PDA

View Full Version : Dustys a Bigot & Sammy is a Cheater

Hangar18
07-08-2003, 09:01 AM
YET.....the media gathers around his desk of Moses like a bunch of
school girls, waiting for something High Brow and Humourous to spill forth from his lips. AND the other guy, cheats, admits to cheating, then blames the fans for his cheating (putting on a show for them) and the Media is saying HES the one being Cheated now, despite the fact the Fans didnt vote him in.....and the Players didnt vote him in.....and the MLB didnt vote him in.
HEY MEDIA...whose cheating who here?

Soxboyrob
07-08-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
the Media is saying HES the one being Cheated now, despite the fact the Fans didnt vote him in.....and the Players didnt vote him in.....and the MLB didnt vote him in.
HEY MEDIA...whose cheating who here?

Who in the media is saying Sosa has been cheated? I have heard a lot of media conjecture, but pretty much all of it was in support of Sosa not being on the All Star team. I'm still not sure if Greg Couch was trying to support Sosa or not yesterday. In fact, I didn't understand what the hell that column was even about.

Hangar18
07-08-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Who in the media is saying Sosa has been cheated? I have heard a lot of media conjecture, but pretty much all of it was in support of Sosa not being on the All Star team. I'm still not sure if Greg Couch was trying to support Sosa or not yesterday. In fact, I didn't understand what the hell that column was even about.

Couch is saying MLB "Cheated" sosa out of a spot in the AS Game simply because of the cork, and other politically correct reasons.
A load of BS, because as is truth......He wasnt voted in. Morrissey is on the Sosa bandwagon too, so he deserves a Good hard Kick in the Pants.....

xil357
07-08-2003, 09:15 AM
Par for the course for a bandwagoneering, corporate-owned media that seeks to maximize profits through publishing inoffensive consensus pablum that the breeding vacuous lemmings who populate the vast suburban wasteland consume in mass quantities with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

The spheres of information and entertainment have been merging into "infotainment" that is light on substance and heavy on saccharine. The Dusty and Sammy circle-jerk is one of the most obvious manifestations of it.

Hangar18
07-08-2003, 09:16 AM
Dusty is still a Bigot .......
but hes so lovable, and fuzzy blue isnt he? :angry:

xil357
07-08-2003, 09:19 AM
Dusty is still a Bigot .......
but hes so lovable, and fuzzy blue isnt he? :angry:

Hangar, I'll be in Chicago in a few weeks. I think it might be time to dust off those plans to expose Wrigley's 360 foot power alleys.

CiscoCarlos
07-08-2003, 10:23 AM
Actually as a Sox fan I'm beginning to approve of Dusty as a Cubs manager. Your typical Cub fan--enamored with Grudzelanak, Prior, Wood and that overrated reliever with the dog whose name I always forget--must have hated his reverse racist comments yesterday.

When you think about it the Tribune Company probably figured they hired another Colin Powell. Instead they got an African American who dares to think like a lot of other African Americans and who probably can't stand the whole set-up the more he sees of it.

All conjecture on my part with no inside knowledge but hopefully we have another Lee Elia in the makings!

Jerko
07-08-2003, 10:34 AM
Years ago I took a logic class (yes, those exist). In that class I learned a simple formula that maybe, just maybe, Cub fans will be able to follow:

A. If you use a bat with cork in it, that is cheating.
B. Sammy used a bat with cork in it.

THEREFORE

C. Sammy was cheating.

Another one:

A. If you make racist comments, you are a racist.
B. Dusty made racist comments.

THEREFORE

C. Dusty is a racist.

Doesn't Sammy hate racists? THAT'S why Dusty didn't pick him for the all star game. He's mad that Sammy is mad at him.

voodoochile
07-08-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
Years ago I took a logic class (yes, those exist). In that class I learned a simple formula that maybe, just maybe, Cub fans will be able to follow:

THEREFORE

C. Sammy was cheating.

Another one:

THEREFORE

C. Dusty is a racist.

Doesn't Sammy hate racists? THAT'S why Dusty didn't pick him for the all star game. He's mad that Sammy is mad at him.

Great logic, but you can only conclude C if both A and B are actually true. I agree with the first one, but don't necessarily agree with the second one. I'm not sure the second premise is valid. I wish the world were that simple.

Jerko
07-08-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Great logic, but you can only conclude C if both A and B are actually true. I agree with the first one, but don't necessarily agree with the second one. I'm not sure the second premise is valid. I wish the world were that simple.

