PDA

View Full Version : Frank & Sammy on the cover of T.V. Guide

FarmerAndy
07-07-2003, 06:03 PM
The cover story talks about the Hall of Fame chances of Thomas and Sosa. It made me a little angry, but I should have known what I was getting into before I read it. It says that Frank still has some work to do before he gets in. And then it says, of course, that Sammy is a lock and goes on kissing his a$$. :angry:

MarqSox
07-07-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
The cover story talks about the Hall of Fame chances of Thomas and Sosa. It made me a little angry, but I should have known what I was getting into before I read it. It says that Frank still has some work to do before he gets in. And then it says, of course, that Sammy is a lock and goes on kissing his a$$. :angry:

Well, barring the discovery of hard evidence of Shammy's steroid use, it's probably right. Sorry.

LuvSox
07-07-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Well, barring the discovery of hard evidence of Shammy's steroid use, it's probably right. Sorry.

That evidence won't come out until long after he's retired and in the Hall. I'd like to hear the Cubbie "fans" excuses when he succumbs to the brain tumors. By the way, who reads the T.V. Guide?

voodoochile
07-07-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
That evidence won't come out until long after he's retired and in the Hall. I'd like to hear the Cubbie "fans" excuses when he succumbs to the brain tumors. By the way, who reads the T.V. Guide?

Lot's of people. However, who reads TVG for the baseball analysis? People who don't understand baseball...

RKMeibalane
07-07-2003, 08:37 PM
This isn't surprising. Frank Thomas is the closest thing to Ted Williams or Lou Gehrig any of us have seen, yet because he doesn't hop or blow kisses after each of his homeruns, he has take a backseat to Sammy Sosa. Face it, guys. The media is full of clueless people who know nothing about how baseball is supposed to be played, and they want to bring off all us down to their level. The sad truth is, many people have taken the bait.

MarkV
07-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Baseball used to cater to the intelligent fan-not anymore. As long as Pud Selig and his minions are around, the state of baseball will get worse and worse. Baseball needs a strong commissioner like Bart Giamatti or Fay Vincent-guys that don't care about making a quick buck, but care about making the game great like it used to be. As long as these goofballs that are in charge now are running things, we'll have to live with idiots like Sosa being deified and real stars like Maggs pushed into the background. :(:

Lip Man 1
07-07-2003, 09:39 PM
Hurry! Where are the private investigators, the conspiracy theorists! TV Guide is ANTI WHITE SOX!!! It must be part of the Tribune conspiracy!

Lip

Thunderstruck30
07-07-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox

By the way, who reads the T.V. Guide?

I think TV Guide is the most read magazine in the country. But I could be wrong.

xil357
07-08-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Hurry! Where are the private investigators, the conspiracy theorists! TV Guide is ANTI WHITE SOX!!! It must be part of the Tribune conspiracy!

Lip

From dictionary.com:

con·spir·a·cy (_P_)_ n. pl. con·spir·a·cies

1. An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act.
2. A group of conspirators.
3. Law. An agreement between two or more persons to commit a crime or accomplish a legal purpose through illegal action.
4. A joining or acting together, as if by sinister design: a conspiracy of wind and tide that devastated coastal areas.

For crimeny sakes, how many times to I have to repeat that it is NOT a conspiracy, but rather the logical outcome given the profit motive of the corporate-owned media and their collective bandwagoneering perception that there are many more Cubs fans than Sox fans in the general public. There is nothing illegal or subversive about it in a capitalist society.

jortafan
07-08-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
This isn't surprising. Frank Thomas is the closest thing to Ted Williams or Lou Gehrig any of us have seen, yet because he doesn't hop or blow kisses after each of his homeruns, he has take a backseat to Sammy Sosa. Face it, guys. The media is full of clueless people who know nothing about how baseball is supposed to be played, and they want to bring off all us down to their level. The sad truth is, many people have taken the bait.

It's ironic you would compare Frank to Ted Williams or Lou Gehrig.

Gehrig spent his whole career in the shadow of Babe Ruth and then Joe DiMaggio, was considered quiet and uncolorful and didn't become the mythical lovable lug we now think of until it was learned that he was dying.

As far as Williams is concerned, he was considered during his playing days a grumpy, arrogant cuss who didn't show fans any love or respect (sounds just like Frank). It was made a big deal at the time that he refused to tip his cap after home runs, even after his last one in his final at-bat.

Those two guys are the last ones who ought to be compared, even indirectly, to a suck-up like Sammy.

But on the positive side, maybe it means that Frank's reputation will undergo a major overhaul after his career ends, and Thomas' name will be remembered as solidly as Williams' or Gehrig's. People will only then appreciate just how great a player we have had a chance to see in recent years.

TommyJohn
07-08-2003, 11:06 PM
I'm not going to scream "conspiracy" on this one, but rather
"it figures" that a White Sox guy would go overlooked.

The writer mentions that the White Sox haven't had a Hall of
Famer in Comiskey Park since Luis Aparicio departed in 1970.
Um...does the name Carlton Fisk ring a bell? He played for the
pale hose until 1993. Granted, everyone identifies him with the
Red Sox because of his overrated home run in Game 6 of the
'75 series, but there is a little thing called "research" that the
guy could have done before writing the article.