PDA

View Full Version : Since when do we have a mascot?

MarqSox
07-08-2003, 10:01 AM
Found this on some real estate Web site (working on a mortgage rate article) ...

Major League Baseball Team Mascots Step up to the Plate for Youth Clubs in Chicago

RISMEDIA, July 7- In a league of their own, eight feathered and furry Major League Baseball team mascots will take their turn at bat in the second-annual Century 21(R) Major League Baseball Mascot Home Run Derby event on Saturday, July 12 at 10 a.m. (CDT). The event is part of John Hancock All-Star FanFest at McCormick Place, one of the main attractions of 2003 Major League Baseball All-Star Week.

Similar in format to the Century 21 Home Run Derby competition slated for Monday, July 14 at 7 p.m. (CDT) at Chicago's U.S. Cellular Field, each mascot will be matched with a lucky child from the Boys and Girls Clubs of Chicago or the Union Boys and Girls Club. These eight children were selected at random for the chance to win a Century 21 Dream Clubhouse should his or her Major League Baseball(R) Mascot partner capture the Century 21 Mascot Home Run Derby title.

These playful characters will hit an oversized rubber ball off a tee located at home plate, aiming for a screen over the outfield fence. The line-up of home run hitting mascots includes:

* Junction Jack - Houston Astros
* Lou Seal - San Francisco Giants
* The Bird - Baltimore Orioles
* Spinner - Chicago White Sox
* Pirate Parrot - Pittsburgh Pirates
* Gapper - Cincinnati Reds
* Stomper - Oakland A's
* Wally the Green Monster - Boston Red Sox

Also spreading cheer at the event will be the Century 21 System's own feathered mascots: Nestor and Houser, ambassadors for Century 21 Real Estate Corporation.

*** is Spinner?? :?:

Hangar18
07-08-2003, 10:11 AM
only mascot i know of is Victor E Banana ....

jortafan
07-08-2003, 10:15 AM
Whatever a Spinner is, I'm sure it is ridiculous (it's a JR creation, after all) and probably will make Ribbie and Roobarb roll over in their graves.

Seriously though, this is the first time I have ever heard of the White Sox having a mascot, ever since the aforementioned Rib and Roob disappeared from the Comiskey scene.

Procol Harum
07-08-2003, 10:21 AM
I seem to remember seeing some sort of kiddy silver and black raccoon or somesuch friendly mammal associated with stuff like the Sox Training Camps and the "Silver & Black Pack"--methinks that must be "Spinner."

I'm with Hangar--I think the true Sox mascot could only be Victor E. Banana. If Gallas has any guts there'll be a dude in a big yellow foam banana walking around the Cell at the next home game!!

:bandance:

anewman35
07-08-2003, 10:26 AM
The mascot of the Silver and Black Pack used to be Waldo The White Sox Wolf, but I don't recall ever seeing him on anything but Silver and Black Pack stuff and the occational Scoreboard video.

RibbieRubarb
07-08-2003, 10:28 AM
and what was wrong with Ribbie and Rubarb??

LOL

But I agree...whats a spinner?

jortafan
07-08-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
I think the true Sox mascot could only be Victor E. Banana. If Gallas has any guts there'll be a dude in a big yellow foam banana walking around the Cell at the next home game!!

Are you volunteering to wear the costume in the Chicago summer heat?

RibbieRubarb
07-08-2003, 10:34 AM
Here is the San Franciso Spiders mascot "Spinner"

http://www.mascotspot.com/pics/SF-spinner.gif

I wonder if that means our new mascot could be a spider??

whitesoxwilkes
07-08-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by jortafan
Are you volunteering to wear the costume in the Chicago summer heat?

Wooo hooo! I no longer have to do it!

:)

RibbieRubarb
07-08-2003, 10:42 AM
According to this story on Yahoo!, there is NO mention of a White Sox mascot participating...

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030702/nyw108_1.html

MarqSox
07-08-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by RibbieRubarb
According to this story on Yahoo!, there is NO mention of a White Sox mascot participating...

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030702/nyw108_1.html

Looks like Spinner has been replaced by Homer of the Braves. I hope he's no relation to the Braves' mercifully retired Chief Knockahoma.

Hangar18
07-08-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Looks like Spinner has been replaced by Homer of the Braves.

DOOHHHH ! Why did Ribbie and Roobarb disappear?
I like Ribbie the more of the two. And did anyone notice how
once the Sox got mascots, they started winning......

Hangar18
07-08-2003, 10:59 AM
Theres a few costume shops in town...... I wonder how fast
we can get a Yellow Banana Costume together to look like
Vic. We'd have to get Wilkes exact measurements/height
to make this work.......

