PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Manuel and one-run games

pudge
07-09-2003, 01:53 AM
A few weeks ago I remember a stat was flashed on the screen that Jerry Manuel was 115-115 in one-run games... so I went back to mid June, and with the three recent losses, Manuel is 4-7 in one-run games since mid-June, which would put him 3 games under .500. I think a manager needs to do better than that. These recent losses are killers. If Maggs (Saturday) and Everett (Tuesday) would have been in the lineups, maybe we'd have won a couple one-run games instead of losing them.

Jerko
07-09-2003, 10:27 AM
How many of those one run losses are attributable (is that a word) to Foulke being brought into a tie game and losing? For 3 years? After he admitted he sucked coming into tie games? I can think of one right off the top of my head. Sox-Expos. 1-1, bottom of the 8th. Howry in the bullpen warming up. Sox go down in the 8th. Here comes Foulke to warm up ON THE MOUND between innings. Top of 9th opens; Guerrero at the bat. Before I got the sentence "here comes a home run" out of my mouth, first pitch - boom. Homer. Expos win 2-1. And that was like the 2,384,384,759,637,495 time that same situation happened. That is why Manuel is under 500 in one run games as a manager. I just can't believe it's only 3 games under.

DC Sox Fan
07-09-2003, 10:55 AM
Aren't most (3) of those 4 wins against the Scrubs?

bobj4400
07-09-2003, 11:01 AM
I was at that Sox-Expos game, and as Foulke walked out to the mound, the entire section I was sitting in groaned, already knowing what the outcome of the game was going to be.

Jerko
07-09-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by bobj4400
I was at that Sox-Expos game, and as Foulke walked out to the mound, the entire section I was sitting in groaned, already knowing what the outcome of the game was going to be.

I think that was sleep-over night if I remember correctly. What a night to have to stay there longer than you had too.