PDA

View Full Version : Rant

balboner
07-08-2003, 09:34 PM
This is a bunch of crap right now. First, how can you win with two guys in line-up that are 1 for last 45 combined like Konerko and Olivo. Second, I didnt know we gave up some good prospects for Everett to be a pinch-hitter. Wouldnt it be nice if an umpire screwed the other team JUST ONCE! Sox have gotten no breaks this year from the umpires at all.

SouthBendSox
07-08-2003, 09:38 PM
very good points

JM must go

DonkeyKongerko
07-08-2003, 09:48 PM
The umps have been tough on us but the Sox shouldn't have even been in that situation today. The ump thing is just magnified because it happened in the 9th inning and we had only scored one run the entire game against a AAA pitching staff. Absolutely pathetic.

QueerGirrl
07-08-2003, 10:50 PM
You are absolutely right Donkey, those crappy calls by the ump should have been moot. Why do we suck against teams like the Devil Rays and Detroit? It dosen't make sense. :?:

jcw218
07-09-2003, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by QueerGirrl
Why do we suck against teams like the Devil Rays and Detroit? It dosen't make sense. :?:

It is my belief that the Sox have the knack of playing to the level of their competition. The better the team that we face the better we play. The Sox, for whatever reason, do not play well against pitchers that they are facing for the first time.

SouthBendSox
07-09-2003, 02:03 AM
the sox have very very very low on-base % as a team

i think that taking walks is something that you can do to ride out slumps and continue to help the team (ala Frank)

this team is too strreaky with the bat

and manual sucks

pudge
07-09-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by SouthBendSox
the sox have very very very low on-base % as a team

i think that taking walks is something that you can do to ride out slumps and continue to help the team (ala Frank)

this team is too strreaky with the bat

and manual sucks

I really wish we could change our hitting philosophy as a team... we had ZERO walks against the Tigers. ZERO. You'll never win a game that way, even against the worst team.

We seem to focus a lot more in big games. I hope we somehow survive this month.

jcw218
07-09-2003, 03:17 AM
Olivo will be a very good catcher in the years to come. While his hitting needs improvement, his biggest asset at the moment is his arm. He has the ability to deter if not stop completely the opponents running game. We should also consider the following:

1. The Sox haven't had a catcher that was considered as on offensive weapon since the days of Carlton Fisk, and

2. Sandy is 37 years old. He was signed as a backup and to teach Olivo and Paul (now with the scrubs). He knew that was his role going into the season.

3. Olivo made the jump from AA level to the majors. I'm not making excuses for his poor hitting, but lets give him the benefit of the doubt that his hitting will improve in the future.