PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Game Day Thread - Tuesday, 7/8 Vs. Kitties

voodoochile
07-08-2003, 06:38 PM
Use this thread for all game related comments. All others will be delted. The chat room is open.

Go Sox!

If you are on-line, wouldn't you rather be voting for Frank?

whitesoxwilkes
07-08-2003, 07:16 PM
Massive tinkering tonight: Frank DH, Konerko at 1B, Graffy at short, Rowand in CF...no Everett.

And they go 1-2-3 in the first to Wil Ledezma.

Saracen
07-08-2003, 07:27 PM
JM said he wanted to give Everett 2 days in a row off because he had to do some kind of charity event Friday & has been travelling all over the place lately.

Jurr
07-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Sox would ideally win 6 of the next 7. You've gotta win in these situations. So far, a bunch of pop outs, and we're looking like the old "Can't hit a new guy" Sox.

soxrme
07-08-2003, 07:33 PM
We scored a lot of runs Sunday and that must make for a boring time on the bench. We have to change things when that happens.
Why go with big MO. :smile:

LuvSox
07-08-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Saracen
JM said he wanted to give Everett 2 days in a row off because he had to do some kind of charity event Friday & has been travelling all over the place lately.

JM is such a nice guy! :angry: Konerko and Rowand don't win titles.

balboner
07-08-2003, 07:46 PM
I'm so sick of Manuel's tinkering. Olivo is 0-last 22, and Sandy had 3 hits on Sunday. So, why is Olivo playing tonight? Of course, he promptly hits into a DP. Another no name pitcher that will shut down and beat the Sox. Are scouting team must be awful.

ssang
07-08-2003, 08:10 PM
Damnit Jerr Manuel!!! Is there any way that KW can package Manuel in a trade to the D-Rays so we can somehow get Lou Pinella? I mean he goes with Konerko? Grafannino? Olivio? Rowand? All in the starting lineup at once!!?!?! I swear taht Manuel wants us to lose the majority of games vs the pathetic, weak, meager, awful, terrible D-Rays, Tigers, and Indians. I hate you Jerry!

voodoochile
07-08-2003, 08:15 PM
It would be a really really good idea to score at least a run this half inning. The weather that was in Chicago is arriving in Detroit and the TV pictures do NOT make it look like this one will go 9.

SoxxoS
07-08-2003, 08:18 PM
Paul Konerko should absolutely positively NOT be swinging at ANY pitch on a 2-0 count.

Unregistered
07-08-2003, 08:20 PM
today's lineup has WAY too many holes in it... I don't think we're gonna string together any kind of consecutive hits, so it looks like our best bet is the long ball today... :(:

balboner
07-08-2003, 08:24 PM
Jesus does Olivo look horrible right now. Also, it was nice to see Konerko refuse to walk and swing at some bad pitches. This team sucks, we just got the Twins and Cubs when they were playing bad.

Unregistered
07-08-2003, 08:28 PM
btw, is it just me or is Frank 0-fer since sweeping the Twins, when he said he was going to give all of his AB's ''everything [he] had"? :o:

SoxxoS
07-08-2003, 08:29 PM
Nice play Mags!!!

Unregistered
07-08-2003, 08:30 PM
(great plays by Graff and Maggs in that last half...)

Unregistered
07-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Ledezma out... here comes a guy with a 16.38 ERA. Expect the worst.

Unregistered
07-08-2003, 08:33 PM
This guy always brings in a run or two...
:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

SoxxoS
07-08-2003, 08:34 PM
We need a little Victor E. to help this pathetic effort

ilsox7
07-08-2003, 08:35 PM
btw, is it just me or is Frank 0-fer since sweeping the Twins, when he said he was going to give all of his AB's ''everything [he] had"?

He had 2 doubles in one of the games vs. TB.

Unregistered
07-08-2003, 08:39 PM
3rd double play of the game for the Sox. This is reminding me way too much of that pathetic effort in Tampa Bay on Saturday...

balboner
Why do sox players refuse to walk? We've been swinging at changeups in the dirt the entire game. Also, I think I've seen enough of the Carlos Lee era. His D has improved, but his batting eye and swing have gone down a ton this year.

SoxxoS
This is one of the worst efforts/lineups I have seen all year, and their have been a lot of both...

Except for Jon Garland.

balboner
07-08-2003, 08:40 PM
There's one constant on this team that keeps playing horrible baseball vs bad teams. That would be Jerry Manuel!

voodoochile
07-08-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
3rd double play of the game for the Sox. This is reminding me way too much of that pathetic effort in Tampa Bay on Saturday...

