PDA

View Full Version : Giambi Replaces Sweeney

valposoxfan
07-09-2003, 07:00 PM
HOW THE HELL DOES THIS HAPPEN???!!!! It doesn't make any sense. I HATE the East Coast. Terrible. :angry:

valposoxfan
07-09-2003, 07:02 PM
By the way, MLB has just announced that Sweeney will be replaced by Jason Giambi. In my anger I forgot to mention this.

Foulke You
07-09-2003, 07:07 PM
Terrible, just terrible. How the hell does this happen? It shouldn't surprise me. Shouldn't they take the person who finished 2ND in voting??????!! Un-frikkin' believable!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

This is a marketing decision pure and simple. Bonds and Sosa aren't going to be in the HR derby so they want Giambi and his NY highness to be there. It's OUR F#$*%^# ALL STAR GAME!!! WHY DID FRANK NOT GET SELECTED!!!!

kermittheefrog
07-09-2003, 07:09 PM
This is ridiculous that the All-Star game comes to Comiskey Park and the White Sox representatives don't have a combined year tenure with the White Sox. *** is that? It's mind bogglingly stupid and it screws us over when it comes to national exposure.

FarmerAndy
07-09-2003, 07:13 PM
Sox fans have a right to be mad about this one.

As far as the 32nd man voting, Varitek got more votes and is a deserving player. No conspiracy.

BUT, with Sweeney being out, the manager gets to choose between Thomas and Giambi. Thomas has the better numbers. Giambi has more RBI, but Frank hasn't had nearly as many RBI opportunities. Franks overall hitting #'s are better. This is a straight up snub. :angry:

valposoxfan
07-09-2003, 07:13 PM
This is just ridiculous. It doesn't make any sense. He comes in second in the 32nd man voting, and Giambi gets named to replace Sweeney at first base. The excuse can't be made that Thomas wasn't listed as a 1B on the ballot because he was. I'm just so confused by this. I hate MLB. This team will never do anything because nothing ever goes this teams way. Unbelievable.

pudge
07-09-2003, 07:14 PM
I live in Seattle, and I have a softball game that night - I was thinking of skipping my game so I could watch the ASG in Comiskey, but now, F#$% IT! I CANNOT BELIEVE they took Giambi over Frank. Frank should be in the game and be in the damn homerun contest, the game is in CHICAGO!! I am not even going to watch the stupid game. I hope everyone who is there BOOS the heck out of Varitek and Giambi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RKMeibalane
07-09-2003, 07:16 PM
Fearless Prediction #3:

Jason Giambi will suffer a season-ending injury sometime this week.

FoulTerritory
07-09-2003, 07:16 PM
I will not boo Varitek, because hey, he won the vote fair and square, but wow will I boo Giambi in both the derby and the game. How pathetic. Thomas has more votes than him, AND the game is in his park, and Thomas has better or the same numbers in about every category except RBI. Thomas, 3rd in AL in OPS! *** is going on here?

This is just another example of why baseball fails. They cannot see the long term damage of the cumulation of their boneheaded decisions. All they can see are one days higher TV ratings. Forget that they again betray the trust of their most loyal fans who only ask for fairness. Aggravation pervades.

Foulke You
07-09-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
It's OUR F#$*%^# ALL STAR GAME!!! WHY DID FRANK NOT GET SELECTED!!!!

Allow me to correct myself..it is Fox and ESPN's All Star Game, not ours.

valposoxfan
07-09-2003, 07:18 PM
I don't care about being respectful now. I will the boo the hell out of Giambi. He doesn't deserve to be there over Frank.

RKMeibalane
07-09-2003, 07:19 PM
Unless an unexpected development occurs that allows Frank to play next week, I will not watch another All Star Game until Bud Selig and Jason Giambi are out of baseball. I've lost my patience, and I will no longer tolerate this bull****. Bud Selig, you have much to answer for.

WillieHarris12
07-09-2003, 07:21 PM
:angry: :angry: :angry: COMPLAINTS TO COME! WATCH OUT MLB! HERE I COME!!! :angry: :angry:

RKMeibalane
07-09-2003, 07:23 PM
If Giambi has any sense of honor and class, he won't accept this. If I were in his position, I would turn the selection down. He doesn't deserve to be there. Whether a player makes the All Star taem or not should depend on the quality of his statistics, not on the uniform he wears. A grave injustice has been committed today, and I will not soon forget it.

Soxfan7070
07-09-2003, 07:24 PM
Hmmm...so Yankees have 4 players and the Sox only have 2...that's just terrible...Frank should be there...

FoulTerritory
07-09-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Unless an unexpected development occurs that allows Frank to play next week, I will not watch another All Star Game until Bud Selig and Jason Giambi are out of baseball. I've lost my patience, and I will no longer tolerate this bull****. Bud Selig, you have much to answer for.

Same here. I mean let me recount the ways MLB has offended me in the past week. I morgage my house to buy tickets for all-star weekend, only to find out that a) Bonds, the main jewell in the homerun derby won't participate because he thinks hes too cool for it. B) Baker selects Wood inspite of the young Dontelle's superior stats erasing what everyone hoped would be a chance to watch the young talent, C) Frank is not chosen in the original or vote-off selection process despite being 3rd in the AL in OPS. D) Despite the fans showing how much they want him there, and his superior numbers and the game in his home stadium, Frank is still not added due to Sweeny injury and another 4th yankee is whose stats are lesser. E) Bud Selig is officially one of the worst leaders of any orgination in the history of mankind.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-09-2003, 07:37 PM
I'm really curious to hear Scioscia's rationale for picking Giambi over Thomas. Frank's numbers are superior and the game is being played on the South Side. Frank is the greatest player in franchise history--and he won't be there.

If you're looking for someone who deserves to be booed, it ought to be Mike Scioscia.

:angry:

FoulTerritory
07-09-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I'm really curious to hear Scioscia's rationale for picking Giambi over Thomas. Frank's numbers are superior and the game is being played on the South Side. Frank is the greatest player in franchise history--and he won't be there.

If you're looking for someone who deserves to be booed, it ought to be Mike Scioscia.

:angry:

Perhaps Soscia is the primary culpret as it is his decision technically, but . . . I beleive he must confer with MLB (Selig) before finalizing his picks. I assume the same would apply to a replacement pick. I mean, this just stinks of Selig. Soscia has little to gain from picking a Yankee, but Selig via TV ratings, has a lot to gain. So I am just imagining Selig nudging Soscia in the Giambi direction. We'll probably never know, but regardless, this is incredibly unfair, and I am just sitting here beat red with anger. ARGH.

Jerko
07-09-2003, 07:59 PM
Two thoughts: One, I bet now Scioscia will name Esteban Loaiza as the starter to prevent us from getting on his a$$ too much, and two, if it was that important for Giambi to get into the all star game maybe the Yankee players should have participated in the voting process like everybody else did. I will boo him just for that. They don't even care about it yet they benefit. Then again, maybe they just knew he would get in anyway and figured why should they waste their time? I give up.

Jerko
07-09-2003, 08:00 PM
Oh, I forgot; :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Daver
07-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Oh, I forgot; :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

You could have used this.

:)

Jjav829
07-09-2003, 08:08 PM
If Giambi has any sense of honor and class, he won't accept this. If I were in his position, I would turn the selection down. He doesn't deserve to be there. Whether a player makes the All Star taem or not should depend on the quality of his statistics, not on the uniform he wears. A grave injustice has been committed today, and I will not soon forget it.

LOL! Yeah, what a classless prick he is if he doesn't turn down the selection.

I have some bad news for you. If Giambi doesn't deserve to be there, then neither does Frank.

Frank: 78 H 20 HR 48 RBI 61 BB .279 BA .418 OBP .571 SLG .989 OPS

Giambi: 80 H 23 HR 65 RBI 73 BB .268 BA .419 OBP .532 SLG .951 OPS

I fail to see why Giambi's numbers don't merit being an all-star but Frank's do.

harwar
07-09-2003, 08:14 PM
I've been looking forward to this allstar game since i first heard it would be in Comiskey Park.I just called my daughter and told her that she can have my tickets to the game.I was going to go just to BOO Variek,Giambi,& Scioscia but the IT!!I'll tell ya something else we got to look forward to,the White Sox can't even beat the tigers!! What a BIG BUMMER!!!!!!!! What the hell happened?

RKMeibalane
07-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829

I have some bad news for you. If Giambi doesn't deserve to be there, then neither does Frank.

