PDA

View Full Version : I suspect foul play here


WillieHarris12
07-09-2003, 05:30 PM
I didn't see ANY numbers on the voting for the 32nd man. I think MLB.com did this on purpose. It seems as though Frank was "gaining quickly" as they were thinking that it would be more exciting if Thomas were in the game, but when those Boston fans accused us of cheating it seemed that Thomas fell out of the race because MLB.com wants to make sure that there wouldn't be any controversy. That's how I see it. It makes no sense at all.

oheeoh...magglio
07-09-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by WillieHarris12
I didn't see ANY numbers on the voting for the 32nd man. I think MLB.com did this on purpose. It seems as though Frank was "gaining quickly" as they were thinking that it would be more exciting if Thomas were in the game, but when those Boston fans accused us of cheating it seemed that Thomas fell out of the race because MLB.com wants to make sure that there wouldn't be any controversy. That's how I see it. It makes no sense at all.

whenever someone, something, or some team from the east coast is involved, foul play, if not at least expected, is usually involved because the EAST COAST SUCKS and does whatever it takes to get it's way...

RKMeibalane
07-09-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by WillieHarris12
I didn't see ANY numbers on the voting for the 32nd man. I think MLB.com did this on purpose. It seems as though Frank was "gaining quickly" as they were thinking that it would be more exciting if Thomas were in the game, but when those Boston fans accused us of cheating it seemed that Thomas fell out of the race because MLB.com wants to make sure that there wouldn't be any controversy. That's how I see it. It makes no sense at all.

Peter Gammons is behind this. I'm certain of it.

NewyorkSoxFan
07-09-2003, 05:34 PM
Or They just have more fans than us!! They are a one team city, and we unfortunately are the second team in our own city.

NYSF

WhiteSox = Life
07-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Foul play is going pretty far, but stranger things have occurred...

:hawk
"I love conspiratorial threads!"

WillieHarris12
07-09-2003, 05:36 PM
Frank won in my mind. And why is Everett in before Thomas anyway???

Bucktown
07-09-2003, 05:40 PM
I have said all along the winner of this will be the one whose fans figure out how to game the system. I was able to log 120,000 votes with my automated script until MLB changed their voting page. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to figure out how to work around that one. Boston probably had several fans that were able to script in votes.

hold2dibber
07-09-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by WillieHarris12
I didn't see ANY numbers on the voting for the 32nd man. I think MLB.com did this on purpose. It seems as though Frank was "gaining quickly" as they were thinking that it would be more exciting if Thomas were in the game, but when those Boston fans accused us of cheating it seemed that Thomas fell out of the race because MLB.com wants to make sure that there wouldn't be any controversy. That's how I see it. It makes no sense at all.

What are you talking about - what Boston fans accused "us" of cheating? Did I miss something?

WillieHarris12
07-09-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
What are you talking about - what Boston fans accused "us" of cheating? Did I miss something?

mlb.com forums...

Foulke You
07-09-2003, 05:54 PM
I think the fact that the Red Sox have a nationally hyped and recognized team was the deciding factor. Let's face it guys, we're the White Sox. We have a small, dedicated, rabid bunch of fans and the fact that we were able to keep Frank in 2nd place when there was a player from the Red Sox AND the Yankees on the list shows how good of a fanbase we have. It sucks that Frank didn't make the team, he should have made the first cut of players. I like Everett and everything but Frank's numbers are better, he should be there representing the Sox. In any case, let's give ourselves a pat on the back for giving Frank our best effort and cheer on Loaiza and Everett during the All Star Game.

RedPinStripes
07-09-2003, 06:01 PM
:boston
"Life is good, but the All Star game should be at Fenway Park"

kermittheefrog
07-09-2003, 06:04 PM
The deciding factor is that the players are morons and don't know who belongs in the all-star game. It's a joke that Carl Everett and Ramon Hernandez were voted in ahead of Thomas and Varitek. Both Thomas and Varitek are better than the guys the players voted ahead of them and deserve to be there. At one point I was very excited about the All-Star game in Chicago but so many things have happened to screw the game up that I barely care anymore. I'm glad I didn't waste money on tickets.

ihatethecubs
07-09-2003, 06:32 PM
i think this is BS, they said varitek won, not cuz he got the most votes, but cuz they needed a second catcher to back up posada. maybe king george is behind this

RKMeibalane
07-09-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
i think this is BS, they said varitek won, not cuz he got the most votes, but cuz they needed a second catcher to back up posada. maybe king george is behind this

What do they need a second catcher for? Three is crowd, especially at that position. Besides, it is stated in the MLB Rulebook that a catch is allowed to re-enter the game if there is an injury, so they can't use that as an excuse. Major League Baseball is getting on my nerves. Maybe MLB should stand for "Major League Bull****."

