PDA

View Full Version : Man-u-smell

Mighty4
07-10-2003, 10:31 AM
Can we please lose today so we can deep-six this clown?

Here are the facts:

Thomas, hitless is his last 12 at-bats, is batting .364 with eight homers in 26 games at first. His average as a designated hitter sunk to .236 after Wednesday's 0-for-4.

So, Thomas at first is batting .128 points higher than when he is a DH. Thomas at first is batting almost if not .200 points higher than Konerko. Thomas at first is batting what, .100 points at least better than Daubach. Those are the facts.

Here's the genious in the papers: Well, we can't seem to get 2 out hits. We're not swinging the bats. When you don't swing the bats it looks like you're not intense. Then he says in the SAME ARTICLE "We're better defensively when Konerko or Daubach plays first" MAKE UP WHAT IS LEFT OF YOUR MIND!

JESUS, this guy is clueless. I know Frank is no gold glover, but it's not like he allows 5 runs a game with his defense. So basically, idiot boy Jerry Man-u-smell comes out and blames the loss yesterday on lack of offense and 5 minutes later explains why he needs a defensive .180 hitting first baseman in the lineup. The man contradicts himself every time he opens his mouth (not counting his bouts with snoring in the dugout)

Mighty4
07-10-2003, 10:34 AM
Now I know what you Manuel apologists are going to say. "Well, Frank is a professional, he should be able to hit no matter where he is playing" :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: Well, he doesn't hit well unless he's playing first; so if your team is lacking offense leave him the hell there.

Hangar18
07-10-2003, 11:11 AM
Remember how HOT he got and the SOX GOT, when he started playing 1B? Makes one think why didnt we keep him there before.....THEN Manuel PUTS HIM BACK AT DH, and his AVG has been sliding back again.....HMM. I think Manuels a Dumb-Ass too

Nellie_Fox
07-10-2003, 12:15 PM
When Frank got hot, Manuel was even quoted about it and said Frank would be at first since it's obvious he is a better hitter when he's at first. That lasted about a week.

Put Frank back at first and leave him alone!

In fact, try something entirely new. Put the same eight guys out there in the same positions every day, with no more than one getting a "day off" at any time. It's about the only thing Manuel hasn't tried.

LuvSox
07-10-2003, 12:46 PM
75% of the people on this board could put out a better line up than he does and the Sox would be in first .

gosox41
07-10-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Mighty4
Can we please lose today so we can deep-six this clown?

Here are the facts:

Thomas, hitless is his last 12 at-bats, is batting .364 with eight homers in 26 games at first. His average as a designated hitter sunk to .236 after Wednesday's 0-for-4.

So, Thomas at first is batting .128 points higher than when he is a DH. Thomas at first is batting almost if not .200 points higher than Konerko. Thomas at first is batting what, .100 points at least better than Daubach. Those are the facts.

Here's the genious in the papers: Well, we can't seem to get 2 out hits. We're not swinging the bats. When you don't swing the bats it looks like you're not intense. Then he says in the SAME ARTICLE "We're better defensively when Konerko or Daubach plays first" MAKE UP WHAT IS LEFT OF YOUR MIND!

JESUS, this guy is clueless. I know Frank is no gold glover, but it's not like he allows 5 runs a game with his defense. So basically, idiot boy Jerry Man-u-smell comes out and blames the loss yesterday on lack of offense and 5 minutes later explains why he needs a defensive .180 hitting first baseman in the lineup. The man contradicts himself every time he opens his mouth (not counting his bouts with snoring in the dugout)

Figures that JM would overrate the importance of defense at 1B then the importance of offense in general. He has no clue.

Bob

gosox41
07-10-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Mighty4
Now I know what you Manuel apologists are going to say. "Well, Frank is a professional, he should be able to hit no matter where he is playing" :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: Well, he doesn't hit well unless he's playing first; so if your team is lacking offense leave him the hell there.

And here's some more advice for a team struggling offensively...don't put in a hitter hitting .185 to try to get him in a groove in the middle of a pennant race.

Bob

Nick@Nite
07-10-2003, 11:54 PM
At first, I thought this thread was a reference to me. But hey, I guess I should not flatter myself.

Btw, Tommy Lasorda once said, am I'm paraphrasing, "contented cows produce more milk, and contented ball players produce more runs".

No fan of TL here... but, JM... whaddya think! How about a set line-up so the team knows where they stand.

Iguana775
07-10-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by PinchALoaf
At first, I thought this thread was a reference to me. But hey, I guess I should not flatter myself.

Btw, Tommy Lasorda once said, am I'm paraphrasing, "contented cows produce more milk, and contented ball players produce more runs".

No fan of TL here... but, JM... whaddya think! How about a set line-up so the team knows where they stand.

Yea, that seems to be a big problem. No one know what their role is. It is constantly changing from day to day.

Nick@Nite
07-11-2003, 12:10 AM
The Sox expectations are like the ice cream flavour of the day.

One day it's like "hey, .500 team, moving on up... strawberry fields for ever!"

Then the next day (or series), "blah, vanilla sucks".

Right now, we are vanilla (that's been sitting next to the sour milk too long).

StepsInSC
07-11-2003, 01:24 AM
A question for the majority of you...since most of you live near Chicago.

This tinkering has been going on since well before this year, how has it been allowed to go on this long?? Surely it cant be only those of us who have no power whatsoever who notices whats going on!. Thats what pisses me off the most, thats its gone on for so long! Some of the tinkering in the past has been borderline, I mean I could maybe see his line of reasoning....but since he started screwing around with Thomas...I just dont get it.

MikeKreevich
07-11-2003, 08:20 AM
The tinkering continues! In today's Tribune, Manuel is quoted as saying he wants to get Roberto Alomar and Jose Valentin some rest. When the season ends, Manuel pretty much will have the best rested second or third place team in baseball.

Paulwny
07-11-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Guzman's Goat
The tinkering continues! In today's Tribune, Manuel is quoted as saying he wants to get Roberto Alomar and Jose Valentin some rest. When the season ends, Manuel pretty much will have the best rested second or third place team in baseball.

Why rest players just before the AS break?
I don't get it.

dickallen15
07-11-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Why rest players just before the AS break?
I don't get it.

They have ONLY had 2 days off the last week, and baseball is a physically grueling game. (I'm being sarcastic). It seems to me the team has taken the last week off anyway, play your best players and win some games.

gosox41
07-11-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by dickallen15
They have ONLY had 2 days off the last week, and baseball is a physically grueling game. (I'm being sarcastic). It seems to me the team has taken the last week off anyway, play your best players and win some games.

Use teal for sarcasm.

Bob