I fail to see why Giambi's numbers don't merit being an all-star but Frank's do.

1. Until a few weeks ago, Giambi was in danger of hitting below .200.

2. The Yankees are going to win their divison no matter who's on their roster, because King George will spend the money to get them over the top. The Sox would not be where they are without Frank.

3. The game is in Frank's park.

4. Frank had a terrible year in 2002, and he has worked hard to bounce back. That type of effort deserves to be rewarded, not ignored.

voodoochile
07-09-2003, 08:18 PM

You are implying this is strictly based on numbers. No one is claiming that. But, whatever slight difference in numbers there is (and it can be argued that Frank's +.038OPS is reasonably significant) would more than be offset (or increased) by the fact that the game is in Frank's house.

Honestly, the more I think about it, it becomes obvious that JR doesn't want Frank anywhere near this game and he stacked the deck. I'm probably just paranoid. It's been a long day...

Jjav829
07-09-2003, 08:29 PM
1. Until a few weeks ago, Giambi was in danger of hitting below .200.

And that makes a difference, why? Hes hitting .267 now. His eye problems have been corrected and ever since hes been on a major tear. He'll be at or near .300 by the end of the season.

2. The Yankees are going to win their divison no matter who's on their roster, because King George will spend the money to get them over the top. The Sox would not be where they are without Frank.

What does a teams success have to do with being an all star. The All Star game is for rewarding players who are having good years. Their teams success does not factor in at all. That is why bad teams are still represented. I'm quite sure the Drays would be just as bad without Lance Carter.

3. The game is in Frank's park.

True, and it would be great if he made the All Star team but he didn't. I would like to see him there but at the same time I hated how Cal Ripken was an All Star 2 years ago without deserving it so I'm not going to be a hypocrite and say that Frank should be there even if hes not deserving.

4. Frank had a terrible year in 2002, and he has worked hard to bounce back. That type of effort deserves to be rewarded, not ignored.

There are plenty of players who have had bad years and worked hard to bounce back. Should they all be rewarded?

Jjav829
07-09-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
You are implying this is strictly based on numbers. No one is claiming that. But, whatever slight difference in numbers there is (and it can be argued that Frank's +.038OPS is reasonably significant) would more than be offset (or increased) by the fact that the game is in Frank's house.

Honestly, the more I think about it, it becomes obvious that JR doesn't want Frank anywhere near this game and he stacked the deck. I'm probably just paranoid. It's been a long day...

Yeah, you must be getting paranoid. Just out of curiosity, why is this JR's fault?

Daver
07-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Yeah, you must be getting paranoid. Just out of curiosity, why is this JR's fault?

Voodoo is just paranoid.

We all know it is Bud Selig's fault.

Jjav829
07-09-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by daver
Voodoo is just paranoid.

We all know it is Bud Selig's fault.

LOL, now that's more like it.

FoulTerritory
07-09-2003, 08:41 PM

Then I would ask you to answer one questoin.

Considering that at best, Giambis season is about equal to Franks if not slightly worse than franks . . .

What do you think was the motive for selecting Giambi over Frank?

This is why people are upset. We all know that when all things are equal . . . or even arguably sort of somewhat close to equal . . . the benefit of the doubt always goes to New York. I think what we're saying is that just once, with the intangible of our park as host, and Franks comparable, even slightly superior numbers, why don't we get the benefit of the doubt this year?

Now they are straining to favor NY, and its all about the dinero.

RKMeibalane
07-09-2003, 08:45 PM
What does a teams success have to do with being an all star. The All Star game is for rewarding players who are having good years. Their teams success does not factor in at all. That is why bad teams are still represented. I'm quite sure the Drays would be just as bad without Lance Carter.

Lance Carter was selected because every team must have a representative. The Yankees, on the other hand, already have players who will be at the game. Giambi doesn't change this.

True, and it would be great if he made the All Star team but he didn't. I would like to see him there but at the same time I hated how Cal Ripken was an All Star 2 years ago without deserving it so I'm not going to be a hypocrite and say that Frank should be there even if hes not deserving.

That's not a fair comparison. Frank, by most people's standards, has a had a good season. He ranks near the top of the league in several offensive categories. Ripken's numbers were offensive, period, in 2001.

There are plenty of players who have had bad years and worked hard to bounce back. Should they all be rewarded?

Many "big name" baseball players have been.

