PDA

View Full Version : For the Robin Ventura fans...

MarkEdward
07-07-2003, 02:18 PM
He's playing second base right now for the Yankees...

Brian26
07-07-2003, 04:43 PM
Has to be the first time in his career. That's crazy. He's righthanded though, so it's not THAT crazy I guess. Robin doesn't have a ton of range, so I can't imagine him catching up to balls to his left in the hole. Interesting.

WhiteSox = Life
07-07-2003, 04:47 PM
So much for the Red Sox wiping the floor with the Yankees in the first two games. What did they net in this series, regarding the standings?

Not a single game.

RKMeibalane
07-07-2003, 05:25 PM
Ventura at 2B? That almost sounds like something that :jerry would do.

LauraJ14
07-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Didn't Robin play 2nd base in last year's all-star game
because "Genius" Torre had to have 5 shortstops?

SaltyPretzel
07-08-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
Robin doesn't have a ton of range, so I can't imagine him catching up to balls to his left in the hole.

Ryne Sandberg couldn't either. Ole!

Brian26
07-08-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by SaltyPretzel
Ryne Sandberg couldn't either. Ole!

He couldn't? I'm no Sandberg apologist, but I seem to recall him magically getting balls to his left that seemingly were guaranteed hits. He may have slowed late in his career, but he was a vacuum in the 80's. Not that he had anything on Juice Cruz or Wayne Tolleson.

xil357
07-08-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
He couldn't? I'm no Sandberg apologist, but I seem to recall him magically getting balls to his left that seemingly were guaranteed hits. He may have slowed late in his career, but he was a vacuum in the 80's. Not that he had anything on Juice Cruz or Wayne Tolleson.

It sure helped Sandberg , though, that Wrigley's infield grass was cut high to more significantly slow ground balls, making it statistically more probable for an infielder to get to a ball. Sandberg was good with the glove, but he was helped by a friendly infield. And as for photos of him diving for balls, notice they are all in Wrigley. Gee, that might also be because Wrigley's day games are great for photographers, which is why so many baseball cards have photos of players from NL teams in Wrigley. (That's also why there are lots of baseball cards with photos taken in Oakland, because the A's play a fair amount of day games.)

Sandberg is "remembered" for his defense because photographers had so many opportunities to see him dive for balls that were slowed down by the infield grass at Wrigley during day games. Heck, I hate all things Cubs and posters of Sandberg diving for ground balls are seared into my brain. I also believe tht Chevrolet ran commercials for several years in the late 80s that featured a slow-motion Sandberg diving for a ball to his left.

Again, he was a good fielder, but not as good as Cubdom would have us believe.

Clembasbal
07-08-2003, 12:30 PM
Ventura was at 2B because Jeter and Soriano both got hurt in the 3rd inning.

Which was good, but they are ok now. (Damn)

:gulp: