PDA

View Full Version : All Star Weekend starts w/o Sox


Fisk72
07-08-2003, 10:52 AM
Does it bother any of you that the Sox are going to be out of town this whole weekend before the All Star game which we HOST?!? I'm not sure who is to blame, but seriously, why have the BBTN guys at Wrigley when every other year, they've had the ESPN desk at the upcoming all star game's site. Then again, I suppose that when people see that the game's gonna be in Chicago, they automatically assume it'll be at Wrigley.

whitesoxwilkes
07-08-2003, 10:53 AM
Ummmm...they have to prep the stadium for the festivities and can't do that when the team is in town.

MarqSox
07-08-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Fisk72
Does it bother any of you that the Sox are going to be out of town this whole weekend before the All Star game which we HOST?!? I'm not sure who is to blame, but seriously, why have the BBTN guys at Wrigley when every other year, they've had the ESPN desk at the upcoming all star game's site. Then again, I suppose that when people see that the game's gonna be in Chicago, they automatically assume it'll be at Wrigley.

This happens every year. The host team has to go on the road the week before the game because MLB needs the field for other stuff like the celebrity game not to mention, it gives the Sox extra time to make the park all pretty. As for BBTN, they've never had a situation where they had games actually going on in the same city for All Star Weekend. I'm sure that, come Monday, they'll move to The Cell.

Hangar18
07-08-2003, 11:19 AM
There will be something Going on Sunday at the Park. The FUTURES GAME and the Celebrity Softball Game will be going on.
Baseball Tonite has no excuse for NOT BEING AT THE PARK WHERE THE ALL-STAR GAME IS ACTUALLY BEING PLAYED. Thats
Ludicrous that theyre broadcasting from the Urinal........

Hangar18
07-08-2003, 11:22 AM
So in other words, Baseball Tonite would Rather Broadcast from a park, while a game is going on in the background, instead of Broadcasting from the Park where the ALL STAR GAME IS ACTUALLY BEING PLAYED, while 2 games are going on in the background. doesnt make any kind of sense to me. MLB has control over that by the way..... Remember when I said for every ONE good thing MLB does (eliminated Sosa from as game)
they do FIVE Stupid things (got rid of players team uniforms for generic ones, letting BBTN broadcast from a park that doesnt haven anything to do w the AS Game etc )

xil357
07-08-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
So in other words, Baseball Tonite would Rather Broadcast from a park, while a game is going on in the background, instead of Broadcasting from the Park where the ALL STAR GAME IS ACTUALLY BEING PLAYED, while 2 games are going on in the background. doesnt make any kind of sense to me. MLB has control over that by the way..... Remember when I said for every ONE good thing MLB does (eliminated Sosa from as game)
they do FIVE Stupid things (got rid of players team uniforms for generic ones, letting BBTN broadcast from a park that doesnt haven anything to do w the AS Game etc )

Not to mention sending the Sox on the road for the three big holiday weekends of the summer -- Memorial Day, July 4th and Labor Day. It's not a conspiracy, but it gives an appearance of impropriety.

steff
07-08-2003, 01:05 PM
Nope. Gotta decorate the park so it looks pretty :D:

Brian26
07-08-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Nope. Gotta decorate the park so it looks pretty :D:

I wonder if they'll color the outfield with any logos like they've done in the past. Didn't they have three giant logos in the outfield for the '83 All-Star Game?

Fisk72
07-08-2003, 01:31 PM
I'm looking forward to see if they'll do anything crazy with the way the grass is cut. I've always been a fan of designs and whatnot cut into the grass. It is a nice spice up to the typical diagonal stripes.

Foulke You
07-08-2003, 01:53 PM
Personally, I sincerely hope the retired numbers are back up by the time the all star game starts. Weren't Sox fans promised that the numbers would be going back up "at a later time". Here we are almost at the all star break and they haven't been put back up yet.

:gallas
"The retired numbers budget was slashed so we could properly compensate the band that played on Caribbean Night."

pl8ump1012
07-08-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
"The retired numbers budget was slashed so we could properly compensate the band that played on Caribbean Night."

i was reallybothered by that band...

Foulke You
07-08-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by pl8ump1012
i was reallybothered by that band...

Yeah, I was at that game and that band was pretty brutal. Unnecessarily delayed the fireworks as well. Oh well, at least we got Jose Cuervo beach towels! :D:

SouthSideHitman
07-08-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Remember when I said for every ONE good thing MLB does (eliminated Sosa from as game)
they do FIVE Stupid things (got rid of players team uniforms for generic ones, letting BBTN broadcast from a park that doesnt haven anything to do w the AS Game etc )

Actually MLB decided to let the players wear their team jerseys after seeing how stupid everyone thought their idea was. And although I perfer the team jerseys, I gotta admit that the league ones for this year are pretty good looking.

Hangar18
07-08-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by SouthSideHitman
Actually MLB decided to let the players wear their team jerseys after seeing how stupid everyone thought their idea was. And although I perfer the team jerseys, I gotta admit that the league ones for this year are pretty good looking.

Where did you hear this? Why was I not informed of this?

steff
07-08-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
Personally, I sincerely hope the retired numbers are back up by the time the all star game starts. Weren't Sox fans promised that the numbers would be going back up "at a later time". Here we are almost at the all star break and they haven't been put back up yet.

:gallas
"The retired numbers budget was slashed so we could properly compensate the band that played on Caribbean Night."

They said at the start of the season they would be put back up after the AS game. All those little pinwheels are in the way right now.

Hangar18
07-08-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
They said at the start of the season they would be put back up after the AS game. All those little pinwheels are in the way right now.

wait....so all the Little Pinwheels are coming down? I wonder
If i can buy a few of those.....put them on my car. Anyone have an answer to my previous query regarding the Uniforms?

Brian26
07-08-2003, 05:38 PM
Hangar-

I can verify it. It's actually old news. Maybe 3 weeks ago they had a story saying they were going to let the players where their actual unis and save the "league uniforms" just for the homerun derby, bp, etc.

steff
07-08-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
wait....so all the Little Pinwheels are coming down? I wonder
If i can buy a few of those.....put them on my car. Anyone have an answer to my previous query regarding the Uniforms?


Geezus Hangar.. stop worrying so much about the Cubs and the media and pay attention to what's going on with the Sox!!

whitesoxwilkes
07-08-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
Where did you hear this? Why was I not informed of this?

I believe Viva Magglio posted something about it.

Viva Magglio News Channel: fair and balanced.