1. Mark McGwire had an awful year in 1991. He came back the following season to challenge for the homerun title, and he helped Oakland reach the postseason. He made the All Star team.

2. Will Clark's last year in San Francisco was a joke. He followed that up by hitting .333 in the first half of 1994. He was selected to the All Star team.

3. Bobby Bonilla made an ass of himself upon joining the New York Mets. His 1992 campagin was pathetic, but he rebounded to make the All Star team the following year.

4. Andres Gallaraga hit just ten homers with St. Louis in 1992. Upon moving to Colorado the following season, he rediscovered his stroke and made the All Star team.

WHarris13
07-09-2003, 08:50 PM
:angry: :angry: :angry: **** THE YANKS!

Jjav829
07-09-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by FoulTerritory
Then I would ask you to answer one questoin.

Considering that at best, Giambis season is about equal to Franks if not slightly worse than franks . . .

What do you think was the motive for selecting Giambi over Frank?

This is why people are upset. We all know that when all things are equal . . . or even arguably sort of somewhat close to equal . . . the benefit of the doubt always goes to New York. I think what we're saying is that just once, with the intangible of our park as host, and Franks comparable, even slightly superior numbers, why don't we get the benefit of the doubt this year?

Now they are straining to favor NY, and its all about the dinero.

I think it is name recognition. Ask any GM who they would rather have on their team, Frank Thomas or Jason Giambi. I doubt you'll get one person who says Frank Thomas, and that includes Kenny. With the exception of stat geeks, a lot of people in baseball (especially the old timers) don't look a stats. Nowadays there are more Billy Beane's of the world who look at a guys numbers when making a decision. But there are also a lot of the old school "I know a good player when I see one" type personnel. I guess my point is that numbers aside, few people would think of Frank Thomas as a better player than Jason Giambi.

I don't doubt that him being a Yankee played into the decision. I'm sure that was a deciding factor because MLB is going to get most of the Chicago market simply because the game is in Chicago whereas adding another Yankee will add to the ratings they draw from the NY and national market.

RKMeibalane
07-09-2003, 08:56 PM
I don't doubt that him being a Yankee played into the decision. I'm sure that was a deciding factor because MLB is going to get most of the Chicago market simply because the game is in Chicago whereas adding another Yankee will add to the ratings they draw from the NY and national market.

That's the problem, though, isn't it? Yes, having another Yankee in the game will lead to higher ratings, and more money for MLB. That is a positive short-term gain. However, the long-term effects won't be as pleasant.

Whenever something like this happens, people get upset. Nobody likes being cheated, and that is how many Sox fans feel. Something like this leaves a bad taste in people's mouths, and it takes awhile for the taste to go away. Some people are so turned off by this sort of thing they stop watching baseball altogether.

A few years ago, after the infamous Florida Marlins firesale, I was reading through a Sports Illustrated magazine, and there an excerpt from a letter included in an artcle about the Marlins. In it, an angry parent spoke of how devestated his son was because the Marlins traded his favorite player, Moises Alou. This probably doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is, because it's happening more and more these days. Baseball has not been the same since the 1994 strike, and if things keep progressing as they have, the game is going to have other problems in the near future.

FoulTerritory
07-09-2003, 08:59 PM
That's the problem, though, isn't it? Yes, having another Yankee in the game will lead to higher ratings, and more money for MLB. That is a positive short-term gain. However, the long-term effects won't be as pleasant.

Whenever something like this happens, people get upset. Nobody likes being cheated, and that is how many Sox fans feel. Something like this leaves a bad taste in people's mouths, and it takes awhile for the taste to go away. Some people are so turned off by this sort of thing they stop watching baseball altogether.

A few years ago, after the infamous Florida Marlins firesale, I was reading through a Sports Illustrated magazine, and there an excerpt from a letter included in an artcle about the Marlins. In it, an angry parent spoke of how devestated his son was because the Marlins traded his favorite player, Moises Alou. This probably doesn't seem like a big deal, but it is, because it's happening more and more these days. Baseball has not been the same since the 1994 strike, and if things keep progressing as they have, the game is going to have other problems in the near future.

Right on.

Jjav829
07-09-2003, 09:01 PM
Lance Carter was selected because every team must have a representative. The Yankees, on the other hand, already have players who will be at the game. Giambi doesn't change this.