While I agree the team looks a bit flat (again). That DP was just bad luck. Rowand broke for second on the 3-2 to Frank. Frank hit a soft liner that was headed for CF, but the 2B was running to cover the bag and just kept going to the ball. Rowand was almost at the bag when the ball was caught. He had no chance.

SoxxoS
07-08-2003, 08:41 PM
That last double play was just bad luck, however.

Jurr
07-08-2003, 08:41 PM
Yeah...Jerry Manuel just hit that double play liner. Dunce.

Unregistered
07-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by balboner
There's one constant on this team that keeps playing horrible baseball vs bad teams. That would be Jerry Manuel! Apparently Jerry seems to liken these games to Spring Training, "experimenting" with lineups, putting ALL of the struggling players in the lineup at once, etc., instead of trying to use these games as way for us to work our way up the standings with seemingly easy wins.

voodoochile
07-08-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Jurr
Yeah...Jerry Manuel just hit that double play liner. Dunce.

Is there a point to this coment? Just curious. I mean, are you defending Manuel? Are you making some comment on the seeming endless supply of anti-Jerry sentiment that many of us feel and express?

You honestly think JM gives the team the best chance to win, night after night? If not, when does he hurt the team? Would tonight's lineup be an example?

I think I finally figured out why Jerry is constantly resting guys. See, he sucked as a professionabl ballplayer. My theory is that he was too damn tired to give it his all. As a result, when he became manager, he just assumed that was true of everyone. Someone needs to tell him that it is only the crappy players who need regular time off.

On the other hand, maybe his tinkering is just his way of making the games fairer for the crappy teams the Sox should be beating the living snot out of...

Unregistered
07-08-2003, 08:47 PM
OK, Maggs with the leadoff 2B. Now lets pretend we know how to manufacture runs. Move the guy to third. Sac him home. Tie the game.

voodoochile
07-08-2003, 08:50 PM
And DP grounder #4 ties the score. Well done, Paulie. You may not be completely worthless after all...

Unregistered
Konerko up... HAD TO know he was gonna hit into the DP. But, ties the game. 1-1

balboner
WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT? Manuel is a fricking moron. We have Daubach and Everett off the bench, and he lets Konerko swing away. Big shock, who would have predicted a DP there!

A.T. Money
07-08-2003, 08:51 PM
Konerko is such a rally killer. Ugh, I don't care if it's Detroit or not......BENCH HIM!

SoxxoS
07-08-2003, 08:52 PM
Paul Konerko is cursed. Cursed or injured...one of the two. Therefore, he shouldn't be playing. I realize Manuel has to get a 24 million dollar man at bats, but he shouldnt be starting. He has to seriously be on pace for the most double plays in a season. He his two deep balls his first two at bats, and when we need him to hit a deep fly ball in his third at bat, he hits into a double play.

Unregistered
07-08-2003, 08:52 PM
WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT? Manuel is a fricking moron. We have Daubach and Everett off the bench, and he lets Konerko swing away. Big shock, who would have predicted a DP there! Best part of that AB? Konerko looking to the sky after hitting the DP, as if to say "What the hell did I ever do to you?!?" (or maybe he was just seeing if it was going to rain...)

SoxxoS
07-08-2003, 08:53 PM
If Garland doesn't get a "W" for this performance, that is a major, major dissapointment.

:reinsy

Less wins, Less $$$ at arbitration.

ChiSox7
07-08-2003, 08:54 PM
u gotta be kidding. this team is embarassing

SoxxoS
As I post that, Pena hits a solo home run.

A.T. Money
2-1 Detroit. It took us 7 innings to score, and they answer right back.

The White Sox suck.

Unregistered
07-08-2003, 08:56 PM
Are the Sox seriously going to lose 3 of the first 4 games against the 2 WORST TEAMS IN BASEBALL?!?

And for those of you who didn't catch it, Hawk mentioned that Carl Everett was hitting BP Homers OUT of the park before the game. Good idea benching him.

SoxxoS
5-3 Minnesota, bottom of 3 at the ballpark in Arlington.

We are going to lose 3 of 4 to the Devil Rays/Tigers if we dont watch ourselves.

balboner
There is absolutely ZERO intensity being shown by the Sox tonight. This is embarassing. Our manager is clueless as well. Olivo better not bat in the 8th

soxrme
07-08-2003, 08:58 PM
WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT? Manuel is a fricking moron. We have Daubach and Everett off the bench, and he lets Konerko swing away. Big shock, who would have predicted a DP there!
I agree, a good manager would have pinch hit then. He will probably cost us another game.

voodoochile
07-08-2003, 09:01 PM
:everett:
"Thank Goodness for Jerry. I was too damn tired to do more than get one hit in one at bat tonight. If I have to run around these bases, I'm not sure I'll make it."