Hey, I didn't say I passed.....................

Jurr
07-08-2003, 11:00 AM
Dusty and Scammy will be fine. You know the media isn't bothering them. You know they can take the heat. Ouch.

:hawk
I loooove morons.

dougs78
07-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Dusty's comments are indeed ridiculous. I originally thought they must have been out of context or tongue in cheek, but after he verified it today I am shocked. He contends that it is OK to spout off whatever he wants because "thats his opinion."

I think I am still just sort of stunned that he would say something so blatantly racist. He has nothing to back it up, yet somehow attaches this to the concept of slavery. Amazing.

If I am a white player for the Cubs I am pissed about that. Can you imagine a white manager saying "yeah, I really can't play these black players on cold days, becuase they just can't handle the cold." It would be like John Rocker...that man would be forced out of baseball.

It blows my mind that Baker would say something like that.

Those are very racist comments.

Hangar18
07-08-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by xil357
Hangar, I'll be in Chicago in a few weeks. I think it might be time to dust off those plans to expose Wrigley's 360 foot power alleys.

Delta Special Forces will be ready upon notice.... count me in..

steff
07-08-2003, 12:07 PM
Ya know Hangar.. for someone with such detest for the Cubs you sure do post a lot about them... :D:

Hangar18
07-08-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by steff3603
Ya know Hangar.. for someone with such detest for the Cubs you sure do post a lot about them... :D:

Thats my job, as minister of intelligence (I know, cubs dont have any heh heh) and media watchdog

fquaye149
07-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

i also take issue with a

if i held a gun to martin luther king's head and told him to say "i hate darkies" he would have made a racist comment, but yet was not a racist.

or i could jokingly make a racist comment about myself, and would not necessarily be racist.

but your first logical statement regarding sammy was dead on

TornLabrum
07-08-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Jerko

THEREFORE

C. Sammy was cheating.

Another one:

THEREFORE

C. Dusty is a racist.

The obvious thing missing from the Dusty and Sammy Show is Sammy's comments last year that the Cubs can't win pennants because they play all of those games in the hot sun. By Dusty's logic, Sammy, being of African descent and from Latin America, should absolutely love playing in the heat and sun.

"Your Chicago Cubs: Losing Out of Both Sides of Their Mouths"

Hangar18
07-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
The obvious thing missing from the Dusty and Sammy Show is Sammy's comments last year that the Cubs can't win pennants because they play all of those games in the hot sun. By Dusty's logic, Sammy, being of African descent and from Latin America, should absolutely love playing in the heat and sun.

"Your Chicago Cubs: Losing Out of Both Sides of Their Mouths"

HEHHEHEHEHHDHHHAHHAHAHAHA........this is dang funny!

soxrme
07-08-2003, 04:09 PM
The media giant from mvp Bruce Levine, said that he did not mind Dusty's comments because he figured "they" had 30 to 40 years to catch up. Bruce you are a jag-bag. Afraid to go to the clubhouse if you did disagree? Racist comments are racist comments even if dusty said them.

TornLabrum
07-08-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by soxrme
The media giant from mvp Bruce Levine, said that he did not mind Dusty's comments because he figured "they" had 30 to 40 years to catch up. Bruce you are a jag-bag. Afraid to go to the clubhouse if you did disagree? Racist comments are racist comments even if dusty said them.

Cubs fans three weeks ago: "Sammy may be a cheat, but he's our cheat."

Cubs fans this week: "Dusty may be a bigot, but he's our bigot."

One can only wonder what rationalizations they'll have to be making in another three weeks. I imagine it will be: "The Cubs may be losers, but they're our losers."

JJAustin69
07-08-2003, 06:01 PM
Sammy chokes again in the 9th with two on and two out. Must have been the rain. :)

idseer
07-08-2003, 06:09 PM
this is really getting childish.

what is 'racist' about what dusty said?

i swear there's a lot of pc stupidity going around here.

Fridaythe13thJason
07-08-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by idseer
this is really getting childish.

what is 'racist' about what dusty said?

i swear there's a lot of pc stupidity going around here.

Um, he said the dark players are better cause they are from sunny places. THat's not PC garbage...that's racist.

idseer
07-08-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
Um, he said the dark players are better cause they are from sunny places. THat's not PC garbage...that's racist.

um, no he didn't. he said blacks on the whole are better suited to play in the sun and heat.

try untwisting your interpretation and read his quote again.

