PDA

View Full Version : 32nd Man

FJA
07-08-2003, 11:41 PM
I don't expect much Frank support from Boston Gammons and crew, but FWIW, they're going to make their 32nd man picks after the commercials on BBTN.

SouthBendSox
07-08-2003, 11:47 PM
3 of 4 reccomended Thomas

can you guess what the lone dissenter was and what his choice was ????? :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :)

WhiteSoxWinner
07-08-2003, 11:48 PM
Surprise surprise, Gammons took Varitek. The other two (Reynolds and Showalter) said Thomas. Gammons is such a tool.

FJA
07-08-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by SouthBendSox
3 of 4 reccomended Thomas

can you guess what the lone dissenter was and what his choice was ????? :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :)

You know what killed me about it too? Boston ADMITTED that Thomas should be there, but then talked about how great Varitek is among catchers.

Something to the effect of, "I agree Thomas should be there, but Jason Veritek leads catchers in OPS, etc."

FJA
07-08-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
Surprise surprise, Gammons took Varitek. The other two (Reynolds and Showalter) said Thomas. Gammons is such a tool.

It was Ravech and Valentine, but I think we all can agree that Gammons is a tool.

WhiteSoxWinner
07-08-2003, 11:53 PM
My bad. I heard the story in the background, but mistook the names. Thanks for the correction.

Bucktown
07-08-2003, 11:59 PM
Tonight's performances doesn't help the cause. Varitek was big in Boston (http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/news/bos_gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20030708&content_id=415576&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos) and no one was big for our pale hose.

MarkEdward
07-09-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by FJA
You know what killed me about it too? Boston ADMITTED that Thomas should be there, but then talked about how great Varitek is among catchers.

Something to the effect of, "I agree Thomas should be there, but Jason Veritek leads catchers in OPS, etc."

Isn't that pretty much true though?

FJA
07-09-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
Isn't that pretty much true though?

It's definitely true, but the way he said it was like "Well, yeah, Frank deserves to go, but I just can't bring myself to vote for anyone other than a BoSox player. You shouldn't be able to either."

MarkEdward
07-09-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by FJA
It's definitely true, but the way he said it was like "Well, yeah, Frank deserves to go, but I just can't bring myself to vote for anyone other than a BoSox player. You shouldn't be able to either."

I still don't see your point. If Varitek is the best catcher in the AL, shouldn't he be in the All Star Game?

Clembasbal
07-09-2003, 11:23 AM
Varietk is the 2nd best catcher, but at the same time Thomas is the 2nd best 1B. He has better number than Sweeney and Giambi's are similar.

WE will just have to vote and see I guess.

:gulp:

Randar68
07-09-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Clembasbal
Varietk is the 2nd best catcher, but at the same time Thomas is the 2nd best 1B. He has better number than Sweeney and Giambi's are similar.

WE will just have to vote and see I guess.

:gulp:

And better numbers than Edgar, who was voted in as DH.

FJA
07-09-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward
I still don't see your point. If Varitek is the best catcher in the AL, shouldn't he be in the All Star Game?

The point isn't whether or not Varitek deserves to be there or not. He got snubbed in the players vote for backup catcher ... he should be there. I think he should be there as the backup.

However, I also think Frank should be there as the backup DH/1B, and the fact is, we can only vote for one.

The 32nd man ballot isn't so much to find a fielder as it is to find a bat. If it was to find a fielder, it wouldn't make sense to put two catchers against two first basemen and an outfielder. Gammons agreed Frank should be there, but then took a quick turn to make a case for Veritek, almost as if he couldn't stop himself. That's my only point.