PDA

View Full Version : AS Question

steff
07-08-2003, 04:14 PM
Help guys.

How many innings does the SP have to pitch to get the win? And I need a link to the information as well. I can't find it anywhere. Not on MLB, not on ESPN...

voodoochile
07-08-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Help guys.

How many innings does the SP have to pitch to get the win? And I need a link to the information as well. I can't find it anywhere. Not on MLB, not on ESPN...

No minimum. They almost always go 3 anyway (though the home team goes 2 when played in NL stadium). You can qualify for the win after 1 inning, but that never happens. Only time a guy gets pulled before the 2nd is if he is getting totally shelled and then they don't qualify for the win anyway...

steff
07-08-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
No minimum. They almost always go 3 anyway (though the home team goes 2 when played in NL stadium). You can qualify for the win after 1 inning, but that never happens. Only time a guy gets pulled before the 2nd is if he is getting totally shelled and then they don't qualify for the win anyway...

Thanks VooDoo. I only found it to have happened once. Lefty Gomez in 1935. He pitched 6 innings and got the win. I could not remember ever seeing the starter win...

A.T. Money
07-08-2003, 05:12 PM
voodoochile, are you sure?

I believe to get a win, a starting pitcher must go 5 innings to make it official. If they leave before that for any reason, they will not get the win. However, you can LOSE a game in the 1st inning.

steff
07-08-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon

I believe to get a win, a starting pitcher must go 5 innings to make it official. If they leave before that for any reason, they will not get the win. However, you can LOSE a game in the 1st inning.

Pedro won (4 years ago..?) and he only went 3.

voodoochile
07-08-2003, 05:17 PM

Pitchers are not allowed to work more than 3 innings in an AS game. Thus they modified the rules.

A.T. Money
07-08-2003, 05:19 PM
Blah, didn't catch that subject. I didn't realize we were talking about the All-Star Game.....

Whoops! :o:

soxrme
07-08-2003, 06:29 PM

Regular season, not AS game.

jortafan
07-09-2003, 08:53 AM
first off, the rules for the All-Star game say no pitcher can go more than three innings anyway. So the rule about needing to pitch five innings to get the win doesn't matter. The win winds up going to whoever is the pitcher of record at the time the winning team takes its lead.

Don't forget the game three years ago when our team's very own James Baldwin was an all-star and only pitched one innning in the middle of the game. It wound up being the inning that the AL team took the lead for good, so a Sox pitcher wound up being the winning all-star game pitcher.

Bottom line, it's an exhibition game. All the more proof that trying to attach deep meaning to it is ridiculous.