Fridaythe13thJason
07-08-2003, 09:19 PM
um, no he didn't. he said blacks on the whole are better suited to play in the sun and heat.

try untwisting your interpretation and read his quote again.

Big difference. He still made a baseless statement about the color of his players' skin.

idseer
07-08-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
Big difference. He still made a baseless statement about the color of his players' skin.

wrong again. it was not baseless. it's base is historically accurate.

your problem seems to be that any statement suggesting there may be a difference of ANY sort between races must be a 'racist' comment.

if i say black people, as a whole, are darker skinned than white people, am i being racist?

look, i get that most of you hate baker simply because he's a cub now ... but geez .... get over it.

Daver
07-08-2003, 09:42 PM

Umm,no it is not historically accurate,nor is it anatomically true,as a high profile black professor and activist has already stated(his name escapes me at the moment),he calls Dusty's comments "unfortunate,and misjudged".

As far as his comments being racist,I will let the members that are of African or Latin descent decide on that,it was directed at them,not me.

voodoochile
07-08-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by daver
Umm,no it is not historically accurate,nor is it anatomically true,as a high profile black professor and activist has already stated(his name escapes me at the moment),he calls Dusty's comments "unfortunate,and misjudged".

As far as his comments being racist,I will let the members that are of African or Latin descent decide on that,it was directed at them,not me.

Yeah, wasn't there some reporter who pointed out that blacks succumb to heat related illnesses at a faster rate than whites?

idseer
07-08-2003, 09:53 PM

i remember discussions on this during the 'jimmy the greek' fiasco, and recall evidence being presented which did show genetic differences between warmer climated folk and cooler.
i don't pretend to know who is absolutely right, but i do think the point is certainly in question.
in any event, he has the right to his belief and i fail to see ANY racism in it. what if he'd said white players are better at handling the cooler weather?
i do believe the whole idea of what's racist and what isn't has been badly distorted.

voodoochile
07-08-2003, 09:56 PM
i remember discussions on this during the 'jimmy the greek' fiasco, and recall evidence being presented which did show genetic differences between warmer climated folk and cooler.
i don't pretend to know who is absolutely right, but i do think the point is certainly in question.
in any event, he has the right to his belief and i fail to see ANY racism in it. what if he'd said white players are better at handling the cooler weather?
i do believe the whole idea of what's racist and what isn't has been badly distorted.

Okay, so at the least it was stupid, misinformed and sad. At the most it was blatently racist, stupid, misinformed and sad.

Take your pick either one is fine with me...

duke of dorwood
07-08-2003, 10:01 PM
Anything a black says that suggests racism on their behalf is always "misjudged". If Baker talks like that in public, just think what he says and thinks when he isnt. Wake up everyone to this snake oil salesman. Makes one really miss a gentleman like Don Baylor in this town.

Daver
07-08-2003, 10:07 PM
what if he'd said white players are better at handling the cooler weather?

I'll go you one better,what if Joe Torre made the exact same comments Dusty did?

What do you think would be the lead story on Sportscenter?

This is a two way street,does Dusty get a pass because he is of African descent?

WhiteSoxWinner
07-08-2003, 10:09 PM

Dusty's quote started off by saying dark skinned people are more adpted to heat. That is when he rambled on and mentioned something to the effect of "Isn't that why they brought us here?"

Black people are more adapted to heat? Tell that to Korey Stringer, no disrespect intended or implied. If what Dusty said is true, why aren't there tons of white players dropping like flies in NFL training camps? Why are the white and black skinned players both out there for the same amount of time? The fairer skinned players should not be able to keep pace under Professor Dusty's analysis.

And before it comes up, to quote ESPN shortly after Steve Bechler's death:

Shortly after lineman Korey Stringer's heatstroke death in 2001, the NFL banned ephedra, saying it could interfere with the body's ability to regulate heat. (A supplement containing ephedra was found in Stringer's locker, although there's no evidence it caused his death) .

Bechler's death puts baseball on alert (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0219/1511461.html)

hose
07-08-2003, 10:12 PM
Thats my job, as minister of intelligence (I know, cubs dont have any heh heh) and media watchdog

Is that guy in the Crawdad outfit really one of your operatives? :D:

hose
07-08-2003, 10:15 PM

I thought Murph from the Score used a wheel to measure them and came up with 347 feet.

idseer
07-08-2003, 10:19 PM
I'll go you one better,what if Joe Torre made the exact same comments Dusty did?