SoxxoS
07-08-2003, 09:01 PM
Sometimes the player talent level wins games for you. This team has too much talent to be really BAD. Jerry Manuel is doing all in his power to put them in the best possible situation to lose.

As I write that, the "tired" Carl Everett rips a single to left field. Yes, the same "exausted" Everett who was hitting BP over statues at Comerica.

soxrme
07-08-2003, 09:03 PM
Gee Everott got a hit!! That probably would have scored a run if he had PINCH HIT FOR KONERKO :angry: :angry:

SoxxoS
07-08-2003, 09:04 PM
This team deserves to lose today. No intensity or anything. A complete joke. This team we saw today is not a division champion team.

losing 3 out of 4 to the DRays and Tigers what a f-in joke.

FJA
07-08-2003, 09:06 PM
This is seriously sickening through 7 1/2.

Jurr
07-08-2003, 09:06 PM
Did this whole trade thing totally screw up Chemistry?????? Damn it!!!!!!!!!!

ChiSox7
07-08-2003, 09:07 PM
i agree with soxxos. this is just embarassing. if its the yanks and bosox thats one thing. We just got hot cause we got hot with the HRs. Now that thats gone, no offense at all

SoxxoS
07-08-2003, 09:10 PM
This team is definitely the team I remember from earlier in the season, not the one that beat the Twins and Cubs. Not having Carl Everett and benching Valentin and Daubach was very, very stupid, though.

SoxxoS
07-08-2003, 09:10 PM
Time to watch the movie I just rented- "Catch me if you can"

Ive had it today with this crap.

Unregistered
07-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Q: How do you get 9 hits, 1 EVERY inning after the first, and (barely) score a single run?

A: Pepper your lineup with the struggling rally killers hitting .183, .217 and .228.

:jerry
"Works every time."

SoxxoS
07-08-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Q: How do you get 9 hits, 1 EVERY inning after the first, and (barely) score a single run?

A: Pepper your lineup with the struggling rally killers hitting .183, .217 and .228.

:jerry
"Works every time."

I dont have a problem with Rowand since he is hitting now, but I have a major problem with Konerko and Graff being in the lineup. I think we can all be millionaires if we bet against the Sox when they face left handers, because Jerry Manuel trots out that rediculous lineup.

SoxxoS
07-08-2003, 09:15 PM
One last thing, I dont think the Sox realize that these games against the D-Rays and the Tigers count exactly the same as wins against the Cubs and Yankees.

Unregistered
07-08-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I dont have a problem with Rowand since he is hitting now, but I have a major problem with Konerko and Graff being in the lineup. I think we can all be millionaires if we bet against the Sox when they face left handers, because Jerry Manuel trots out that rediculous lineup. I was referring to Konerko, Olivo and Crede, Respectively. Aaron's been swinging a luke-warm bat lately, so I'll cut him some slack...

WhiteSoxWinner
07-08-2003, 09:19 PM
Tom Gordon coming though in the clutch!!! Nice!!

Unregistered
07-08-2003, 09:20 PM
:tgordon:
"You'll have to ask him yourself, but I think Flash is on a roll."

RKMeibalane
07-08-2003, 09:21 PM
Jerry Manuel had better apprecicate his time as the Sox manager, because once somebody fires his ass, he won't manage again in Major League Baseball.

Unregistered
07-08-2003, 09:21 PM
Well, worked the first time...
:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

RKMeibalane
07-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Why is Frank at DH again? Manuel has absolutely no concept of how to manage. Frank needs to play first base every single game. Why is this so hard for Manuel to understand?

i_luv_jgarland
07-08-2003, 09:23 PM
I walked away from the game for a few minutes so I could be wrong..... but this is what I saw.

They took Garland out in the 8th when he allowed someone on 1st. They replaced him with Marte. <here is where I walk away> I come back and bases are loaded!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the relief pitchers supposed to come in and CLEAN UP messes? Not make BIGGER ones!?!? Marte is constantly doing this? Please tell me if I am wrong.. or if I am not, tell me what we are going to do about it!!!!!

:angry:

WhiteSoxWinner
07-08-2003, 09:24 PM
We're going to send in Flash Gordon to get us out of the jam. That's what we're going to do!!!

