PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Konerko Get So Much Slack?

dzipio
07-08-2003, 11:58 PM
When anybody else on the team screws up regularly or stinks up the ballpark announcers and analysts are all over them (Koch, Jimenez etc.) Why does Konerko get a pass? If I hear that he hit one real hard, but right at someone one more time I'm gonna be sick :angry: . Who cares? You're supposed to hit 'em where they ain't!

So why does Konerko, who I liked last year, but who sucks with a capital UCKS have everybody feeling sorry for poor Paulie :whiner: This guy is costing us games and he is keeping us from signing people because of his enormous, unearned salary.

guillen4life13
07-09-2003, 01:11 AM
I have to say, that I've been a huge Konerko sympathizer(sp?), but I think I've lost my patience with him. I really thought that that homer against the Twinks would spark him, but since then he hasn't gotten a hit.

Trade him.

voodoochile
07-09-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by dzipio
When anybody else on the team screws up regularly or stinks up the ballpark announcers and analysts are all over them (Koch, Jimenez etc.) Why does Konerko get a pass? If I hear that he hit one real hard, but right at someone one more time I'm gonna be sick :angry: . Who cares? You're supposed to hit 'em where they ain't!

So why does Konerko, who I liked last year, but who sucks with a capital UCKS have everybody feeling sorry for poor Paulie :whiner: This guy is costing us games and he is keeping us from signing people because of his enormous, unearned salary.

Welcome Aboard! :D:

Bigger question. Why does Manuel keep playing him?

compy75
07-09-2003, 01:50 AM
What is hard to swallow is these two things:

1) He has 300 Abs and still hasn't produced an average above the Mendoza line

2) He isn't even hitting for power when he does gets hits. This isn't a Rob Deer .176 32 HR season...

Iguana775
07-09-2003, 10:51 AM
Like someone said before....Paulie does need some at bats and you'd think you'd be safe to play him agains the kitties. but I guess not. He should not be playing 1st though (DH). Franks has proven he is a lot better at 1st.

voodoochile
07-09-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by compy75

2) He isn't even hitting for power when he does gets hits. This isn't a Rob Deer .176 32 HR season...

Welcome Aboard! :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
07-09-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by compy75

Welcome to WSI. :redneck

I agree with you about Konehead. He has become Rob Deer without the power. In other words, he is worthless.

I said weeks ago we would know by the all-star game if Paul was truly through. I'm declaring it officially over a few days early.

Paul Konerko is finished.

This isn't a mental thing. And this isn't a timing or mechanics thing either. He has sucked for 3 straight months! Unless Paul Konerko is seriously hurt-- and he has repeatedly denied any such injury-- then Paul Konerko is through as a major league ballplayer. As a firstbasemen, I'm not convinced he was ever more than a middling ballplayer to begin with. His salary is outrageous.

Put a fork in 'em. He's done.

:walnuts ------> equals -----> :turkeys

Gobble, gobble.

lowesox
07-09-2003, 11:18 AM
Because, watching him, you can tell it's killing him. And that he really wants it. With a guy like Jimenez you can tell the game means less. I've read that Konerko's been working overtime trying to resolve this. Is it never acceptable, in your eyes, for a player to not be at the top of his game? I think as fans, its not really fair to just jump all over a player who's struggling. A little bit of evaluation is good first.

And, although he's struggling he did hit a really important homerun for us last week.

guillen4life13
07-09-2003, 11:27 AM
The thing about his situation is that you can tell it's hurting him more than anyone else. I feel bad for him, but at the same time, he's not helping the club, and the club needs to find some way to get him out of there. He's frustrated and he knows he's not at his normal standard, and I think the frustration might now be from the possibility that something else is going on that's out of his control. We've all heard about the hip. There would be no reason at all for him, or the club to affirm the theory.

Any hitting experts on the boards: does it look like some of his mechanics are off or what?

FarmerAndy
07-09-2003, 11:41 AM
Konerko gets sympathy because he hasn't complained about being benched, hasn't disrupted the team by having a bad attitude, and he hasn't blamed anybody but himself for his shortcomings. I think he's been a real class act through all of this.

That being said, he is done. It would be hard to trade him, he makes too much money. He needs to be shipped to AAA or released.

joecrede
07-09-2003, 12:05 PM
For his own good and for the good of the team, Konerko should request to be sent to Charlotte. Certainly it's a major ego hit, but years ago Ron Gant went down to Triple-A after becoming an established major leaguer. Until he makes such a request, I have a hard time buying him being a team player.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by joecrede
For his own good and for the good of the team, Konerko should request to be sent to Charlotte. Certainly it's a major ego hit, but years ago Ron Gant went down to Triple-A after becoming an established major leaguer. Until he makes such a request, I have a hard time buying him being a team player.

Exactly right, joe. Everyone sees Paul hanging his head after every weak grounder and pop-fly and feels sympathy for how bad he feels for making another out. The fact is the Sox can't send Paul to AAA unless Paul requests it. Konerko has not made any such request. That's why I'm far more skeptical than everyone else who believes he is a team player. He ain't a team player anymore folks.

Furthermore, I'm pretty tired of watching Konerko's hang-dog routine at the plate. It's been 3 months and he does the same thing every time, plowing the head of the bat into the dirt and tucking his chin before leaving the batter's box. After 3 months, I would much rather see him run to first, pivot, head back across the diamond, scamper down the dugout stairs, and high-tail it down the tunnel back into the clubhouse. If he wants to put on a show about how frustrated he is, I would prefer we fans read about it in tomorrow's newspapers after he trashes the big-screen TV and post-game buffet table.

I'm sick of it.

Paulwny
07-09-2003, 01:50 PM
Joe and PHG have hit the nail on the head.
The so called " team leader" has forgotten there's no I IN THE WORD TEAM.
He's become an anchor on this team.

Iguana775
07-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Joe and PHG have hit the nail on the head.
The so called " team leader" has forgotten there's no I IN THE WORD TEAM.
He's become an anchor on this team.

But the word ME is. :)

PaleHoseGeorge
07-09-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
But the word ME is. :)

:KW
"Paul, if you're looking for some pointers on how to flip over the buffet table, I'm there for ya!"

:smile:

Jjav829
07-09-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Welcome to WSI. :redneck

I agree with you about Konehead. He has become Rob Deer without the power. In other words, he is worthless.

I said weeks ago we would know by the all-star game if Paul was truly through. I'm declaring it officially over a few days early.

Paul Konerko is finished.

This isn't a mental thing. And this isn't a timing or mechanics thing either. He has sucked for 3 straight months! Unless Paul Konerko is seriously hurt-- and he has repeatedly denied any such injury-- then Paul Konerko is through as a major league ballplayer. As a firstbasemen, I'm not convinced he was ever more than a middling ballplayer to begin with. His salary is outrageous.

Put a fork in 'em. He's done.

:walnuts ------> equals -----> :turkeys

Gobble, gobble.

Just out of curiosity, do you believe Pat Burrell is done too?

RKMeibalane
07-09-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Just out of curiosity, do you believe Pat Burrell is done too?

I think Burrell's power numbers are better, which has spared him from being paired with Konerko for the time being.

Jjav829
07-09-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I think Burrell's power numbers are better, which has spared him from being paired with Konerko for the time being.

Burrell is having a horrible year. Of course that guys swing is completely messed up right now.

RKMeibalane
07-09-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Burrell is having a horrible year. Of course that guys swing is completely messed up right now.

Burrell has been horrible. He can't even hit Mets pitching right now, and that's saying something. He has made a living eating Mets pitchers alive, but he hasn't done anything against them this year. No wonder Bowa is always screaming.