PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone hear Dave Wills last night?

KingXerxes
07-10-2003, 10:44 AM
First of all he gave a big plug to whitesoxinteractive.com - and talked about how he visits these threads, but unfortunately totally overshadowed it by giving waaaaaaaaaaay too much attention to a crank caller.

Some kid called up and said - at least this is what I heard - "Hey dude, what's wrong with the Sox man..........." and then either hung up, or was cut off.

Wills proceeded to spend about the next five minutes mocking and mimic-ing the caller (and calling him a "Drillrod" about 500 times.....a term I've heard only on his show.) He even went so far later in the show to imply that he knew the kid's address (in Palatine) and was maybe going to stop by the kid's house.

Now look - I'm all for keeping punks off the airwaves, but could Wills please rachet down the testosterone just a little bit here? He is defeating himself at every step with these little crank calls. If a moron wants attention, the last thing you want to do is give it to him. Whether the attention be good/bad or indifferent, Wills you've got to stop focusing on this crap, and simply move on. The more you act like you did last night, I guarantee you the more (and weirder) callers you're going to get. Act professional Wills.

We sit back and wonder why we're viewed like we are in the city. We constantly ask ourselves why the White Sox don't have the seemingly universal appeal of their counterparts on the northside. You heard the reason in a nutshell last night after that game.

:wills

"You talkin' to me?"

voodoochile
07-10-2003, 10:49 AM
I don't listen to the radio (DUH!). But the person who started the WSI plug posts here.

Here is a thread about it (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21816)

Brian26
07-10-2003, 11:54 AM
Wills was in RARE form last night. I caught a couple of callers just before 10 pm who were arguiing that Frank Thomas should be playing 1st base and not DH'ing because stats prove Thomas hits better when he plays the field. Wills lost his marbles at this. He went off on Frank's defense. He said that in the last couple of games, the scouts were back out talking about how Frank couldn't dig out throws or make the throw to second on a pick-off play. This seemed like he was really reaching hard to defend Manual. I love Wills, but listening to him last night was difficult. I don't think Frank's defense was really tested THAT much in the past couple of weeks when he was playing the field. In fact, I thought he looked pretty good. Wills seemed extremely irritated though, and maybe it stems from this Cubs caller earlier in the broadcast (which I didn't hear). A caller made a comment about Sammy's defense improving over the past 10 years by playing rightfield for the Cubs and the catch he made against us at Comiskey to rob a homer, and Wills response was, "Well, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile." Funny, but it was definitely a defensive statement.

Anyway, after defending Manual for 10 minutes on the Frank Thomas issue because of his defensive liabilities, Wills very quickly and quietly said, "I have a note here from Bruce Levine that says Thomas turned his ankle a few days ago and that might be why he's not playing the field", and then he moved on and didn't mention it again. Did anyone catch that?

WillieHarris12
07-10-2003, 12:01 PM
Wills is usually pretty nice. Guess he was as mad as we were at the loss.

KingXerxes
07-10-2003, 02:29 PM
It's not just that he was mad at the loss last night - hell everybody was mad over the loss last night. The guy is developing a very annoying knack for being over-defensive, and when he does this he starts acting like some sort of tough guy. It just doesn't show very well for the White Sox (who like it or not he represents even if he does work for the radio station). He's representative of what's wrong with our media exposure.

I stopped at home for lunch today and turned on the television just in time to catch a new commercial for the White Sox. It consists of a slighty trashy woman (maybe 20 or 25 years old), and she's talking on and on about how her date took her to a White Sox game, and then she starts blathering on about advancing a runner from second base by hitting to the right side and on and on and on. WHO THE HELL APPROVES THESE COMMERCIALS? Who does the marketing for this team? Why does this organization insist on constantly presenting itself in a smary manner. I am so sick of this "I know more about baseball than you do" attitude. It appeals to a very, very select crowd - and has absolutely killed the mass appeal of this team.

This commercial may now have replaced the one where the grandfather, father and daughter are all talking about their own "favorite memories" and end up singing "Jose - Jose - Jose!" as my most hated commercial. Who is the dork that played the grandfather, and when they were editing the commercial didn't anyone notice that the old guy doesn't know what to do with his hands? In his pockets, on his hips, on her shoulders, over his son's shoulder. Damn man, just put your hands by their sides and read your part.

This team needs a massive marketing overhaul.

KingXerxes
07-10-2003, 03:07 PM
Just two minutes ago, I turn on my radio and Wills is talking about how he wasn't invited to Murphy's Bleachers to do a Cubs post game show. He then starts talking about how the Cubs are losing, and that is making his day better.