The point was that a teams success/failure is not considered in whether a player is selected or not. That is part of why the rule is there. Otherwise a guy like Brian Giles would be overlooked every year because his team is brutal. The point of the game is to reward a player based on their success, not on whether or not their success is a factor in their teams success/failure.

That's not a fair comparison. Frank, by most people's standards, has a had a good season. He ranks near the top of the league in several offensive categories. Ripken's numbers were offensive, period, in 2001.

Yes his numbers were bad. My point was that I don't believe in sentimental picks. I believe the guys who are selected should be selected based on how they are performing, not where the game is, what the whether is going to be like, who is singing the national anthem, blah, blah, blah.

Many "big name" baseball players have been.

1. Mark McGwire had an awful year in 1991. He came back the following season to challenge for the homerun title, and he helped Oakland reach the postseason. He made the All Star team.

2. Will Clark's last year in San Francisco was a joke. He followed that up by hitting .333 in the first half of 1994. He was selected to the All Star team.

3. Bobby Bonilla made an ass of himself upon joining the New York Mets. His 1992 campagin was pathetic, but he rebounded to make the All Star team the following year.

4. Andres Gallaraga hit just ten homers with St. Louis in 1992. Upon moving to Colorado the following season, he rediscovered his stroke and made the All Star team.

That still doesn't answer my question. Should a guy be selected simply because he comes back strong from a bad year. Those are examples of guys who have, but does that mean that every player should?

Jjav829
07-09-2003, 09:04 PM

I have one simply response to that. If someone gets so turned off by a ridiculous exhibition game that they don't want to watch baseball anymore, good riddance. Go away because you obviously fail to realize that the All Star game is not a real game and regardless of what importance MLB tries to give it, it still means absolutely nothing.

Money talks, bull**** walks. No matter what business you're talking about, this is always true.

Daver
07-09-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by WHarris13
:angry: :angry: :angry: **** THE YANKS!

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

RKMeibalane
07-09-2003, 09:07 PM
Money talks, bull**** walks. No matter what business you're talking about, this is always true.

It shouldn't be that way, though. That's my point. The sooner the rest of the world realizes this, the better off everyone will be.

Jjav829
07-09-2003, 09:10 PM
It shouldn't be that way, though. That's my point. The sooner the rest of the world realizes this, the better off everyone will be.

Well, you better get used to it because it isn't going to change. Money rules the world.

Lip Man 1
07-09-2003, 10:35 PM
Thomas didn't make the team because the Yankees bitched and moaned all last week because they only had three starters on the team and no pitchers.

Also the bottom line is that Fox wants viewers on the East Coast watching and that doesn't mean loading up the teams with Phillies, Orioles and Marlins.

Giambi is a left handed hitter and may be needed later in the game. Thomas is a righty.

Finally don't overlook the fact that because of the goofy schedule Scioscia has NOT seen Thomas in person this year. Anaheim hasn't played the Sox yet. The Yankees HAVE played the Angels.

and last but not least it's because we are the White Sox, haven't won squat in decades and nobody outside of Chicago gives a damn.

Lip

Konerkoholic
07-09-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Finally don't overlook the fact that because of the goofy schedule Scioscia has NOT seen Thomas in person this year. Anaheim hasn't played the Sox yet. The Yankees HAVE played the Angels.

and last but not least it's because we are the White Sox, haven't won squat in decades and nobody outside of Chicago gives a damn.

Lip

Exactly right. Scioscia picked a lot of guys from the AL West (R.Hernandez, S. Hasegawa, etc.) because hes seen them play personally. By picking Hernandez over Varitek he forced Varitek into the 32nd man vote and therefore screwed Frank.

chisox56
07-09-2003, 11:47 PM
Why does major league baseball keep screwing over frank thomas. He was and is still one of the greatest hitters ever, yet even when his team host's the all-star game and he is second in voting for the 32nd player they still pick sellout giambi. I hope frank uses this snub to go on a big tear the rest of the season. Even if he has MVP numbers though he will be screwed over in that. I guess frank never gets any respect from anyone. It is a shame.

Konerkoholic
07-09-2003, 11:47 PM

You're right that their numbers are comparable. But Frank would have as many RBIs as Giambi with Soraino and Jeter ahead of him instead of Harris and Rowand.