Unregistered
btw, Victor E. Banana can't do much about BULLS**T ump calls... :angry:

OEO Magglio
Hey ump ever heard of appealing?

ChiSox7
07-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Haha. And this team was talking about a pennant. We surely won't win a pennant playing like this against ANYONE.

WhiteSoxWinner
07-08-2003, 09:27 PM
Well, the ump took us out of the game in the ninth, but in all honesty, we should not have been in a position of down a run in the bottom of the ninth against a team like the Kitties.

Tavarin
07-08-2003, 09:28 PM
This umpire is full of ****. You ask for help on check swings, yer not an all seeing god.

Maggs and Frank both checked their swings, and you could tell the ump knew he was wrong, because he didn't let Maggs talk at all.

What a dick

But, grounding into 4 DPs is just ridiculous.

RKMeibalane
07-08-2003, 09:30 PM
Let's see if I can get this right. The Sox won their game on Sunday. Today, Jerry Manuel tinkered with the lineup again, and they lost.

Earth to Jerry: When are you going to realize that you need stop tinkering? You've admitted it usually doesn't work. Why do you keep doing it? You're costing this team crucial games.

-----> :jerry

****ing idiot

SoxxoS
Nothing against voodoo, but please we can't name this thread "07-08 against the Kitties"

As soon as I saw that today, I had that feeling we were going to lose. The Sox aren't good enough to be giving other teams inferior nicknames.

What can I say, I'm superstitious.

oheeoh...magglio
i could give a s*** less about the umpires, one run against the tigers, that is pathetic this team is going nowhere until manuel is gone. I'm tired of his tinkering bulls***!!! :angry:

FJA
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
Well, the ump took us out of the game in the ninth, but in all honesty, we should not have been in a position of down a run in the bottom of the ninth against a team like the Kitties.

Exactly. KW f'n better turn over some tables after this one. It makes me physically sick to my stomach when we waste great (not good, great except for Marte) pitching performances like that.

Also, if I see another lineup card like this one ... I don't know what I'll do, but I'll do something. JM is not a good enough manager to get a bunch of chumps to hit.

Unregistered
07-08-2003, 09:31 PM
What a piece of crap game. One of the worst of the year, EASILY. Jerry, your lineup SUCKED ASS. If we don't win the next 5 of 6, we end up with a .500 (or worse) record against the 3 WORST TEAMS IN THE LEAGUE. :angry:

SoxxoS
07-08-2003, 09:33 PM
Garland gets the loss, what a dad gum joke.

Loiaza lost 1-0 against this freaking team.

On the bright side, we could take these next two games. We have to win series, not necessarily sweep. This isn't a sweep team, because of the inconsistancy with the bats and the manager.

Minnesota was up 5-0 in the third, now they are losing 6-5. Lohse has got some issues.

K.C. is playing Anaheim for 3 games, they are about due for another win.

Very frustrating loss, but lets come back and get them the next two.

WhiteSoxWinner
07-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by FJA
Exactly. KW f'n better turn over some tables after this one. It makes me physically sick to my stomach when we waste great (not good, great except for Marte) pitching performances like that.

Also, if I see another lineup card like this one ... I don't know what I'll do, but I'll do something. JM is not a good enough manager to get a bunch of chumps to hit.

I agree with you in principle, but Manual should be flipping tables. KW's place is not in the clubhouse. (Although JM is showing he shouldn't be in the clubhouse either. Kind of a catch 22 there, eh?)

What KW should do is call JM into his office and ask him what heck he is doing benching a hot hitter in Daubach, putting Thomas back at DH when he was CLEARLY hitting better when playing first, and ask why a guy like Everett is sitting when it sounds like he was crushing the ball in BP.

cheeses_h_rice
07-08-2003, 09:36 PM
This team wouldn't know the meaning of the phrase "to capitalize on..." if it bit them in the g*@damn ass.

Pathetic.

WhiteSoxWinner
07-08-2003, 09:39 PM
BTW, Can any JM apologists defend this lineup tonight? I mean the apologists keep saying that JM doesn't hit, field, etc, but he does get to fill out the lineup card. This lineup was CLEARLY inadequate against a team we need to beat handily on a consistent basis if we want to even think about the playoffs.

oheeoh...magglio
07-08-2003, 09:44 PM
manuel is a coach for the al at the all star game i hear, i am gonna be there and i know i'll boo him...this guy is a joke, I could manage better than him, any idiot know putting graffanino, olivo, and konerko in the same lineup is suicide.

hose
07-08-2003, 09:48 PM
Konerko and Olivo are a minimum 8 outs a game . Konerko's outs usually are double plays or rally killers. Olivo simply strikes out, so he is not as dangerous as Paully.