This clown should be relieved of his job right now. He is broadcasting for the White Sox - not the Anti-Cubs. I know that the Cubs are generally deemed to be the more popular of the two teams, but Wills is just ridiculous about this subject. It's doofusses like Wills that give our organization the "inferiority complex" rap that it desperately needs to shed itself of. Say what you want about Chip Caray, Steve Stone, Ron Santo, Dave Otto, Joe Carter, and whoever the hell the play-by-play radio guy is for the Cubs, but you will never - EVER - hear anything as low brow as this dork Wills. It's not funny, it's just pathetic. And only appeals to the William Ligue's of the world.

I better watch out now or Wills will track me down and beat me up.

"You'd better believe it drillrod. I'm one tough hombre, and I'm comin' after you. I played in college you know."

CLR01
07-10-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Just two minutes ago, I turn on my radio and Wills is talking about how he wasn't invited to Murphy's Bleachers to do a Cubs post game show. He then starts talking about how the Cubs are losing, and that is making his day better.

This clown should be relieved of his job right now. He is broadcasting for the White Sox - not the Anti-Cubs. I know that the Cubs are generally deemed to be the more popular of the two teams, but Wills is just ridiculous about this subject. It's doofusses like Wills that give our organization the "inferiority complex" rap that it desperately needs to shed itself of. Say what you want about Chip Caray, Steve Stone, Ron Santo, Dave Otto, Joe Carter, and whoever the hell the play-by-play radio guy is for the Cubs, but you will never - EVER - hear anything as low brow as this dork Wills. It's not funny, it's just pathetic. And only appeals to the William Ligue's of the world.

I better watch out now or Wills will track me down and beat me up.

"You'd better believe it drillrod. I'm one tough hombre, and I'm comin' after you. I played in college you know."

Hey welcome back king. When do we get another hawk or farmer impression?

KingXerxes
07-10-2003, 03:29 PM
Soon I suspect.

I really haven't been able to concentrate too much on the television side so far this year (new job and all), but I have been able to listen to the games. Nevertheless I am still TOTALLY CONVINCED that a huge handicap this team has in the media is its representatives, and this guy Wills is getting to be a joke.

"Listen up pilgrim and listen good, when I played in high school we didn't need to motivate ourselves - we knew what our jobs were."

:DJ

"Of course you pumped yourself up in high school - you had to. You didn't have enough talent to "fake it". Are you saying that your high school experience has qualified you somehow as an expert on why the White Sox look flat?"

"Okay Jackson - I've had enough of your lip. I tell you what, I'll meet you in the parking lot after the game......with my fists....which are registered weapons. And don't bring any of your drillrod friends with you."

:farmer

"Can I watch? Not fight, just watch. I'm not a fighter, Kyle Farnsworth is a fighter, just a watcher. Won't get invoved, can't.....don't want to. Got into a fight once - Al Cowens.....he's dead now. Not 'cause of the fight - I almost got killed there. Hit him in Texas, he hit me back with Kansas City. He didn't literally hit me with the city of Kansas City....Missouri the big one, not the little one in Kansas, but he was with Kansas City at the time, the team not the city. The City and team I guess for that matter in Missouri."

cheeses_h_rice
07-10-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
Soon I suspect.

I really haven't been able to concentrate too much on the television side so far this year (new job and all), but I have been able to listen to the games. Nevertheless I am still TOTALLY CONVINCED that a huge handicap this team has in the media is its representatives, and this guy Wills is getting to be a joke.

"Listen up pilgrim and listen good, when I played in high school we didn't need to motivate ourselves - we knew what our jobs were."

:DJ

"Of course you pumped yourself up in high school - you had to. You didn't have enough talent to "fake it". Are you saying that your high school experience has qualified you somehow as an expert on why the White Sox look flat?"

"Okay Jackson - I've had enough of your lip. I tell you what, I'll meet you in the parking lot after the game......with my fists....which are registered weapons. And don't bring any of your drillrod friends with you."

:farmer

"Can I watch? Not fight, just watch. I'm not a fighter, Kyle Farnsworth is a fighter, just a watcher. Won't get invoved, can't.....don't want to. Got into a fight once - Al Cowens.....he's dead now. Not 'cause of the fight - I almost got killed there. Hit him in Texas, he hit me back with Kansas City. He didn't literally hit me with the city of Kansas City....Missouri the big one, not the little one in Kansas, but he was with Kansas City at the time, the team not the city. The City and team I guess for that matter in Missouri."

*****, as usual. Good stuff, especially the Farmio impression.