I think we're all really pissed off because we were slapped in the face three times this week. The first one was Frank not being named to the team's original roster. Frank's numbers are better than Carl Everett's. I don't really feel like Carl Everett is representing the Sox because he did all his damage with Texas. The second slap in the face was coming up short to Varitek in the 32nd man voting. Varitek won fair and square, but a lot of us voted hundreds or thousands of times trying to get Frank in. To come up short is very discouraging. Third, for Giambi to be picked over Thomas in our ballpark, when Frank came in two spots better than Giambi in voting, is just a huge insult. I mean, look at 1999 in Fenway Park. We all know Ray Durham deserved to go over Jose Offerman, but Offerman got the benefit. Last year, Jose Hernandez got the nod in his own ballpark. This stuff happens all the time but it seems like our ballclub is the only exeption.

All these things coming together, with the team sucking, with us being called the worst fans, we needed to see Frank at the game. With Giambi being picked, it's like Yankee fans were just served another piece of pie and we get the crumbs.

Konerkoholic
07-09-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by chisox56
I hope frank uses this snub to go on a big tear the rest of the season.
I don't know. He certainly hasn't responded well to it so far. Is he 0-fer since the team was announced? His spirits are definitely down. We have to give him a huge ovation when the Sox play their next home game.

ScottyTheSoxFan
07-10-2003, 12:02 AM
mlb is so freakin rigged i cant believe it.

another thing people are not mentioning... the other 32nd man happens to be a BREWER, the team the commish used to own !!!!!!!! it is such bull***t! the whole way of doing things needs an over haul.

what if carl everett gave his spot to Frank? carl shouldnt have to at all, but it would be a very nice gesture

sox_fan_forever
07-10-2003, 12:02 AM
I feel almost ill. I found out before I went to work tonight that Frank had lost the 32nd man thing. But then I get home from work to find out the Sox lost to the Tigers and that Frank was snubbed AGAIN. I am so...depressed, or something, right now. I am just sick of everything, and I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Oh, and the Sox are now below .500 on nights that I am at work. I guess it only works when they play the Twins. :(:

WhiteSox = Life
07-10-2003, 12:15 AM
No, it only works on the few nights after they play the Cubs.

Mighty4
07-10-2003, 09:55 AM
What is all this cop-out crap by these managers? "Oh, I haven't seen him play in person". Well, until this year I never saw Barry Bonds play in person, but funny, I still know he's good. Has a manager ever switched leagues and coach an all star team the same year? He would have no players since "he hasn't seen them in person yet". It's not like Thomas is a rookie; if Scioscia does not know Thomas because he hasn't seen him yet this year that is a joke of an excuse. I don't think Scioscia himself said that, but this is getting silly. Giambi made it because no other Yankee reserve did. Plain and simple.

hold2dibber
07-10-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Konerkoholic
Exactly right. Scioscia picked a lot of guys from the AL West (R.Hernandez, S. Hasegawa, etc.) because hes seen them play personally. By picking Hernandez over Varitek he forced Varitek into the 32nd man vote and therefore screwed Frank.

Actually, the players chose Hernandez over Varitek, not Scioscia. The fans chose the starters, the players chose the back-up at each position (including Hernandez at C in the AL), the managers got to make the last 4 or 5 picks and then the fans voted for the last player.

kempsted
07-10-2003, 10:52 AM
Hey Jerry is one of the All Star managers. Maybe he said Frank shouldn't play first :smile:

YOFrankie
07-10-2003, 02:42 PM
IIRC, last time Frank was passed over for the All-Star game when he was at least a borderline candidate, he had an even stronger second half and was 3rd in the MVP voting, so maybe this will be good motivation and good for the team in the long run. Anyway, back to &^!#*ing about this.

jeremyb1
07-10-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Mighty4
What is all this cop-out crap by these managers? "Oh, I haven't seen him play in person". Well, until this year I never saw Barry Bonds play in person, but funny, I still know he's good.

mlb needs an independent body to pick the reserves. the players' voting is a good start. managers aren't gm's anyways. a manager's job is not to judge talent, it is to make smart managerial decisions and get the most out of its talent. the reserves for the all-star game are a joke every single year because as far as talent most managers seem to know little more than the average fan and pick based on embarassing factors suck as how a player has performed in the handful of games he's played against that manager's team in the first half of the season.