RKMeibalane
07-09-2003, 07:28 PM
I think bc2k is behind this.

Jjav829
07-09-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I think the fact that the Red Sox have a nationally hyped and recognized team was the deciding factor. Let's face it guys, we're the White Sox. We have a small, dedicated, rabid bunch of fans and the fact that we were able to keep Frank in 2nd place when there was a player from the Red Sox AND the Yankees on the list shows how good of a fanbase we have. It sucks that Frank didn't make the team, he should have made the first cut of players. I like Everett and everything but Frank's numbers are better, he should be there representing the Sox. In any case, let's give ourselves a pat on the back for giving Frank our best effort and cheer on Loaiza and Everett during the All Star Game.

Ahh, a voice of reason. Thank you. You couldn't have said my thoughts any more perfectly. The reason Varitek won is because the Red Sox are the Red Sox. They have a ton more fans than the White Sox. I am surprised Giambi finished 4th with all the Yankee fans there are. Apparently, they don't vote as much. I am thoroughly shocked that Frank finished second. I predicted on Sunday that the final vote would end Giambi, Varitek, Frank, Byrnes, Molina. So the fact that we managed to get Frank into 2nd is a pretty good accomplishment. Unfortunately, we don't get enough national votes as a team like the Red Sox. Maybe Frank will get into the HR Derby, maybe not. The bottom line is it is a game that is supposed to be a fun break from the tough season. I'm disappointed that Frank didn't make it, but I'm gonna watch the game because I watch more for other teams players than our own. Then I'm gonna go back to the real issue here...the AL Central and the fact that we can't seem to beat pathetic teams. It seems most people have been caught up in voting for Frank the past few days which is probably a good thing, because the Sox have just dropped 3 out of 4 to the 2 worst teams in baseball and as I type this are in danger of losing again to the Detroit F'in Tigers! THAT is what pisses me off.

RKMeibalane
07-09-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Maybe Frank will get into the HR Derby, maybe not.

I don't think he's allowed to participate because he's not on the team, unless they changed the rules.

MarqSox
07-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I don't think he's allowed to participate because he's not on the team, unless they changed the rules.

Hey, they invited The Cheater even though he didn't make the team. Of course, Shammy is above the rules, so ...

RKMeibalane
07-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Hey, they invited The Cheater even though he didn't make the team. Of course, Shammy is above the rules, so ...

I'm surprised nobody has said much of anything about this. Then again, Sosa is the greatest thing to ever happen to baseball. He is bigger than the game.

Well, Sosa himself may not be bigger than the game, but his ego certainly is.

Jjav829
07-09-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I don't think he's allowed to participate because he's not on the team, unless they changed the rules.

He can still participate and may very well get a call because a lot of big name players are turning it down. Now whether or not Frank will accept the invite or not is a different question.

RKMeibalane
07-09-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
He can still participate and may very well get a call because a lot of big name players are turning it down. Now whether or not Frank will accept the invite or not is a different question.

I doubt he would accept it.

1. Frank has a tendency to hold grudges when something like this happens.

2. He has mentioned that the HR Derby messes up his swing. Given how many problems he's had with his mechanics, I don't think he would risk screwing himself up again.

Jjav829
07-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I doubt he would accept it.

1. Frank has a tendency to hold grudges when something like this happens.

2. He has mentioned that the HR Derby messes up his swing. Given how many problems he's had with his mechanics, I don't think he would risk screwing himself up again.

Yeah thats why I am guessing he might not accept it. He might do one of those "If I'm not good enough to be in the All Star game then I'm not good enough to be in the HR Derby either" things.

I don't know if I want him there or not. It would be nice to have a hometown player in the HR Derby, but its meaningless and the rest of the season is far more important.

rmusacch
07-09-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by WillieHarris12
I didn't see ANY numbers on the voting for the 32nd man. I think MLB.com did this on purpose. It seems as though Frank was "gaining quickly" as they were thinking that it would be more exciting if Thomas were in the game, but when those Boston fans accused us of cheating it seemed that Thomas fell out of the race because MLB.com wants to make sure that there wouldn't be any controversy. That's how I see it. It makes no sense at all.

What did the Boston fans say?