What do you think would be the lead story on Sportscenter?

This is a two way street,does Dusty get a pass because he is of African descent?

are we talking about what the press would do .... or what's reasonable?
in any event, dusty did NOT get a pass, and for another, imo, torre should have had the same right to say it that dusty did.

idseer
07-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
Dusty's quote started off by saying dark skinned people are more adpted to heat. That is when he rambled on and mentioned something to the effect of "Isn't that why they brought us here?"

Black people are more adapted to heat? Tell that to Korey Stringer, no disrespect intended or implied. If what Dusty said is true, why aren't there tons of white players dropping like flies in NFL training camps? Why are the white and black skinned players both out there for the same amount of time? The fairer skinned players should not be able to keep pace under Professor Dusty's analysis.

And before it comes up, to quote ESPN shortly after Steve Bechler's death:

well, you've brought up one example of a black man who over-extended his heat threshold.
get back to me when you have some stats on the subject.

WhiteSoxWinner
07-08-2003, 10:39 PM

well, you've brought up one example of a black man who over-extended his heat threshold.

Sorry, I missed your scientifc articles backing up your statements. I mean obviously your memory about a discussion between unnamed sources during the 'jimmy the greek' fiasco counts as vaild back up to support your position. In addition, you have provided a number of historical references citing well respected doctors of history who have all noted that the slave trade was all about people who stand up to the heat.

I have cited a case where a darker skinned player COULD NOT HANDLE THE HEAT AND DIED. I have not seen any articles of hard fact supporting that darker skinned players hold up better in the heat. As a matter of fact, I have not seen ONE article or instance cited by you of a fair skinned person even so much as getting woozy from the heat. Where are you pulling your facts from, besides your memory?

WhiteSoxWinner
07-08-2003, 11:35 PM

OK, you want facts, I've elected to show two sources, with links, but I'll also provide the details as to how to reproduce my results. Here we go...

First: The Wisconsin State Department of Health and Family Services - Under the link for Risk Factors (http://www.dhfs.state.wi.us/rl_DSL/Providers/heat.htm#Risk) it lists the following as risk factors:
Conditions that can increase the risk for heat-related illness include:
Age : the very young (under 4) and the elderly (over 65) are more vulnerable.
Obesity : people who are overweight have greater difficulty regulating body temperature.
Medical conditions : conditions such as cardiovascular disease...
Medications : use of psychotropic medications and other medications that affect the body’s ability to perspire and/or regulate the heat response ...
(Note: quote editted to keep it short see link for full details. Note 2: no mention of race)

Second: The Palm Beach County Board of Commissioners - Offer an online pamphlet on Heat Stress Thermal Stress (http://www.co.palm-beach.fl.us/PubInf/Publications/pdf_files/HeatStress.pdf) notes the following risk factors for heat stress:
Risk Factors
1. Physical Exertion
2. Acclimation - being unaccustomed to work in heat
3. Wearing clothes that raps body heat - dark colors
4. Age and individual physical susceptibility
5. Being overweight
6. Medication
(note again, no mention of race)

I found these two articles, along with many others that all said the same thing by going to Yahoo and searching on "Heat Exhaustion Susceptibility". In all the articles I reviewed, not one noted anything about race. Unless it is some mass PC coverup, which I highly doubt when were talking about public safety, race is never mentioned as a factor for susceptibility to heat exhaustion, or for that matter heat stroke (most articles address both).

I will kindly wait for you to provide sources to back up your statement that race does play a part in susceptibility.

StepsInSC
07-08-2003, 11:45 PM
Less fightin more lovin please.

xil357
07-09-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by hose
I thought Murph from the Score used a wheel to measure them and came up with 347 feet.

Is this true? Can we get confirmation of this? A self-admitted slobbering Cubs fan acknowledging that Wrigley's power alley's are obscenely little-league? This is too rich...

soxrme
07-09-2003, 08:32 AM
Par for the course for a bandwagoneering, corporate-owned media that seeks to maximize profits through publishing inoffensive consensus pablum that the breeding vacuous lemmings who populate the vast suburban wasteland consume in mass quantities with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

The spheres of information and entertainment have been merging into "infotainment" that is light on substance and heavy on saccharine. The Dusty and Sammy circle-jerk is one of the most obvious manifestations of it.
I think I agree!