PDA

View Full Version : Why the Sox are under .500

hose
07-08-2003, 09:13 PM
Their record against Detroit, Cleveland, Tampa Bay and Baltimore is 15-14.

6-4 vs. Detroit - 9 more games
4-6 vs. Cleveland - 10 more games
1-2 vs. Tampa Bay - 3 more games
4-2 vs. Baltimore - finished

Sox have to start beating these teams up. Take 7 from Detroit, 6 from Cleveland and 3 from Tampa Bay to at least salvage the rest of the year.

voodoochile
07-08-2003, 09:23 PM
:jerry
"Perhaps you've seen me. I'm not a real baseball manager, but I play one on TV. I can do a double switch with the best of them and I'm adept at lefty-righty matchups. I can burn through a bullpen and put my guys in a position to fail with the best of them. However, what I really excel at is giving the guys a challenge. I love to rest my best players on a regular basis against bad teams. I figure it accomplishes a bunch of things. First, it makes the guys who are playing play harder, because they know they have to pick up the slack for the guys I have on the bench. Second, it inspires the other team making them play very hard when they realize we aren't playing our best players. That makes the games closer and fires my guys up even more. Third, it gives me lots and lots of late inning flexibility. So when the game turns into a 1-run nail-biter, I can pull out my best hitters to pinch hit when the bases are empty and two guys are out. Only a realy genius can see all the possible ways to motivate a team. I know them all..."

whitesoxwilkes
07-08-2003, 09:29 PM
Do you realize that we are responsible for nearly 25% of the Tigers' wins this year?

hose
07-08-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by whitesoxwilkes
Do you realize that we are responsible for nearly 25% of the Tigers' wins this year?

"Yes I do and when I get done with my shift me and the other Cabana boys are going to party."

:garner

duke of dorwood
07-08-2003, 10:04 PM
:jerry

24 players? Endless lineup possibilities?

Thats why this team is under .500.

Simply the worst manager I have ever seen.

xil357
07-09-2003, 08:11 AM
I've always liked Jerry but the constant lineup shuffles are becoming increasingly intolerable. I at least could understand the changes when the team as a whole was not hitting in May and early June. But now that they have shown they can produce big time with the additions of Everett and Alomar, it is time to go with a set lineup through the All Star Break and beyond. And this set lineup needs to feature Konerko riding the pine or on a DL-related rehab stint in Charlotte in the hopes of fixing whatever is wrong with him.

Against right-handed pitching:

2B Robbie
SS Manos
1B Hurt
RF Maggs
CF Everett
LF Lee
DH Daubach
3B Crede
C Olivo / Sandy

and against lefties:

2B Robbie
SS Manos
1B Hurt
RF Maggs
DH Everett
LF Lee
3B Crede
CF Rowand
C Olivo/ Sandy

LauraJ14
07-09-2003, 08:29 AM
Maybe the Sox could get over .500 and stay over if they could win a few more games in a row instead of win 2 lose 2 etc. The longest winning streak of the year is 4 games. This team has the ability to do a lot better than that. Maybe Jerry can die his hair blond if they win 5 games in a row!!!

Clarkdog
07-09-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by LauraJ14
Maybe the Sox could get over .500 and stay over if they could win a few more games in a row instead of win 2 lose 2 etc. The longest winning streak of the year is 4 games. This team has the ability to do a lot better than that. Maybe Jerry can die his hair blond if they win 5 games in a row!!!

This team can't string together wins simply because Manuel does not deliver a consistent approach to the lineup day in and day out. Therein lies the reason that Manuel's record as a manager has always hovered around .500, and that this team can never seem to get over .500 and stay there.

STOP THE TINKERING! :angry:

harwar
07-09-2003, 09:46 AM
I've had a picture of manuel over my dartboard in the gameroom for some time now.I can't stand the guy.It seems all hes' worried about at this time is that he needs to go out and argue during every game and get thrown out because everyone said he was too quiet and laid back.He's really very pathetic and sad.
Look at the marlins.They were a dead team going NOWHERE and all they did was change managers and POOF they have been a different team ever since and winning.

guillen4life13
07-09-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by xil357
I've always liked Jerry but the constant lineup shuffles are becoming increasingly intolerable. I at least could understand the changes when the team as a whole was not hitting in May and early June. But now that they have shown they can produce big time with the additions of Everett and Alomar, it is time to go with a set lineup through the All Star Break and beyond. And this set lineup needs to feature Konerko riding the pine or on a DL-related rehab stint in Charlotte in the hopes of fixing whatever is wrong with him.

Against right-handed pitching:

2B Robbie
SS Manos
1B Hurt
RF Maggs
CF Everett
LF Lee
DH Daubach
3B Crede
C Olivo / Sandy

and against lefties:

2B Robbie
SS Manos
1B Hurt
RF Maggs
DH Everett
LF Lee
3B Crede
CF Rowand
C Olivo/ Sandy

Only change I would make there would be to switch Manos with Graffy in the against lefties column. We all know about Manos' BA as a righty.