PDA

View Full Version : Everett Looked BRUTAL tonight!

chisoxt
07-09-2003, 10:18 PM
I think that we are seeing why the trade for Everett was not a smart one...the guy can't catch a cold in center field. While the Alomar trade can be marginally justified on the basis that it was at least a defensive upgrade at second, I cant say the same for Everett. His defense sucks.

Once again, KW collects players that can't play.

Reichardt
07-09-2003, 10:30 PM
maybe he needs rest. JM will probably give him the day off tomorrow :smile:

guillen4life13
07-09-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by chisoxt
I think that we are seeing why the trade for Everett was not a smart one...the guy can't catch a cold in center field. While the Alomar trade can be marginally justified on the basis that it was at least a defensive upgrade at second, I cant say the same for Everett. His defense sucks.

Once again, KW collects players that can't play.

Hey... just noticed you're from OP. I'm on Grove, right by Emerson Jr. High (or now known as Brooks Middle School, but I'm guessing you know where that is). Where are you?

I think it's a little quick to rush to judgement. I didn't see the full game, so you have me there, but I think most will agree that Everett will contribute more than he subracts from this team. If he isn't suited for the CF role, they can stick A Row in there, or Willie, and Everett can DH. Daubach can rotate between RF, LF, and 1B... whenever any of those guys need a break.

chisoxt
07-09-2003, 10:42 PM
Hey... just noticed you're from OP. I'm on Grove, right by Emerson Jr. High (or now known as Brooks Middle School, but I'm guessing you know where that is). Where are you?

I think it's a little quick to rush to judgement. I didn't see the full game, so you have me there, but I think most will agree that Everett will contribute more than he subracts from this team. If he isn't suited for the CF role, they can stick A Row in there, or Willie, and Everett can DH. Daubach can rotate between RF, LF, and 1B... whenever any of those guys need a break .

I'm on Ridgeland near Division....My objection with Everett is not his bat (lefthanded stick), but his defense...At best he is a corner outfielder and those are a dime a dozen..

Daver
07-09-2003, 10:49 PM

I'm on Ridgeland near Division....My objection with Everett is not his bat (lefthanded stick), but his defense...At best he is a corner outfielder and those are a dime a dozen..

In case you haven't noticed the Sox haven't had a CFer on the roster since opening day,why should they change now?

guillen4life13
07-09-2003, 11:45 PM

Cool.

I should have been a little bit more clear.

Everett, if he has another poor performance like today in the field (btw, could you tell me what he did? I didn't have an opportunity to watch the game), can become the team's primary DH, and Rowand can become the everyday CF. While Rowand is not the greatest of hitters, he has established himself as one who is capable of hitting major league pitching. He doesn't crush it, but he gets his share of hits.

Really, the Sox should not be depending on people like Rowand, Crede, Olivo, and Harris for the offense... not when they have other guys like Frank, Robbie, Carl, Maggs, Manos, and Lee. Rowand and Co. are there for their defense, and occasional RBIs.

My point is that, in my mind, it is just fine for the Sox to DH Everett... but complaining about his defensive replacements' (Rowand or Harris') offensive performances would be unreasonable. The Sox now have four All Star caliber hitters in their everyday lineup (Hurt, Maggs, Carl and Robbie), so I also think it would be stupid for the Sox to go out and get another CF in this situation. Rowand (contrary to what many of you always say), is not a dismal center fielder. He hustles, and for the most part, plays heads up baseball. Better yet, a realistic BA for him would be in the .250-.260 range... and he does have reasonable pop in his bat, so it's not like he's an automatic out, and he won't contribute at all. I think that's good enough to be in an everyday lineup.

Here's what the ideal lineup would be with Everett DHing:

2B Alomar
SS Manos
1B Frank
RF Maggs
DH Everett
LF Lee
CF Rowand
3B Crede
C Alomar/Olivo

Now, if our manager was competent, in late inning situations, anyone from the lower third of the order can have someone pinch-hit for them (Harris would be Rowand's defensive replacement in that scenario, Tony G would be Crede's, Alomar could be Olivo's, and vice versa). That's a realistic lineup that gives enough leeway for it to work well.

Now, given that Frank has gone into another slump (hopefully this one doesn't last too long), and the rest of the offense has gone dormant, those guys really need a jolt.

White Sox Baseball: Makes you feel sick and you still find a way to love it.

NC_sox_fan
07-09-2003, 11:52 PM
"White Sox Baseball: Makes you feel sick and you still find a way to love it."

The perfect quote! Thanks, I love it.

guillen4life13
07-09-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by NC_sox_fan
"White Sox Baseball: Makes you feel sick and you still find a way to love it."

The perfect quote! Thanks, I love it.

Thanks for the compliment. :smile:

MHOUSE
07-10-2003, 12:47 AM
Everett has looked awful in the field ever since arriving. Rowand plays a more competent CF and has actually been hitting well since his recall. DH Everett, Frank at first and Aaron in CF. Stick with a lineup. The Alomar deal looks to have worked out. We have a real 2B and a good hitter. Everett remains to be seen how he will be used and who the PTBNL are.