MarqSox
07-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Anyone else find it interesting that, with five professional teams, that Chicago only has two official mascots and that both belong to the Bulls? Pro teams without mascots are rare enough, but I think it says a lot about Chicagoans that we don't need that crap distracting us from the game (although, you could argue that the Cubs would have one except there's no room to put the dang thing in that bandbox). I know the Bears have that bizarre guy with the Doug Plank jersey and the bear skull (!) on his head, but that's just strange.

Procol Harum
07-08-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
to make this work.......

If Wilkes won't do it, I'll do it for $250 a game plus ticket, transportation & churros... :D:

A.T. Money
07-08-2003, 11:14 AM
I can only imagine the look on the security guards faces when a 6-foot tall banana walks up to the turnstyles. LOL.

voodoochile
07-08-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
I can only imagine the look on the security guards faces when a 6-foot tall banana walks up to the turnstyles. LOL.

You don't think they'll find it very apealing?

maurice
07-08-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
You don't think they'll find it very apealing?

<groan>

wirtzbeer55
07-08-2003, 12:31 PM
Anyone else find it interesting that, with five professional teams, that Chicago only has two official mascots and that both belong to the Bulls? Pro teams without mascots are rare enough, but I think it says a lot about Chicagoans that we don't need that crap distracting us from the game (although, you could argue that the Cubs would have one except there's no room to put the dang thing in that bandbox). I know the Bears have that bizarre guy with the Doug Plank jersey and the bear skull (!) on his head, but that's just strange.

Don't forget "Tommy Hawk". Thanks Mr. Wirtz.

doogiec
07-08-2003, 01:06 PM
Could "Spinner" be some kind of reference to the scoreboard pinwheels? I noticed that the Sox seem to be using the pinwheels more and more (All star logo, along the club level facade, etc). Maybe they intend to introduce a new mascot at the ASG?

The Cell has had a room marked "Mascots Dressing Room" since it was built, which would lead me to assume they were planning to consider this at some time in the future anyway.

LuvSox
07-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by doogiec
The Cell has had a room marked "Mascots Dressing Room" since it was built

"Managers" was written over it in magic marker.

PaleHoseGeorge
07-08-2003, 01:34 PM
...I think it says a lot about Chicagoans that we don't need that crap distracting us from the game (although, you could argue that the Cubs would have one except there's no room to put the dang thing in that bandbox).

The Cubs DO have a mascot. They just don't pay him.

:woo-woo
"WOO! Give Me! WOO! A job! WOO! I want! WOO! A job!"

Here's another bit of embarrassing Flubbie history that the Cubune has successfully hidden under the rug:

Manager Cap Anson (a terrible racist) hired a foot-shuffling black man to sing, dance, and be the team mascot back at the turn of the 20th century. With Woo-Woo in the bleachers, has anything REALLY changed?

:lynch&mcfail
"Changed? Well yes, of course. Those Flubbie teams from 100 years ago won a few championships. You won't see THAT anymore!"

Hangar18
07-08-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon

I think Wilkes is a bit taller than that .... heh heh

SpringfldFan
07-08-2003, 01:43 PM

True, but I am not so sure I approve of the fact that there are no longer any honeybear cheerleaders or White Sox ballgirls. Hey, there has to be a line somewhere!

Clembasbal
07-08-2003, 01:48 PM
What about that fat guy that used to get up on the dugouts about 5 or 6 years ago and anoy the hell out of everyone!

Is he dead or did they trade him away in the White Flag Deal?

Just curious

:rock

~How many saves do I have?

D'Angelo F Death
07-08-2003, 02:03 PM
Joey Bag O'Donuts? Probably a hypertension casualty.

whitesoxwilkes
07-08-2003, 02:06 PM
I think Wilkes is a bit taller than that .... heh heh

I'm 6'4" in my banana shoes.

whitesoxwilkes
07-08-2003, 02:08 PM
to make this work.......

6'2" barefoot. Somewhat of a beer belly, but nothing quite like Voodoo or Torn Labrum. Huge butt.

IronFisk
07-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Yeah, this is all coming together now. I would imagine in a city like ours there must be a bitchin' bananna costume just waiting to be picked. Whoever decides to wear it MUST have the WSI logo tatooed on the back somewhere - gotta give us credit where it's due!

:bandance:

keep on truckin Vic E.B.!

doogiec
07-09-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Clembasbal
What about that fat guy that used to get up on the dugouts about 5 or 6 years ago and anoy the hell out of everyone!

Is he dead or did they trade him away in the White Flag Deal?

Just curious

The fat guy on the dugout was the same clown the Sox fired when he played Whitesnake music pregame when Chuck Finley was in town. He was the "White Sox DJ" after being removed from public duty on the dugouts.

mandmandm
07-10-2003, 03:39 PM
Time to peel the banana.

Procol Harum
07-10-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by mandmandm
Time to peel the banana.

Do costume stores rent dung suits?

duke of dorwood
07-10-2003, 03:47 PM
Fire that #$%^& banana

Nellie_Fox