PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way we can get Frank in the HR Derby?

hsnterprize
07-10-2003, 06:56 AM
I'm just asking because, like many of you, I think it would be a great idea for Frank to participate in the HR Derby. Obviously, he was snubbed in not being on the AL All-Star sqaud. I'll give Jason Varitek his due for winning the on-line poll, but Scioscia (sp?) should've put Thomas on. I guess he wants that "home field" advantage in the WS so badly that he'll cut out a fan favorite in his home ballpark rather than doing something Chicago fans would actually like.

:sahaf "Thomas did not deserve to be an All-Star. His bat has been pathetic...he only has warning track power, and the infidels who say he was snubbed will be totally eliminated from the face of the earth."

:bandance: Here's a banana that rally monkey in Anaheim won't want to mess with. Go get 'em, Vic!!!

Foulke You
07-11-2003, 02:14 PM
I'm hoping Frank will get invited to the derby. If not, perhaps they'll invite Magglio Ordonez? He won a HR derby in Las Vegas earlier this year defeating Troy Glaus in the finals. They would have to have a White Sox player in the derby (you would think) considering we are the host???! I'd even take Carl Everett. Just give me someone in a Sox uniform to cheer for on Monday. I have tickets and I can't get all jacked up for it without a White Sox player to cheer for. It is curious how the Derby is on Monday and they have yet to announce the particpants.

I figure Jason Giambi, A-Rod and Troy Glaus are locks for the AL to participate. Maybe Manny Ramirez too.

Pujols, Sheffield, and Richie Sexson are probably likely to be in it for the NL.

ChiWhiteSox1337
07-11-2003, 02:49 PM
On the HR Derby ESPN commercial they've said 4 of the guys, pujols, edmonds, delgado and brett boone

CHISOXFAN13
07-11-2003, 03:01 PM
I read that if Frank didn't get selected to the game he will spend his week in Vegas.

FarmerAndy
07-11-2003, 03:48 PM
Don't you have to be on the All Star team to be in the All Star Home Run Derby??? :?:

guillen4life13
07-11-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
Don't you have to be on the All Star team to be in the All Star Home Run Derby??? :?:

As far as I know... no. Wasn't Sosa invited or something?

Lemme think.
Home field participants:

2002- Richie Sexson
2001- Bret Boone

I can't go further back... though I'm guessing Atlanta sent Chipper.

But I really don't think Frank should participate for one big reason: HR Derbies are known to mess up hitters' swings. Frank can't afford to do that because that will have a direct effect on the club.

Foulke You
07-11-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy

From what I've heard, no you don't necessarily have to be on the team to be in the derby however you need an invitation from MLB to participate. For example, even though Sosa wasn't on the All Star team this year, he was offered an invitation to the derby but declined.

SouthBendSox
07-11-2003, 04:05 PM
watching the all-star game will be sickening

RKMeibalane
07-11-2003, 04:10 PM
I thought about seeing Frank in the HR Derby, but at this point, I really don't care one way or the other. It was wrong of Scossia, MLB, and others to leave him off the All Star team in his park, but that's just the way it is.

For now, I'm going to follow some advice given to me by PHG last winter. As a Sox fan, I'm going to keep my eyes on the ultimate prize (the World Series). Remember, seeing Frank in the 'Derby would be fun, but there's little use in winning small fights and skirmishes when warheads are dropping everywhere else.

Lip Man 1
07-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Frank needs to get drunk for three days and clear his damn head. This past week he's been atrocious and part of it I think was his pressing to try to make the team.

Lip

RKMeibalane
07-11-2003, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Frank needs to get drunk for three days and clear his damn head. This past week he's been atrocious and part of it I think was his pressing to try to make the team.

Lip

The following are the reasons for Frank's recent struggles:

1. Pressure of making the AS team.
2. Closing in on four hundred homeruns.
3. Closing in on two thousand hits.
4. Increased expectations of the team after the big trades.
5. Dissapointment of being snubbed (again).

SoxxoS
07-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
The following are the reasons for Frank's recent struggles:

1. Pressure of making the AS team.
2. Closing in on four hundred homeruns.
3. Closing in on two thousand hits.
4. Increased expectations of the team after the big trades.
5. Dissapointment of being snubbed (again).

What about The Tinkerer playing him at DH, rather than 1B, where it is so obvious he is a much better hitter when he is playing the field.

Instead, Paul "I'm not hitting my weight 90 games into the season" Konerko some quality at-bats.

RKMeibalane
07-11-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
What about The Tinkerer playing him at DH, rather than 1B, where it is so obvious he is a much better hitter when he is playing the field.

Instead, Paul "I'm not hitting my weight 90 games into the season" Konerko some quality at-bats.

I figured there was no reason to state something so obvious. Yes, the tinkering has affected him, as well, but there's nothing Frank can do about that. He can control his feelings about the other issues, however.