StillMissOzzie
07-10-2003, 12:48 AM
guillen4life13,
Off thread, but not only did I live in OP, I went to Emerson (back when it was an elementary school) for grades 5-8, **and** I used to live on Grove (at Grove & Adams) **and** our screen names are for the same old school Sox player!

What a small world!

:gulp:

sox_fan_forever
07-10-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
White Sox Baseball: Makes you feel sick and you still find a way to love it.

Hey, if it hasn't already been taken may I use it in my sig? I will give you full credit, of course. It fits my mood right now. :whiner:

chisoxt
07-10-2003, 06:02 AM
Really, the Sox should not be depending on people like Rowand, Crede, Olivo, and Harris for the offense... not when they have other guys like Frank, Robbie, Carl, Maggs, Manos, and Lee. Rowand and Co. are there for their defense, and occasional RBIs.

I do not agree. If all four of those weak hitters you mentioned are playing, that's four spots out of nine in a line-up. If you had four guys not hitting, then it's easy to pitch around the other five guys who are, and that's assuming the other five are hitting... which for this pathetic team is indeed, as stretch.

dickallen15
07-10-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Everett has looked awful in the field ever since arriving. Rowand plays a more competent CF and has actually been hitting well since his recall. DH Everett, Frank at first and Aaron in CF. Stick with a lineup. The Alomar deal looks to have worked out. We have a real 2B and a good hitter. Everett remains to be seen how he will be used and who the PTBNL are.

The first game he was here there were 2 plays an average CF would make that he didn't. It made for good drama because that was the night of Paulie and Frank's dramatic homers. It should have never come to that. I never understood the trade unless there is something else coming. Rowand was starting to really hit and is far superior defensively.

Hullett_Fan
07-10-2003, 09:37 AM
Need to make another 2 trades or this season is over:

Pick up 3B Loretta from Padres to replace that hack Joe Crede

Bring Kenny Lofton back to play CF and put Everett at DH where he belongs.

guillen4life13
07-10-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by sox_fan_forever
Hey, if it hasn't already been taken may I use it in my sig? I will give you full credit, of course. It fits my mood right now. :whiner:

Sure. By all means!

guillen4life13
07-10-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by StillMissOzzie
guillen4life13,
Off thread, but not only did I live in OP, I went to Emerson (back when it was an elementary school) for grades 5-8, **and** I used to live on Grove (at Grove & Adams) **and** our screen names are for the same old school Sox player!

What a small world!

:gulp:

Wow! I went to Holmes (Kenilworth and Chicago Ave.) for elementary school, and, as you can see, I'm more of the new generation here. Do you know anyone named Tom Fisher? He went to Emerson during your time, and he's now a Gym teacher there, so the name MIGHT ring a bell.

I do not agree. If all four of those weak hitters you mentioned are playing, that's four spots out of nine in a line-up. If you had four guys not hitting, then it's easy to pitch around the other five guys who are, and that's assuming the other five are hitting... which for this pathetic team is indeed, as stretch.

Sorry... should have been more clear. I don't think that those weak hitters need to be depended upon to carry this team. That's what we have the big guns there for. These hitters are in there primarily for their defense, and all of them can be pinch hit for in the necessary situations. (On the bench would be Daubach, Konerko, Graffy, Sandy, and Willie). Daubach and Graffy are good hitters who are very good options as pinch hitters. Konerko.... I'd steer clear. Sandy, while he hasn't had many plate appearances, has looked pretty good offensively. Willie also looked like he was getting hot.

Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Need to make another 2 trades or this season is over:

Pick up 3B Loretta from Padres to replace that hack Joe Crede

For one, I think the most glaring hole in this team is still the fifth starter. I don't think the offense will benefit from any more trades. Give them a steady lineup, and they will start producing. Unfortunately, a steady lineup seems quite impossible with Gen. Disarray filling out the lineup cards, eh?

I'd rather have Ventura over Loretta because he's a left handed bat and can platoon, and be Crede's mentor (that's not a bad mentor at all). Above all, Ventura is a known guy here... a real fan favorite. He could add a jolt to the team in the clubhouse.

I don't think there's any way the team could get Ventura without giving up valuable prospects and what not... unless they work a 3-way deal.

Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Bring Kenny Lofton back to play CF and put Everett at DH where he belongs.

Remember last year? Lofton caught fire in April, and a part of May. Then, for the rest of the year, he was a craptacular hitter. Lofton will not add anything to this club. I don't think the AL is his league anymore, as can be seen by his performance as an Indian in 2001, and as a member of the Sox in 2002 (until he was traded). Rowand is capable of playing CF, and it's not like his bat is useless.

maurice
07-10-2003, 11:50 AM
Everett's D may cause the demise of the Daubach/Konerko platoon and the return of the Crash/Hollywood platoon, at least for the time being.

Originally posted by daver
the Sox haven't had a CFer on the roster since opening day

Is this a tacit admission that LTP is a RF and not a CF?

:)

<Ducking arrows/bullets and running for cover.>