Add in a righthanded hitting Robbie Alomar and that is one weak hitting line up.

LuvSox
07-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
This team wouldn't know the meaning of the phrase "to capitalize on..." if it bit them in the g*@damn ass.

Pathetic.

Pa-****ing-thetic

Chisox353014
07-08-2003, 09:55 PM
I've resisted busting out this tag until now, but there's no more excuses:

:firejerry

If I hadn't sat through that agonizing 1-0 loss against Detroit in person I would say this was the most pathetic performance of the year. I'm getting pretty damn sick of seeing the Tigers walk off the field all wearing that shocked "Little Leaguers who just won their first game ever" smile on their faces.

Jerko
07-08-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
One last thing, I dont think the Sox realize that these games against the D-Rays and the Tigers count exactly the same as wins against the Cubs and Yankees.

AMEN! SOMEBODY better tell this team that all the games count. Doesn't seem like anybody associated with this team at the present time realizes as much.

Jerko
07-08-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
manuel is a coach for the al at the all star game i hear, i am gonna be there and i know i'll boo him...this guy is a joke, I could manage better than him, any idiot know putting graffanino, olivo, and konerko in the same lineup is suicide.

I call them the ofer boys: Graffanino-fer, Konerko-fer, and Olivo-fer. Kind of reminds me of the days when the manager at the time used to put Julio-fer Ramierz and Harold Baines in the same lineup. Oh wait, for some reason it's the same manager. Sorry. But since he doesn't hit or pitch for this team nothing can be his fault. Again, I apologize.

Jerko
07-08-2003, 10:05 PM
The White Sox gave them thier first win of the season. The White Sox gave Mike Maroth his first win of the season when he was 0-9. The White Sox were shut out 1-0 by them, and 2 of the Tigers' 9 home wins are vs. the White Sox. I think Victor E. Banana's brother Pit E. Ful should be our new mascot.

HawkDJ
07-08-2003, 10:06 PM
A game against a really bad team with a starting pitcher we've never seen before....we should've just forfeited.

Lip Man 1
07-08-2003, 10:08 PM
Another sickening performance, another loss to an awful team. Another abortion against a pitcher making his first ever start!

13-13 now against the Tigers, Indians, Padres and D'Rays this season AFTER STARTING OUT 9-2.

What was that somebody posted last week about "easy games..." ? LOL

Here's another "championship" stat 12-17 in one run games this season!

And how about SIX TOTAL RUNS in the losses to Tampa and Detroit. Disgusting.

Lip

Viva Magglio
07-08-2003, 10:34 PM
I missed the game because I had to go somewhere tonight. I'm glad I did. The issue I have is why we have to make either bad pitchers or new pitchers look like Pedro. We should waste this team, and we lose. What the hell is going on???

Lip Man 1
07-08-2003, 10:38 PM
It's called "inconsistency." The only thing the Sox have been good at since the decade started.

Bonderman goes tomorrow, 2-13 with an ERA over 5.

I figure he'll shut us out.

Lip

oheeoh...magglio
07-08-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
It's called "inconsistency." The only thing the Sox have been good at since the decade started.

Bonderman goes tomorrow, 2-13 with an ERA over 5.

I figure he'll shut us out.

Lip

nah, we will fall behind 2-0, then pinch hit with thomas with nobody on 2 out and get a homer before detroit coaxes the 3rd out and wins 2-1.

StillMissOzzie
07-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Very sad indeed, and pathetic too. a 1-3 start on this road trip against two crappy teams. Yes, the 9th inning umpiring stunk, but again, scoring one lousy run vs. the tiggers is embarrassing. We had no business expecting a win, and it never should have come to that. Garland & Louiza lose two gems to these bums. AND WHAT THE *%^$%$* IS THE DEAL WITH FOUR DOUBLE PLAYS?

One of them was sheer luck on the tiggers' part, but it was a total shock to see Konerko hit into a double play.

Is Paulie now below .190?

:gulp:

Konerkoholic
07-08-2003, 11:14 PM
I was too disgusted to finish this game after the 4TH DP hit into. Seriously, don't these guys have any pride? Like I said before, teams like Boston are licking their chops against guys like Ledezma, not flailing at outside breaking stuff. I think this team needs a closed-door meeting. Those always seem to get things going again.

SouthBendSox
07-08-2003, 11:24 PM
no pride

no pride

oheeoh...magglio
07-08-2003, 11:27 PM
At the rate paulie is going, .150 will be known as "the konerko line"