.

CHISOXFAN13
07-10-2003, 12:25 PM
We have 13 games left against a team you basically said was mediocre and would be in the middle of the pack elsewhere. Not sure how that constitutes us being done.

I agree with Marqsox, this is an important game. The Twins haven't exactly been beating up on the poor squads of the AL, and like I said, I'll take my chances in those 13 games against KC.

Nellie_Fox
07-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Sorry, I just don't see this as important. No matter what happens, they've lost a series to the Tigers. Winning one out of three doesn't change that, nor does it in any way indicate that things are getting better. All the momentum that I thought they had after the sweep of the Twins and taking 2 of 3 from the Cubs is gone. They are back to being a floundering, sub-.500 ballclub.

FarmerAndy
07-10-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
We have 13 games left against a team you basically said was mediocre and would be in the middle of the pack elsewhere. Not sure how that constitutes us being done.

We're 5 1/2 games behind a mediocre team. That makes us a bad team. WE ARE THE 9TH BEST TEAM IN A LEAGUE WITH 14 TEAMS!

Yes, there is an outside chance that we could win the central. (From what this team has shown so far though, they are not even good enough to do that.) Let's say they do squeak by and win the central, SO WHAT. Do you think this team could win a playoff game??? The 2000 squad played way better than this team, and they couldn't win a playoff game. There's no way in hell this bunch could play deep into October.

Everybody keeps talking about how K.C. is going to slide. The season is more than half over, and I'm still waiting for the big K.C. slide. The only slides I've seen have been in Chicago and Minnesota. In 2000 nobody picked th Sox to win this division, but when they started winning and became confident, they couldn't be stopped, no matter what people said. The Royals have that kind of confidence right now.

What has this team shown you that gives you any kind of confidence in them? And confidence in what? Confidence in the fact that they could possibly squeak by in a really bad division? If this team was even slightly good, they would dominate this division.

Make no mistake about it, they will go on a couple more hot streaks and get everybody excited again. But I've bought that snake oil one too many times already this year.

I will continue to go to games and root for my Sox, just as I always have, but I'm not going to be delusional about what we have going this season.

CHISOXFAN13
07-10-2003, 12:52 PM
I'm sure you picked Anaheim to win it all last year, right?
You probably also thought we'd get swept by Seattle in 2000?

The whole point of the thread was I think we can win the Central. Winning in the playoffs is not my concern right now.

CHISOXFAN13
07-10-2003, 12:54 PM
These Royals remind me a lot of the 2001 Twins. Got off to a great start and faltered in the second half. I could be wrong, but that's what I expect to happen to them.

FarmerAndy
07-10-2003, 01:01 PM
Wow, so now they make White Sox kool-aid too.

Hangar18
07-10-2003, 01:13 PM
Its Amazing, all the MOMENTUM this team had going, and the IMPORTANCE to KEEP THE MOMENTUM GOING AT ALL COSTS.....(which means winning the 1st game in a road series. Always win the 1st game) and what does JM do, mess with the lineup, put
in guys in situations where THEY CAN FAIL, then put in lineups that are Full Of OUTS. THATS THE BEST WAY to STOP MOMENTUM in my eyes. That LOSS in the 9th, by the FIRESTARTER himself Billy Koch, was much more DEVASTATING to this team than we give credit for. I was floored at how Manuel Let US LOSE THIS GAME. Memo to Jerry: KOCH SUCKS. Do not bring him in to situations where he can HURT YOU/US/HIMSELF like that. But he doesnt get it does he? Just like he doesnt get KEEPING THOMAS AT 1B does he? WE LOST GROUND IN THE STANDINGS because of these stupid decisions.......